Tell me why getting a dog would be dumb...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Despite my logical side knowing what a terrible idea getting a puppy or even a grown dog as an MS1 woul'd be, I'm experiencing the dog version of:

cat_proximity.png

So apart from the problems of:

a) the conflict between it needing attention and me being at the school/hospital so much
b) the need to find a sitter if I ever do away rotations or whatever
c) the added expense

Why else shouldn't I get a puppy? Talk me out of it SDN...

Members don't see this ad.

Cons:
chewing
potty training
hair
possibility of constant barking
chewing
constantly cleaning up after it
if it turns out to be a bad dog it will probably live for 20 years
it might throw up and poop every where anytime it has to ride in a car
Pros:
It will always love you, even when you don't love yourself.
a good dog is a chick magnet
a good dog is a great for keeping people entertained (and of course yourself)
best hiking/camping/boating companion ever (if its a good dog)

Members don't see this ad :)
you might be on a roll at the library, but that dog is going to make you drop everything and go home to go for a walk.

They might also the play games with you for attention. Like knock over the trash can. for an animal even negative attention is better than none. This could also distract you when you need you focus most.

Taking care of a dog in medical school is a huge hassle. If you are single (and don't have a spouse working regular hours) it will be difficult to get home to take them out and give them the attention they need. MSI, MSII, perhaps, are possible. What are you going to do during 3rd and 4th year? Ask to leave a surgery to take your dog out?

Are you going to have time to take it on walks, etc.? You will just be setting that dog up to be miserable.

I have two dogs and two cats, but I also have a husband who works regular hours to help in their care. No way could I do it on my own. (Except the cats, I could handle them easily as a med student).

Get a cat if you need a pet.

I was actually thinking the other day how much I want a dog, but when is the point in my life I could actually take care of one. I'm single and live alone, so no way right now, and it's gonna only get worse during clinicals/residency.

But I hate cats. I also hate yappy toy dogs. I want a big strong dog (I love German Shepherds and Huskies, particularly). Which involves me having a big yard for my big strong dog to run around and dig in, which, with my loans, isn't happening till I'm 50. *sigh*

You won't have the time to take proper care, unless you have someone else who can help you out on a daily basis.
It's not fair to the animal.

Let alone what you are going to do come M3/4 and beyond.
You would need to have a pet sitter/dog walker etc come to your house pretty much every day.

Multiple posts, please delete

Last edited:
Multiple posts, please delete

Last edited:
Admittedly I have a significant other that works regular hours, but getting my puppy a little over a year ago was one of the better decisions I've made. It's probably my favorite thing in the world. It loves you no matter what, and theres no better get me up after a rough day than wrestling around with a dog.

I tend to agree with the above poster. I'm going to be an MS1 soon. I have 2 dogs, 2 cats, and 2 horses. My horses are my hobby - it's what I "do" outside of work and school. I can't imagine life without my animals. No matter what kind of day I've had, my dogs are still going to meet me at the door happy to see me.

Consider adopting an older dog who is house/kennel trained. That way, you won't have to spend as much time with the training. I am married so my husband helps me out with the care, but if you make it a priority to care for your one dog (work during the day, evenings off or study at home, hire a dog walker, etc) I don't see why you can't do it.

Just please - if you do get a dog - understand it is a life-long committment and not something you can "get rid of" if it doesn't work out.....

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would be really hard as a single med student. : / Though, if you were determined to do it, it would be a good idea to get an older, well-behaved, small dog. Since most people won't adopt adult doggies, this might be easier to find than you might think. I plan on getting such a dog when I move, but then again, I'm married to a computer science major.

I will say, though, that considering you will be "lonely" at times during medical school (particularly during rotations when you don't know anyone), there are other pets you might consider. If you have a good aquarium, fish are pretty low-maintenance. You can get automatic feeders that will work for a month, too! It may sound silly, but a fish can be pretty comforting (this I say from experience). Cats also require less care, since they're... well, cats. You only get to pet them because they feel like being petted. Very independent creatures.

If you need an animal, get a cat. They require a lot less work, they don't go crazy if you're gone all day, they don't need to be walked or potty trained, but can still cuddle and play and whatnot.

If you don't like cats, maybe a goldfish or hamster?

I would actually say get a Ferret... I had one while I was in college and it was probably one of the most enjoyable pets you can get that is extremely low maintenance. They are very smart and much more interactive than a cat. Best of all, if you have a couple days where you arnt going to be around for very long, such as the surgical hours someone posted above, Ferrets are nocturnal...they wont even know your gone. Plus, its hillarious to get to school and go into your backback to get a pen and you find all they are all missing...until you get home and they are hidden under your bed.

Volunteer at an animal shelter on the weekends. Find friends who own dogs you can adopt for short periods of time. Like kids, animals are much more fun when you don't have to be responsible for them all the time.

Volunteer at an animal shelter on the weekends. Find friends who own dogs you can adopt for short periods of time. Like kids, animals are much more fun when you don't have to be responsible for them all the time.

