Tell me your secret: How you got into Med School with a low MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monkeygirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to mdapplicants.com, there are applicants who do get into med school with low MCATS. If you are one of these people now in school, could you tell me what did during the application year to make yourself to make it happen? Call the admissions office frequently? Write update letters? Visit the school? Have more letters of rec sent on your behalf? Meet with an admissions coordinator of the school applying to? etc? Any ideas?

I'm currently applying and I got a 24R. I know that I should retake the MCAT again but this was my second time and I really don't think I will improve. I dont' have test anxiety--- I just don't take that particular test very well. Everything else about my application is very good, high science GPA from a top university, 300 hours in clinics and hospitals for the indigent, strong LORs, did a postbacc, had a very unique career for a few years and want to practice exclusively with underserved patients in the Latino population.

Thank you for any tips!

Members don't see this ad.

The only person I've heard who got into med school here with a 24 was someone whose dad knew people on the admissions committee. What was your GPA and scienceGPA breakdown?

According to mdapplicants.com, there are applicants who do get into med school with low MCATS. If you are one of these people now in school, could you tell me what did during the application year to make yourself to make it happen? Call the admissions office frequently? Write update letters? Visit the school? Have more letters of rec sent on your behalf? Meet with an admissions coordinator of the school applying to? etc? Any ideas?

I'm currently applying and I got a 24R. I know that I should retake the MCAT again but this was my second time and I really don't think I will improve. I dont' have test anxiety--- I just don't take that particular test very well. Everything else about my application is very good, high science GPA from a top university, 300 hours in clinics and hospitals for the indigent, strong LORs, did a postbacc, had a very unique career for a few years and want to practice exclusively with underserved patients in the Latino population.

Thank you for any tips!

It sounds like the rest of your application is very well rounded with enough to stand out and offset a lower MCAT score.

First, be smart about where you are applying. Look at your in-state program(s) first, especially if they give any preference to in-state applicants . . . this is, of course, assuming your state program is not super competitive. Next, look for programs whose matriculants have similar profiles to your own. Basically, apply where you know you stand a chance. You'll have to do a lot of detective work to make the best choices, but it should be worth it. Also, don't forget to apply to some really strong programs that you might consider to be a "reach" based on your stats. :thumbup:

Then, make sure you know yourself inside and out. Know why you want to go into medicine and what has lead you to this point. Also, make sure you know the programs to which you are applying, why you want to be there, and why you would be an asset to the school.
Then rock your interviews!

Good luck. The MCAT is not the only thing that matters.

Members don't see this ad :)
24 is too low for allo schools. Apply to DO schools and then if all else fails Carib.

According to mdapplicants.com, there are applicants who do get into med school with low MCATS.

Check the MSAR for the stats regarding the schools you are interested in. mdapplicants.com is based on self-reporting.

Call the admissions office frequently? Write update letters? Visit the school? Have more letters of rec sent on your behalf? Meet with an admissions coordinator of the school applying to?

Usually once your application has been viewed and scored, the adcom puts the file away. Harrassing or writing the school will not help you. If it did, then everybody would do it.

I really don't think I will improve. I dont' have test anxiety--- I just don't take that particular test very well.

I'm not trying to be rude here, but most adcom's will say "If you don't take that particular test very well," then our statistics say that "You won't take OUR exams very well," and "You won't do very well on the USMLE" and make our school look bad. Honestly, the quality of your school will come into question if you got A's in your chemistry, biology, and physics yet your performance was repeatedly mediocre on the MCAT.

This is not necessarily my opinion--it's just that adcom's don't believe in "I'm just a poor standardized test taker." Medicine requires four or five standardized tests through residency.

300 hours in clinics and hospitals for the indigent, strong LORs, did a postbacc, had a very unique career for a few years and want to practice exclusively with underserved patients in the Latino population.

Are you Latino? Your numbers are probably good enough if you are.

Sorry if this reads a little bit blunt. I'm just trying to be honest.

thanks for your insights. I really appreciate it.

My science GPA is 3.71. My MCAT was 8,8,8,R. I took it also in April and got 7V, 7P, 9B, S. I was sick the first time, so I thought that's why I did so poorly, but the truth is now that I just can't take that test. I just hard when one day's test counts for as much or more than years of hard work in class and volunteering.

