Tell me where to go!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've posted this question on MomMD, but thougt I would post here, too....I'm a frequent flyer of the SDN and MomMD forums and PROUD OF IT :clap: I just don't post much... but these forums have been a wonderful source of info!!! I'm lazy, so I'll copy and paste :) :
I am currently finishing up my pre-req's post bach and am now thinking about where to apply next year (it'll be here before I know it!!). I am a divorced mom with an 8 yr old, wonderful, beautiful daughter. I know this is going to be a difficulty journey, but I am determined, so don't even try to change my mind . My original intention has been to apply to med-schools in Illinios (Chicago area) so we can be near my ex. He is very willing to help out as much as possible and we, thankfully, have a friendly relationship--we both want what's best for our child, period. However, lately I've been stewing over the cost of tuition, and since I am a Texas resident, tuition is VERY cheap vs. chicago schools. What would be the most favorable thing to do...go to medschool in Texas and apply for residencies in Chicago? Would that be unrealistic? I am concerned about the amount of hours required during clinicals 3rd and 4th years in medschool. Are years 3 & 4 somewhat comparable to residency in the number of hours away from home? My number-one priority, without a doubt, is my daughter. I just need some honest opinions/advice from some current 3rd/4th yrs. on what would be the best for someone in my situation. Sorry to make this so lengthy...your advice is greatly appreciated!!
One more thing (sorry):
I don't have ANY family here in TX, although my mother has offered to move here during my 3-4 years, but I'm not sure that would actually happen...alot could happen between now and then. So many variables!!! What to do???!!! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

What about other schools in the midwest. Mayo Medical School is a very reasonable cost and about a 6 hour drive from Chicago (short direct flights are available several times per day as well).

Hello.

First of all, congratulations on making the decision to apply to medical school. I wish you luck, stamina, and every success.

I think at this stage of the game you're best off giving yourself as many options as possible, and not planning too far ahead. The application process is thoroughly unpredicatable, and you want to go into it with as much flexiblility as you can. This is not the time to be ruling out possibilities -- the application process itself will do that for you soon enough. Apply to Chicago-area schools, since your ex's presence gives you a compelling reason to be there. Apply to Texas schools as well, since there's a financial advantage. And apply to any other schools that seem particularly appealing, or are known for being generous with financial aid. Then see what happens. You'll be able to make a more informed decision when you actually have acceptances and financial aid packets in hand.

For the same reason, don't dwell too much upon where you want to do your residency. That's six years away, and who knows what could happen in that interval: your ex could take a job in another part of the country, you could meet someone and fall madly in love, you could decide upon a competitive residency and thus have very little say in where you're placed. Take it as it comes.

As far as clinical rotations (and residencies) go, you'll find that the hours vary HUGELY depending on what rotation you're on. Surgery may require your presence at 4:30 AM seven days a week, whereas family med may be 8-5 Monday to Friday. There's also a fair amount of variety depending on what team you're on -- each sets its own schedule. Just make sure you communicate regularly with the administration of your school and with each rotation director. If you inform them of your situation, in all likelihood they'll work with you to make things as smooth as possible.

Best of luck! Enjoy!

Thanks for your replies!
I know it seems I'm jumping the gun on deciding where to apply...I do plan to apply to a variety of schools to improve my chances. I am just such a PLANNER!!! It's comforting to have a plan, although I realize many things could change in the meantime. I just want to go into this with both eyes open, ready for everything...if possible:D Thanks for your words of encouragement!! I know I can do this!