Or you could become a foster parent for dogs at a shelter. You could get a feel for what the responsibility is like, and you would be looking at a couple months rather than many years of commitment. You would be saving lives, depending on the shelter you could be getting free veterinary care/food, and if you fell in love with a dog you could always adopt it. If not, you wouldn't be doing a terrible thing by returning it to the shelter after a few months (returned adoptions have a way higher chance of euthanasia, whereas it is expected to return fosters and does not hurt their chances of adoption).

Most vet students have pets and many have dogs. Very generally speaking, vet students have longer class days for the classroom years, but probably less insane hours for the clinical years. But it is a similarly demanding schedule and the dog-owning vet students I know are fine with it. Of course it helps if all your friends have dogs too, and many social events are bring-your-dog, but it's definitely not impossible.

As someone who had a kid during medical school, this thread cracks me up.

Just buy a Wilson volleyball and draw a face on it..

a lot of people don't like cats but they are way easier if you just want a pet. they poop in a box and you can leave them with just food and water for like three days. They aren't quite the same as a puppy, but they are still better than no pet. You could also adopt an adult dog that would need less attention, or you could just say screw it and get a puppy. They are really cute and relieve a lot of stress...

just realized someone already said almost exactly what I just said in my last post, oh well

+1 on cats then

I knew before i started med school that I just had to get a dog, so I got my little one a month before starting and had her fully trained before I moved into my apartment. I didn't have any hesitations, and have no regrets now. No, its not the easiest thing in the world. Yes, you have to plan your day/week in advance. You need to make sure you'll come home to walk and have time to play. You want to make sure you take care of clean ups, baths, food, etc etc. Initially, I'd have to rush home (i live close to school) so I could walk her 7-8 times a day. When she gets ignored, she gets whiny, and she does some naughty destructive behavior to get attention.

But I wouldn't have it any other way.

This last semester was HARD, and in more ways than one. It wasn't just studying really hard, it was the whole atmosphere and getting used to a kind of people I've never had to get used to before. Its been stress of all sorts, one after another. Without my little pup there to greet me at the end of every day, ready to pelt me with hugs and kisses and licks no matter how crappy I did, ready to love me regardless of anything else, all of that has been a blessing. I wouldn't have had it any other way. Dogs are the greatest anti-depressants ever. They will give you unconditional love and you will be their favorite person. They don't care if you did horribly on that exam, or if you're a nervous wreck. When you pace the floor at night they'll stay up with you, when you're stressed and unsure about everything they'll do something to make you laugh. At least, my little pup will. She makes me laugh, and if I didn't have that I think I'd have a much harder time.

Regarding expenses...yes, it can be a lot, depending on what kind of pup you get. I was really lucky that I have a pretty healthy, well-behaved pup, plus she's hypoallergenic and doesn't shed at all. Vet bills haven't been the highest except for the basic shots, etc. Food can add up, and I cook for mine because I think its healthiest. So stuff can add up, but if you weigh out the positives I still get more out of how much I spend on her.

There aren't many people who have pets at my school, but I've heard that sometimes during third year people who have pets will pet-sit for each other, help each other out. I'm lucky that my parents live close and they love my dog, so they are happy to take her when things get extreme. That is definitely a plus: a friend or a family member who'd be willing to give you a hand that night before the exam.

For me, I think its somewhat like having a kid (some of my friends tell me that about me too!), except a LOT, lot easier. I have deep respect for my classmates who balance families with school. But that means I've also learned to balance a lot, to make sure I keep exercise in my schedule, allocate time properly so I have time with my pup, wake up early, etc etc. I think it'll be harder next year, and third year, so I'll be depending on my parents a lot. You really have to weight a lot out, but if you can work it out, a dog will be the greatest solace during the next four hard years. Feel free to PM me with any qs!

getting a puppy would make your life hard. i've grown up my whole life with a dog around, and now that i am on my own i have a dog of my own- but that's because it's hard for me, personally, to function without one. if you can live without a dog, maybe you should, or get a cat. if you can't live without a dog, or are allergic to cats (like me) then i highly recommend rescue.

i got my dog through a national breed rescue. i had to fill out a long application explaining my lifestyle and needs, and what i was looking for in a dog. to be fair, at the time i got her, i was working a regular job and medical school was just some long-shot dream which i did not mention on my rescue application. they might not approve you if are going to med school and if you live alone. but anyway, the thing about rescue (at least in my experience) is that these dogs live with a foster person first, and the foster person kind of figures out the personality of the dogs and looks for good adopter-adoptee matches. my dog could not be more perfect for me. she is not a barker, even though she is small. (Thank God.) this is because i said on my application "I live in an apartment with a roommate and cannot have constant barking." my dog was also housebroken and she is also trained to use indoor pee pads (so although I make it a point to come home at a certain time to walk her, i know if I ever run a bit late coming home, she is okay.) i spent a lot of time researching breeds and picking the perfect dog based on her personality and it was worth it.