I know a few people on ad committees. I'm not sure if I should try and talk with them. I want to get in on my own merit, even though I want it so badly.

Anyone else have any suggestions? thanks everyone

Given that the rest of your application is strong, I think you should confront the weakest part of your application head-on. Rather than just saying "I don't take that test well" and turning a blind eye, I think it's worth making an honest assessment of what is preventing you from doing better on the MCAT. Did you spend enough time preparing for it? Did you study efficiently? Do you need to work on standardized test taking skills? I would focus your efforts on analyzing the problem, perhaps with someone who has done well on the MCAT and figure out where the difference lies in how you approach the MCAT questions versus that person's approach.

After all, you have put in so much effort already, it seems like a cop-out to just say you are not a good MCAT test taker. Did you try a commercial prep course like Kaplan? I'm not saying they necessarily are good, but at least it is something to consider -- they provide a structure to your studying. Whatever you do, you must change your approach to studying for this test before you re-take it.

Wizard of Oz,

I'm not Latino, and I'm not an URM. But I do speak Spanish well and I have a lot of clinical experience using my Spanish as a translator in a very busy ER. I know that it sounds like such a bad excuse to say that I don't take that particular test well-- but it is true. On my AAMC practice tests, I averaged 30, but on test day I don't know-- I just messed up I guess. On the SATs, I did well and ended up teaching for a test prep company.

Do you think that the MCAT is similar to the USMLE? In practice, do students usually perform similarly?

thanks again for your suggestions and your candor.

Boston,

I took a prep company for my first round. Got sick the day of the test and scored 23S. Over the summer, I studied on my own-- 8 hours a day for seven weeks. I really gave it my all. I'm open to retaking the test, however, I'm afraid that with two consistenly low scores, nothing I do on the third test will really matter. what do you think?

thanks

I have a 24 M

9V
8B
7P

I am an M1. I am not one to promote my blog, but I have a link to it below (how i got here). I have been writing it for other people I know who are applying to my state school. I have listed everything that I have done during the application process including everything about my AMCAS, MCAT, and interview. Just go back to the first month or two of posts. Please feel free to PM me if you want me to answer any specific questions.

Boston,

I took a prep company for my first round. Got sick the day of the test and scored 23S. Over the summer, I studied on my own-- 8 hours a day for seven weeks. I really gave it my all. I'm open to retaking the test, however, I'm afraid that with two consistenly low scores, nothing I do on the third test will really matter. what do you think?

thanks

People don't frequently get into allo with those scores, and no point spending thousand on applications hoping to be an exception. (Or unless you live in certain states as the prior poster apparently does). You really need to retake, or find an alternative path to physician. I don't mean to be mean -- but better you hear it here for free than hear it from adcoms at $100 per secondary.

Sadly, Law2Doc is right.

I actually have a very similar profile to you. The MCAT was a beast for me. I took the test 3 times, with my second score being a 24. I applied to schools with that score, was granted several allopathic interviews, was waitlisted, and ultimately not accepted. Although I felt the same way that you do... that I simply could not possibly improve, I made myself take the exam again after two years away. In the meantime, I worked full time, and got my masters. I changed my study strategies and told myself that this exam is not going to determine whether I get in or not. I went up 4 points on my third try which was enough to get me quite a few interviews, and acceptances (one school accepted me this time around, and rejected me pre-interview the first time I applied).

I am now an M1 at my top choice (a school that waitlisted me two years ago).

24 is low, even with your high GPA. Don't be afraid to retake it. You CAN improve.

Good luck.

I have a 24 M

9V
8B
7P

I am an M1. I am not one to promote my blog, but I have a link to it below (how i got here). I have been writing it for other people I know who are applying to my state school. I have listed everything that I have done during the application process including everything about my AMCAS, MCAT, and interview. Just go back to the first month or two of posts. Please feel free to PM me if you want me to answer any specific questions.

did you only apply to one school and get in? amazing! congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think that the MCAT is similar to the USMLE? In practice, do students usually perform similarly?

Hehe-depends who you ask. Adcom's probably think so more than students. I personally have more colleagues who've done well on both the MCAT and the USMLE than those who did poorly on the USMLE and well on the MCAT and vice versa. That said, the correlation is not as strong as one might think. Med school is mostly rote memory (no application questions like the physical science MCAT tests you).

