Tell me what you think of these extra curricular activities.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

olliewagner

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently doing free lab work for "Donated Dental", doing normal lab work, shadowing a maxillofacial prosthodontist, and planning to attend the local Dental club at my college in the fall. Will these activities help me significantly (not saying replacing a good GPA and high DAT scores) on a dental school application? Would there be any other good things to do?

Members don't see this ad.

You are just fine. All I had was shadowing a general dentist for 80h at the time of application. You have done way more things than me.

I've got 30hr of general dentist shadowing
60 hours of ER volunteering
70 hours at a free dental/medical clinic

Do you think those are decent. :confused:

I'm trying to hook up with an endo or ortho in atlanta, GA but its not that easy :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Olliewagner,
What is "Donated Dental"? I have never heard of that.

olliewagner said:
Will these activities help me significantly (not saying replacing a good GPA and high DAT scores) on a dental school application? Would there be any other good things to do?

No, not significantly. They'll help, but most everybody is in the same boat you are with similar extracurricular stuff going on.

Any shadowing experiences at all is thought to be decent.

DrGee said:
Olliewagner,
What is "Donated Dental"? I have never heard of that.

Donated Dental is a program set up here in New Mexico where a free set of upper and lower dentures are given out to a person w/o state funds that can't afford them (usually it's to a mentally handicap person).

olliewagner said:
Donated Dental is a program set up here in New Mexico

Up here in New Mexico!!? I think for most people New Mexico
is 'down there.' :D

Mithridates said:
Up here in New Mexico!!? I think for most people New Mexico
is 'down there.' :D

Heheh, well :p. I looked into it more, and it looks like it's nation wide.