Tell me what you think!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tndoc12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
sGPA: 3.7
cGPA: 3.6
No MCAT yet. Taking it this summer.

I really want to go to an MD school. What do I need to get on the MCAT to be competitive? I am also an EMT so I have good medical exp.

Members don't see this ad.

An MCAT score of 31 would give you a very good chance (but as bannie says, aim for a 45).

Being an EMT gives you great clinical patient experience, but be sure you also have clinical environment experience by working in a hospital, clinic, nursing home or hospice, and shadowing experience of a few types of doc (not just an ER doc) so you have a wider view of what practicing mdiine is like. If you are paid to be an EMT, you'll need community service activitie as well.

Side note: please take your name off your post by editing. SND is meant to be anonymous.

Good cGPA & sGPA, but definitely aim to do well on the MCAT--at least a 29 or higher.

Also, I agree about making sure to have a variety of shadowing and volunteering experiences. Your being an EMT is a major plus.

I would aim to take the MCAT in April/May... that way if it isn't as high as you want it, you can re-take it in the summer in this app cycle.

Best of luck.