On the other hand, there probably is good research to say that if you blew on your MCAT that you took 5 years to graduate med school or failed your USMLE step 1 the first time you took it. You can't retake step 1 if you passed it. Medical schools want to avoid admitting people who have a low potential of passing boards--it costs them money and makes them look bad.

Organic chemistry is used to simulate medical school--90% of that garbage is completely useless to you later on. However, if you could not recall facts from rote memory on the day that you took your MCAT (a 7 or 8 would indicate that you missed a bunch of questions and were only capable of less than 70% recall), then such disability to memorize would correlate to an F in medical school. Adcom's would say that if you can't get 70% of the questions right on your MCAT then you aren't capable of passing medical school.

I wouldn't have applied this year if I didn't think that I couldn't significantly improve on my first score. I am shocked I did so bad. BUT, I have already submitted 22 secondaries and paid all the fees. At this point, I'm not going to lose anything by allowing my applications to continue the process. I am considering retaking the test-- however, I don't think that if I did improve my score it would be very impressive. Two bad MCATS in a row look very bad. Also, I studied extremely hard for this test in August and really gave it my all. What else can I do?

Wizard of Oz, I do appreciate your comments but you are dead wrong that a 7 or 8 indicates that you can't recall 70% of material. How would I ace upper division Biology courses at a very competitive university if I couldn't memorize material?

thanks everyone for your comments so far.

I wouldn't have applied this year if I didn't think that I couldn't significantly improve on my first score. I am shocked I did so bad. BUT, I have already submitted 22 secondaries and paid all the fees. At this point, I'm not going to lose anything by allowing my applications to continue the process. I am considering retaking the test-- however, I don't think that if I did improve my score it would be very impressive. Two bad MCATS in a row look very bad. Also, I studied extremely hard for this test in August and really gave it my all. What else can I do?

Wizard of Oz, I do appreciate your comments but you are dead wrong that a 7 or 8 indicates that you can't recall 70% of material. How would I ace upper division Biology courses at a very competitive university if I couldn't memorize material?

I had two bad MCAT's in a row and a third ok one (28) and it worked for me. Dont be self-defeatest. I thought I studied super hard for my 24 on my second exam... I didnt think I could study any harder.. but I was wrong. You need to change your strategies and you will improve.

Gotta clear something up--I'm just speaking from the perspectives of adcom members that I know who tell me that they get 2000 applications every year for 150 spots. Don't shoot the messenger.

I'm not saying that you are definitely not going to get in anywhere (see Sondra's blog!). Hey if I was on your adcom, I'd probably let you in and ask you to kick it with me at the student union after the interview. We could eat corn dogs and ice cream and talk about how malpractice insurance is ruining medicine.

The basis for my previous statement is this--say you got a 7 or 8 on PS or BS. The test is like 75 questions or something (I no longer recall). If memory serves, this usually equates to missing about 30 questions give or take a handful. Those of you who have review books can correct me if I am off. If you miss 30 out of 75, you only got 60% of the questions correct. This is failing in schools that require a 70% to pass. Med school curricula and the USMLE are like the MCAT in that you have to recall information from many different sources to excel. The lectures in med school are really just supplemental.

So let me go back to being an evil adcom member again--a person who you will have to answer to at your interviews. I have a stack of 2000 applications, and 1500 of them will claim to have come from very competative universities. 1000 of these aced upper-division biology. Now I can only take 15-20% of these 1000 very well-qualified students who aced upper-division biology at very competative universities. The ONLY way that I have to compare these students to one another is to use some nationally standardized assessment tool which has proven for decades to be a discriminator of how well they retained and understood the classes that were required as prerequisites for medical school. I am not saying that your school was bad--I'm just saying that the statistical indicators of success which adcom's use correlates with a lower likelihood of success IN THEIR EYES (not mine). The other posters here are saying the same thing, they're just not as harsh as me.

Unfortunately previous clinical experience has no correlation with success on USMLE step 1.

BTW I don't recommend MCAT prep courses at all.

Be sure to talk about your interest in the underserved (with particular emphasis on experience related to this)--schools like that stuff. I would also not dismiss the D.O. route because osteopathic doctors are more likely to later become involved in primary care which seems like it might be more geared to your interests.

Agreed 100%. I work for Kaplan and I sometimes see people with high GPAs sometimes struggle with the MCAT because they are used to memorizing and don't realize (or believe me when I tell them) that this is a reading test where most of the answers are in the passage. You need very basic science recall to take the test, but you also need to read quickly and think quickly to score well.

I think the moral of the story is that good test takers remain good test takers. Medical schools know this fact and I think that's why it's hard for them to take too many 'chances' on otherwise great applicants with a lower MCAT score when the applicant pool as a whole is over-subscribed and very impressive. That said, I personally have friends who scored in the mid-30's on the MCAT yet scored very poorly on Step 1 and I have friends who scored in the low 20's on the MCAT but ended up with stellar Step 1 scores. Neither case is the norm, but know assuredly that such people exist. One honest friend who took the MCAT twice and eventually gained M.D. admission after three application cycles and multiple waitlists said is like this: "Step 1 is a test that rewards you for being an amazing memorizer, but the MCAT punishes you if that's all you do on the day; the two tests are totally different". He went on to score in the 96th percentile on step 1. Also, looks at the mean MCAT for D.O. schools and the USMLE first-time pass rate (77%) - not that different from allopathic schools (93%); higher than for FMG's (65%), and definitely not 100% failure.

As it stands today, the odds are against you for gaining allopathic admission this cycle, but you just never know what might happen. Take the MCAT again...and again if you have to. Perseverence and determination can offset many things if you want this badly enough....just make sure it doesn't consume your life in the meantime. My best to you.

Agreed 100%. I work for Kaplan and I sometimes see people with high GPAs sometimes struggle with the MCAT because they are used to memorizing and don't realize (or believe me when I tell them) that this is a reading test where most of the answers are in the passage. You need very basic science recall to take the test, but you also need to read quickly and think quickly to score well.

Not agreeing or disagreeing, but if you can find your answers in the passage, then a person would excel simply by doing practice tests over and over eventually learning how to find the answers (this DOES work for verbal). Then Kaplan would be out of business. Again, I refuse to endorse prep courses or any other process that favors the applicant with more money in part out of principle and in part because I don't think that they can teach you anything that you shouldn't have learned in college.

I'll again take the position of the picky adcom person realizing that what Scottish Chap says is sound reasoning. Now I might say that if you can't read and interpret from a passage in a high pressure or time-sensitive situation, then your ability as a physician might be compromised.

I think the moral of the story is that good test takers remain good test takers. Medical schools know this fact and I think that's why it's hard for them to take too many 'chances' on otherwise great applicants with a lower MCAT score when the applicant pool as a whole is over-subscribed and very impressive.

I personally have firends who scored in the mid-30's on the MCAT yet scored very poorly on Step 1 and I have friends who scored in the low 20's on the MCAT but ended up with stellar Step 1 scores. Neither case is the norm...

Thanks for agreeing with my posts--good that I can get some affirmation here since it seems I am out on a limb. From the view of the medical community, doctors simply MUST be good test takers. Adcom's can't take afford to take chances.

Hey sorry if my comments are annoying you. At least I'm keeping your thread near the top.

Thank you for any tips!

It will be very tough, very tough to get in with that MCAT, unless you wanna go to carribiean. You may have a chance for DO programs, but even those, not a very great one.

Your best bet is to improve your MCAT, 24 is very low. Even if you can improve by 2 points that's a big deal, it will improve your chance a lot more for DO schools particularly.

I mean higher a tutor do whatever is needed bring that MCAT up. Otherwise, your choices are dismal in states, more of a reality is Carribiean or some of the European schools like Poland or South American like Belize.

I was sick the first time, so I thought that's why I did so poorly, but the truth is now that I just can't take that test.

If you sit back and believe that you "just can't take that test," you are never going to improve. I thought that after my first time taking the MCAT. I changed my thinking and my studying, and then raised my score by 9 pts. There is a way to do it - you just need to figure out what that is for you. I don't see a 24 working out too well for you.

PS - Keep in mind that Mississippi is by no means representative of the other state schools or any other school for that matter.

I have a 24 M

9V
8B
7P

I hate to say this but I think MI is an exception rather than the rule when it comes to accepting students. Most state schools will not accept a 24 including my own (except for the aforementioned student who got in through nepotism). I think most people on the forum don't want to tell the OP to cross his/her fingers and hope his/her app is the exception to the rules, which is that anything far from 30 will be rejected.

I agree that Mississippi does deviate from the norm. I had to apply before the August MCAT scores were available (app deadline was 10/15 and scores came out 10/19). To be honest, I probably wouldn't have applied if I knew my scores first.

To answer a previous question, I did only apply to my state school.

Thanks for agreeing with my posts--good that I can get some affirmation here since it seems I am out on a limb.
I was not agreeing with your posts (to be honest, I didn't read them really), but responding to someone else who asked for honest advice and some encouragement. I think you were just selective in what you wanted to read based on your beliefs. While I fully acknowledge the MCAT is very important as a selection tool, it has no bearing whatsoever on who you are as a person or what you are capable of once you get into medical school, IMHO. I'm living proof of that.

i got this straight from an adcom member (he was giving a group of us a mock interview back in the day and told us exactly what adcoms go for in terms of scores). He told me that US News Rankings (and yes they do matter to med schools because though they may not be an accurate assessment of a school, in reality its what many many students look at when they apply to schools), also factor in biology mcat scores into their rankings. Thus, if the average was a 10, and you had an 8, they would need to draft a 12 to keep that average at 10. Thus you would need to demonstrate to them, what exactly is it about you that will make me take you despite lowering our average on the US News rankings? Im not sure if this is true personally, but its straight out of the horses mouth

i got this straight from an adcom member (he was giving a group of us a mock interview back in the day and told us exactly what adcoms go for in terms of scores). He told me that US News Rankings (and yes they do matter to med schools because though they may not be an accurate assessment of a school, in reality its what many many students look at when they apply to schools), also factor in biology mcat scores into their rankings. Thus, if the average was a 10, and you had an 8, they would need to draft a 12 to keep that average at 10. Thus you would need to demonstrate to them, what exactly is it about you that will make me take you despite lowering our average on the US News rankings? Im not sure if this is true personally, but its straight out of the horses mouth

Harsh! :p

I don't know if all med schools will say that outright but I'm sure that is also in the back of adcoms' minds when they are deciding which students to accept.

Thus, if the average was a 10, and you had an 8, they would need to draft a 12 to keep that average at 10. Thus you would need to demonstrate to them, what exactly is it about you that will make me take you despite lowering our average on the US News rankings?

Sad but true--I've heard it too, only I seem to be drawing criticism for echoing the adcoms.

While I fully acknowledge the MCAT is very important as a selection tool, it has no bearing whatsoever on who you are as a person or what you are capable off once you get into medical school, IMHO. I'm living proof of that.

I agree big time, that's why I suggested above that the OP would be welcome if I were an adcom member and that we could have ice cream and corn dogs at the student union. She seems like a nice person who I'd like to eat corn dogs and ice cream with, and she is welcome to babysit my future children should I choose to have them.

If you are inferring that you didn't do well on the MCAT and are doing swell in med school, then why did Kaplan hire you as an MCAT instructor?

it's luck.

shhhhh. don't tell anyone.

I'm currently applying and I got a 24R.

I just don't take that particular test very well.

Just being honest. I appoligize in advance if your ego takes a hit but...

If I was an admin, I would not accept you. You might be a good person.. but there are plenty of good people out there with good test scores. Your inability to perform well on the MCAT will probably transfer over to an inability to perform well on the USMLE. By not performing well on the USMLE, you have the possibility to change my school's statistic from a 100% pass rate to a 99% pass rate. In addition, residencies want high test scores too because lets face it, you don't want your residency program to have a low pass rate for board certification in your field.

I scored a 24Q on the MCAT and got in on my first try(currently MSII). I had a high gpa, double science major, etc. The thing that set me apart from the rest of the app pool was that I had publications from my undergrad research experiences (in medical journals). I won national honors for my research, was named to the USA-TODAY All USA College Academic Second Team (ie, spots 20-40 in nation), and even voted the most outstanding graduate by the faculty of my alma mater. It seemed I was headed to a PhD, but knowing that the MD was my deam, I played the application game.

It is possible, but I think you really need something that separates you from the rest. What do you excel at that most people don't?

I also want to add that it doesn't hurt trying. Sure, it cost money but if you eventually get in, then you will be so far in the hole it isn't funny.

Also, never listen to those who say that low MCAT = low medical school success. The correlation is slight (0.5-0.6 at best), but nothing you would want to bet money on. I score above the averages on my med school exams, good enough for high passes. I am pretty sure the USMLE should not be an issue because med schools teach you most of what you need to know on the USMLE. This isnt true about the MCAT, where what you learn and other variables vary greatly. The MCAT is a reasoning test, the USMLE actually tests what you were taught.

24 is I think too low for a reasonable shot at an Allo school......unless if you have really high gpa and are an URM (its the truth, urms do get in with lower numbers and I am thankful bc it makes our classes more diverse....a lot of you wont understand this till you enter med school). I am at an SMP so I see this a lot.

But what about those with more reasonable but lower mcats. Like all the 27, 28, 29 mcaters out there?

i say go for it and see how far u can go. i mean u said that u did already apply and it doesnt matter how far u go or not. As an above poster had mentioned that MCAT by no means limited him or her from getting into medical school. Im sure all schools have a cut at some point, and if you made the cut for MCAT, this means ur application will at least be reviewed. THis is where how well you prepare your application, how strong your LORs, how strong your grades, ECs can carry u through the rest of the application process. Having a low MCAT score is akin to having an arm and a leg broken and having to climb a set of stairs. You have the remainder of your applicaiton to cover your ass and to pull you through. Depending on how strong it is, it might be able to cover your application's big deficiency of having a poor MCAT. Good luck with everything

Honestly? Sure, I'd apply this year, but I'd change up my study routine and take it one more time. Didn't use a prep course the first time? Sign up this time. Used study groups before? Try more individual study time. I agree that your app would look much better if you could bump it up to a 27...just a one-point increase in each area!

I scored a 24Q on the MCAT and got in on my first try(currently MSII). I had a high gpa, double science major, etc. The thing that set me apart from the rest of the app pool was that I had publications from my undergrad research experiences (in medical journals). I won national honors for my research, was named to the USA-TODAY All USA College Academic Second Team (ie, spots 20-40 in nation), and even voted the most outstanding graduate by the faculty of my alma mater. It seemed I was headed to a PhD, but knowing that the MD was my deam, I played the application game.

It is possible, but I think you really need something that separates you from the rest. What do you excel at that most people don't?

I also want to add that it doesn't hurt trying. Sure, it cost money but if you eventually get in, then you will be so far in the hole it isn't funny.

Also, never listen to those who say that low MCAT = low medical school success. The correlation is slight (0.5-0.6 at best), but nothing you would want to bet money on. I score above the averages on my med school exams, good enough for high passes. I am pretty sure the USMLE should not be an issue because med schools teach you most of what you need to know on the USMLE. This isnt true about the MCAT, where what you learn and other variables vary greatly. The MCAT is a reasoning test, the USMLE actually tests what you were taught.

Good for you! :thumbup:

Boston,

thanks

To echo what other posters have said, since you've already submitted secondaries and paid the fees, definitely continue with the process and see what happens.

If you don't get in this round, definitely retake the MCAT. Other parts of your application are already strong and improving this one area would help you immensely. I don't believe the statement that "nothing you do on the third test will really matter." Rocking the MCAT on your 3rd try would definitely offset 2 low scores in that it would demonstrate to adcoms what you are capable of, and directly address the only weakness in your application.

However, before you take it a third time, you MUST change your approach. You must be scoring significantly better on your practice exams compared to before. I know you said you scored 30 on the practice and only got 24 on the real exam. However, if that's the case, 1) you will need to score 35 or mid-30s on the practice exams to have a comfortable margin. 2) figure out why you are doing poorly on the real thing. is it performance anxiety? if so, address this problem -- counselor, prescription for beta-blocker, etc. Do whatever it takes. I think it's hard for anonymous strangers on an internet forum to really diagnose where the problem lies. You may have to do some soul searching. I would advise seeking the help of those who know you well in helping you figure out where the problem lies in your test-taking. Maybe sit down with a friend who did well on the MCAT and compare how you approach questions and why you are getting them wrong when presented with the same information. Perhaps you are overthinking the question, distracted by wrong answers, running out of time, etc. There are probably no easy, straightforward, quick-fix answers. (otherwise, you'd probably have figured it out already.) Not to sound sappy or cliche, but in the long run, overcoming this adversity will make you stronger and better for it. Don't get discouraged most of all. And who knows, maybe you will get in this round anyways. Just have a contingency plan for how you will approach the MCAT differently in case you don't get in this round. Hope this helps...