some other things about my situation- i am living with an SO. if i lived by myself, it would be a lot harder. second, my parents also really love my dog, so if third year comes for me and i find myself single and unable to care for her, they are willing to take her in for a year or two. so if you get a dog, make sure you accept the fact that there may be times when you can't care for it alone, and have a plan for if that happens.

lastly, i know everyone hates on small dogs. but it costs me next to nothing to keep my dog fed and happy. of course you need to have money saved in case of emergency. but honestly, my month to month expense for my ten pound dog is probably less than 20 bucks.

edited to add: everyone points out that having to walk a dog is a pain. but its actually great to have an outside force that makes you stop what you are doing and go outside for a while. every morning, i wake up early, make a cup of coffee and take it with me while i take my dog for a long walk. it's really nice. its also nice that after a bad day, when i come home, i am forced to stop thinking about myself, and think about her needs for 20 minutes while i feed and walk her. it puts things in perspective. and seeing how excited she gets just to see me and to go on a walk reminds me that life is good. i know thats totally cheesy, but having a dog will do that to ya :)

lol wow

Dear Lord people have children and go to med school.

The biggest thing is do you have time to train the dog and train him well, and do you have back up for when you get stuck?

And here's a big thing that gets me. People don't research the best breed for them enough. Temperament, grooming, intelligence, and trainability--well, there's a lot you have to consider. And dogs do get into trouble when they are bored. If you get a bigger breed that is more like a work dog, like an Alaskan Malamute, well they are work dogs that need space and a lot extra exercise--beyond walking and a little playtime.

I mean you've got to be fair to the dog. And puppies, well I've bred, delivered and raised pups. But I also had help--was a good learning experience for my kids--especially when the bitch gets out of the whelping box and the puppies are whinning for their mother so they can nurse. Many times the kids or I would have to wake up and put mom back in w/ puppies and make sure they all latched on and effectively nursed. And like human babies, they nurse every two to three hours. Some mornings my daughter didn't know which end was up, and it was a bit of a hint about motherhood--at least early on.
The good thing was they followed mom and dad outside and did what they did, so they housetrained pretty well.

The bad thing is their chewing. It's not so bad if you don 't have expensive or new furniture. But if you have stuff you want to keep. . .well . . .

You can crate train them. That usually works well for people; but they still can't be stuck in the crate all day--and dogs are pack animals. . .so they don't really like being lonely. And God I loathe when people tie their dogs outside and leave them. That's just so horrible to me.

So they are kind of like childen. If you can train them, get to them in a reasonable period of time and spend time with them, as well as be prepared to take them to their vet visits--or the occasional emergency visit b/c they chewed the wrong thing or aren't eating or drinking and are getting dehydrated--and if you can see that they are regularly washed, nails clipped, and groomed--Oh yea, and brush their teeth regularly, then think it over. (if they are like mine and don't shed, they'll need a lot of grooming--it helps a little with allergies, but I have multiples,so it can get a bit expensive). If you can give them the love and attention they deserve and make it work and also have friends or partners or girlfriends/boyfriends, whatever, that can help you with them, they are so worth it.

It's one of those individual questions. What works for you won't work for someone else.

I love dogs and have always had them; but they can be work at times. They are also fun and cute and loyal. See, once you get one, you may find it tough to decide that it's too much for you. Plus then they have to go and reacclimate to someone else. Dogs do get stressed--and as I said are pack animals. Very few of them are like lone wolves.

Cats are nice too; I just tend to favor dogs. Dogs are inteligent animals and really they prefer to be clean, and that is part of the premise behind crate training. They are sensitive to smell and they tend to hate being near their own or anyone else's filth. That's why the crate size has to be just right for the particular dog. Seriously.

Will they get adventurous and get into things and get dirty? Yes. And they will have fun doing it; but they don't want to stay that way.

And even if they are more like inside dogs, you have to do your part with worm, tick, and flee preventions. And that can be expensive, especially if you have multiples. You do NOT EVER want to have flees. They can be a nightmare to get rid of, even with a lot of vigilance on your part. Got them one time many years ago--and I'm not even sure it was the dog that brought them into the house. They can be carried on people from their home to yours too. I'd be shocked after that experience to really believe fruitflies multiply as quickly as those SOBs. But within a week or so, we were 100% flee free--larvae and all. You have to do everything to break the flee reproduction cycle, and it can be a major pain.

Yes, dogs involve some work. But once they are trained and adjusted, no they are not as much work and involvement as children, or even say gardening in the summer, depending on what you are growing. And the benefits, at least to me, outweight the work or occasional problems. They also can go running with you and have been shown to decrease BP in people.

Why not borrow someone's dog when they are on vacation in the summer--if it's an easygoing kind of dog? Of course it is not the same as your own--training, temperament, bonding etc; but it will give you some idea of what's involved and if it is doable for you.

Just don't love em and leave em.

Also, the women will take notice if you can effectively handle caring for and loving a dog while doing the med school thing. So you might want to wait until you want to attract females that are true "couples" material. ;)

Last edited: