tell me why u choose your school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2001Hopeful

I'm applying to Western, Tuoro, NECOM, and Lake Erie. Can anyone tell me about your visit, interviews, and why you choose to go there besides the reason being Location.
thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hopeful,
I am currently a second year LECOM student, so I can offer you some insight on that one at least. What LECOM has to offer is that it has a small-school, (relatively) cooperative atmosphere where you know your core professors and get to work in some small group settings. There is a reasonable variety of rotations available, with travel involved, but don't expect to get more than a few rotations in Pittsburgh. You can get a decent education here.
Some things I wish I had considered more, though: first is the board pass rate. You won't find ours anywhere; the administration won't publish it. We (the students) estimate that it is somewhere in the area of 85%; however I can't vouch for the accuracy of that. Your board scores are the single most important thing you take away from your medical school, the only thing that counts in the long run.
Also, a word on the dress code and the attendance policy. I've noticed several heated debates about them on this bulliten board, and just to set the record straight: they do exist and they will never go away. They are in fact written into the school's charter, no kidding. I thought that those rules would be no big deal, but I underestimated the psychological impact of returning to grade school rules. They are enforced, but not evenly. The fact that some people can get away with breaking them but you never know whether you will be called on it makes them seem more onerous, believe me. And one thing to note about the attendance policy: LECOM holds class eight hours a day, five days a week. There are occasional Saturday and evening requirements as well. There is an exam every Monday. There are very few breaks, and some have manditory testing days taken out of the middle. With each successive class there has been less time off given to study for the boards; my class will get ten days. I am not an education scholar but I suspect that the lack of available study time negatively impacts our board scores. I hope that I don't sound like I am complaining; these are the facts of life here. I agreed to the policies, but I didn't really realize what I was agreeing to, and I might have decided differenly had I known. I want others to have that information.
Someone else made a comment that these policies reflect the tone of the administration. Amen to that. The controlling policies extend to blocking software installed on our computers, monitering of our e-mail and internet activity, and formal reprimanding of anyone who speaks to any media without a script from the PR department. There is a general lack of willingness to help, of consideration and respect for the students, which has caused a feeling of bitterness and frustration among myself and the other members of our student council. I feel disloyal in saying all these things, but I wish someone had said them to me. Perhaps it is the same at every medical school; I have no idea. Maybe others would care to comment. I guess what I'm saying is I think you can get just as good an education elsewhere, with less hassle.
Good luck to you. Being a doctor IS worth all the trouble it takes to get there. Just keep your eyes open.

Originally posted by snowbound:
And one thing to note about the attendance policy: LECOM holds class eight hours a day, five days a week. There are occasional Saturday and evening requirements as well. There is an exam every Monday. There are very few breaks, and some have manditory testing days taken out of the middle.

I was actually curious about what the hours for classes/labs for the other D.O. schools were like and if they are anywhere similiar to each other or not? I understand each school makes its own policy, but I'm just trying to get a feel for what kind of schedules other schools are on. I recall COMP has the eight hour days and they stressed the exams on Monday mornings as well, but they did mention they would try and cut down on the hours slightly. Anyone that would like to verify this? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
LECOM was the first school I interviewe at and was accepted to. Thank god I got in somewhere else (PCOM). Had I not got in anywhere, I would have thought long and hard about going to LECOM. I do not mean to bash the school, but the above posters concerns were huge issues for me.

Most DO schools have an excessive amount of class. Fortunately at PCOM there is no attendance policy (except for Dr. Meals last 2 radiology lectures, that is another whole can of worms). Things that are basically mandatory - anatomy lab, OMM lab, clinical biochem conferences. After that it is up to you. After the first couple weeks of the trimester I stopped going to everything except anatomy lecture. I passed everything with decent grades. It worked for me, but may not be for everyone.

1st trimester is very taxing, but a lot of it is due to the amount of time spent in lab (anatomy and histo for those who went to it). Some days we started at 9 am, some days we had a couple hour break, some days we got the afternoon off.

This trimester is better in some ways, because there are a number of afternoon that we have off completely. We rarely go until 5 pm. Biochem is HELL, but class is usually done by lunchtime. Afternoons you have OMM once a week for 1.5 hours, clinical conferences for 2 hours a couple of times a week, and primary care skills for 1.5 hours every other week or so.

First trimester tests are spaced out very fairly, though you ALWAYS fall behind in histo or anatomy while studying for the other class. Histo has a midterm and final. Anatomy has 2 tests and a final. Finals are hell, but what else is new.

Biochem (IBMS) is a monster with 2 tests and a final; however tests are not cumulative.

Hope this helps.

I should add that I believe we get a month off after the second year to study for boards. Also, the second year is very busy, but supposedly there is time to studt for boards some.

Schools like LECOM must be teaching very inefficiently, because I spend a whole lot less time in class, yet learn the same amount of material for the boards.

I would flunk straight out of med school if I were in class 8-5.

I do not go to any of the schools that were in the original post, but since someone posed the question about other school's schedule, I will give my input. I am a second year at NSU-COM.

First year, you have four hours of class in the morning (8-12), one hour for lunch, and then in the afternoons you have lab. You have clinical skills lab, OMM, Histology Lab, or Anatomy Lab. Depends on the day. For ex, on Tues you will be there until 3 b/c of OMM, and Wed you are done at five because you have Clinical Skills/Histo, then Thurs you are done at 4 because of Anat. Every other friday you spend an afternoon shadowing a practicing physician in a multitude of settings (office based, hospital based, clinic based). On the OTHER friday you have off. That goes for the first year. You can definately skip the classes... but not a good idea to skip the labs (some of them anyways). I skipped one full WEEK of class last year (1st year) and did just as well as anyone else who stayed and went to all the classes (and I am not the brightest bulb).

Second year is some more of the same. Four hours of lecture in the morning, occasional labs on Monday, Labs until 5 on Tues, Wednesday afternoon lectures, and Thurs you are out shadowing. Fridays are easy days as you only have four hours of lecture.

NSU-COM does NOT have weekend classes (except for the first couple of weeks as everyone gets BLS certified) and end of the 2nd year as everyone gets BLS recerts and ACLS. Also, this one is the kicker, we are done with our classes 2nd year 6 weeks BEFORE the boards. NSU-COM gives us a two week review course and then we have four weeks to study on our own (or do whatever we want). Passing rate is around 98%.

Tha'ts not why I picked NSU-COM (great facility, great location, students are happy and work together, great 3rd year rotations (Miami, Ft. Laud, Tampa, Daytona, Orlando))... but it doesn't hurt once I realize that's what I get. You wont' really ever get to "know" a school until you attend it for a year or so... so just go with your gut instincts for what school you think will fit you best.

Q

Holeee POOP, Snowbound! I have never thought of that stuff before. They had told me during the interview that the board passing rate was in the high 90's. One person even told me that they are within the top three for board passing rates.

I never really considered what you had told me until I thought it out. I ended up not choosing LECOM back when I got multiple acceptances. I thought the school, while having its points, was too new for me. It seems that they still didn't work the kinks out. They are doubling the class size, but keeping the anatomy size the same, and their options for clinical rotations aren't too broad. It really freaks me out that the school has such a lockdown on the students. Personally, when I study, I do my best work at my own pace, not by the pace of the class, and I don't think I can handle having my most productive hours caged in a lecture hall staring at a powerpoint presentation. Ouch. Any other students there feel that? For some reason, I'd like to hear more on this subject.

------------------
--
KidT
[email protected]

I go to TUCOM and I really like it. We have a wide range of rotation possibilities for 3rd and 4th year. The teachers are great,and only a fcouple of the classes are mandatory, which is great when you live so close to San Francisco. If you want to know more write me.

[email protected]