Don't listen to anyone else about the 24. Somehow even having to live with the shame of getting a 25, I'm still high passing all my classes and getting 98's on lab practicals. I know a number of people (a 24 among that group) that are excelling at my allo school. Just make sure that the rest of your app is extremely solid and that you're not a tool when you interview. Make yourself stand out.

It can be done, so hang in there and make sure and highlight your strengths that can equal out your low MCAT score. Also, look at how some schools view multiple MCATS, as some schools will take the highest in each section over the tests you have taken giving you a higher score that they consider for admissions. Be extremely smart in where you apply and don't let people deter you from doing so!

effort is directly proportional to your score. Unless you have a learning disability, you can do better.

Like someone said earlier, change your study style, put in more hours, and just don't give up until you've reached your goal score. If you can hit a 30 and above for more than 3 times, then you'll be ready.

If you really want to be a doctor, it will be worth it.

On the otherhand, your app cycle this year may not be as bad as you think. Do you have a large state school or a state DO school? You'll have a better chance at those. And if you don't get in, at least you've already gotten your essays out of the way for the next cycle.

:luck:

I don't mean azzz but you people kill me. I mean it doesnt take a genius to see that retaking your MCAT, completing a post-bacc soley to get into med schools - not fulfilling your premed requirements, is a just a waste of money and time. What you should do is brush up on your spanish and apply to a puerto rican medical school. They are LCME accredited, have less stringent admissions requirements, and, hey, instead of sitting on your azzz and waiting around, hoping your gonna make it happen this year (which odds are, if you didnt the first time you wont) you could be enrolled in shcool and on your way to your degree. Take my situation for example. I applied right out of college (PR was my backup), got accepted here and took off. Forget retaking the MCAT!!! The MCAT DOES NOT PREDICT MEDICAL SCHOOL PERFORMANCE!! I havent scored below an 85 on all my shelf exams which are admin'd by the NBME who also gives the USMLE.
Now, two years into it, while some of my friends are still waiting or doing post bacs, I'm chillin; at the top of my class, speak perfect spanish, and will be half a doctor come May.

Think about it, I take a test and, HELLO!! I'm on a tropical island all year round. When I'm not studying I can be found in the casino, grinding some boriqua honey:cool: (ahhh yeah:thumbup: ), at the cock fights, or gettin a tan out in Isla Verde.

Futhermore, for all of you who are concerned about residency placements form PR schools, let me tell you I did some rotations this summer at various medical centers in the greater los angeles area and all the attendings/residents stressed how valuable me knowing medical spanish was to any program in any major city.

Graduating from a PR school doesnt hurt you, contrary to popular belief on this site. In fact its a good selling point. So just apply, and if you get in go for it. The worst that could happen is that you end up on a tropical island, learn a new culture and new language. Better than sitting on your ass sticking needles up some rats "culo" in a research lab hoping to improve your app.......

:cool:
PS - This thread will receive more flame than Boy George... I'm just keeping it real also dont give me crap about my grammer errors - its 3am my time and I'm takin a break studying for my exam.

He PR guy... I don't dispute your assertions about PR schools, but I do dispute how easy you think it'll be for a random person to pick up good enough spanish to go to med school classes taught in spanish. Most of the spanish majors at my undergrad couldn't do that, and they didn't waste time taking those easy-peasy 5000-level chem and bio courses. I don't see a hard science major getting enough spanish to make a difference without spending waaaaaaaayyyy more time than it would take to up their MCAT by 1 in each subject.

Honestly, I'm with Blade on this. Switch up your study methods, work hard and improve your score by 1 in each area. A 27 looks much better than a 24.

When you apply, you want to be at your best, not just because the process has started. The online application asks if you have previously applied and schools keep a record of your past applications. Some schools don't want you reapplying if they already rejected you once. Keep that in mind.

I think the moral of the story is that good test takers remain good test takers. Medical schools know this fact and I think that's why it's hard for them to take too many 'chances' on otherwise great applicants with a lower MCAT score when the applicant pool as a whole is over-subscribed and very impressive.
Furthermore, there are enough of these good test-takers that the med schools can have their cake and eat it too. At this point, there are a LOT of people with high numbers and good ECs with good interview skills that the schools can take who they want for the most part. Five thousand applicants. 700 interviews. That's pretty typical for a lot of schools - this means that they can ignore the vast majority of applicants.

He PR guy... I don't dispute your assertions about PR schools, but I do dispute how easy you think it'll be for a random person to pick up good enough spanish to go to med school classes taught in spanish. Most of the spanish majors at my undergrad couldn't do that, and they didn't waste time taking those easy-peasy 5000-level chem and bio courses. I don't see a hard science major getting enough spanish to make a difference without spending waaaaaaaayyyy more time than it would take to up their MCAT by 1 in each subject.

Honestly, I'm with Blade on this. Switch up your study methods, work hard and improve your score by 1 in each area. A 27 looks much better than a 24.

dude i can see where you are coming from and how one might see it as a daunting task to pick up spanish..... but speaking from personal experience we have at least 5 guys in our class whose spanish wouldnt hold up at taco bell. anybody who comes down has their first two years (all books/lecture notes/tests in english) to beef up their spanish before going to clinics 3rd year. its actually kinda cool b/c your native puerto rican classmates also want to help you with your spanish and in return you can help them with their english for residency. anyways my bad if i came off as a dick, but i just wanted to shed some light on the subject:thumbup: . i'm just suprised more people dont apply over here considering how hard it is to get into med school nowadays. just wanted to let people know that its definitely doable even with moderate fluency.......

dude i can see where you are coming from and how one might see it as a daunting task to pick up spanish..... but speaking from personal experience we have at least 5 guys in our class whose spanish wouldnt hold up at taco bell. anybody who comes down has their first two years (all books/lecture notes/tests in english) to beef up their spanish before going to clinics 3rd year. its actually kinda cool b/c your native puerto rican classmates also want to help you with your spanish and in return you can help them with their english for residency. anyways my bad if i came off as a dick, but i just wanted to shed some light on the subject:thumbup: . i'm just suprised more people dont apply over here considering how hard it is to get into med school nowadays. just wanted to let people know that its definitely doable even with moderate fluency.......

I think if you have really strong work experience, volunteer work, research, super grades....but your MCAT kinda sux....you can still get an MD in the US. I fall into this catagory, infact. And I know others...I even knew a girl in a prestigious school with a 21.....too make a long story short, keep your options open. Do everything to get in and apply early. But think in the back of your mind of other professions that you can go into for a year or you may even have to retake the exam....but give it a shot...maybe after a year or so you will mature into a somewhat better test taker.....as an MSIV now, I am learning each year to take exams better....I think there is a bit of mellowing out one needs esp. when you are an undergrad. med school hopeful....

PR, that sounds pretty cool. Nice of them to give you two years of total immersion before you hit the wards, and I grant you that 2 yrs total immersion will yield great spanish. If I was single, that would be something I'd even count as fun. Married, I have to keep my wife happy :) and that means not going where she doesn't habla. At least she let me drag her there on vacation :) Some of the most beautiful places on earth are in PR, no kidding.

Learning Spanish isn't really daunting for me, I was one of the more conscientious Spanish majors at my undergrad :)

I got in with a 24. I don't see what the big deal is. I managed to get through medical school, I did great on the USMLE, and I matched at my first choice.

The people on this board only make up a small number of the med student population. There may not be many people with 24's on here, but that doesn't mean there aren't any overall. Should you take the MCAT again? Yes, but everything else on your application sounds great. I'd go ahead and apply this year if you can afford it. The worst thing that can happen is that you won't get in.

I'm involved with admissions at my school, get to read the files, see the MCATs, do interviews, vote on acceptance. I can say that a 24 will not disqualify you. It certainly doesn't help, but if everything else is good and you have a great interview you can get in. Def apply to your state school, if you don't have one- you're in a tough spot. You could do a post-bac program, that usually helps alot. The MCAT is not everything and docs know that. Stick with it.

I spoke with an adcom from FSU yestarday, and they are pretty much looking for people that want to work with underserved patients, just like you do. He told me that last year someone got accepted with a 23. The thing that made her so special was her dedication to serving the underserved. I am not sure where you are from, or if FSU accepts people that are not Florida residents, but if you are applying this year, you might want to look into it. They also have a bridge program, where you take some medical school classes and other science classes, and if you do well, you are automatically accepted into the med school the following year. He said that they are accepting people with 18/19+ in the bridge program.
Good luck to you!