tell med schools about ADD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PostalWookie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have ADD. A lot of the secondaries ask if I have any condition that may interfere with my ability to be a doctor or crap like that. So I was wondering if I need to put that down.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you take meds for your ADD? If not, why was it diagnosed? Does it interfere with your daily life? Because your numbers are so stellar, I personally do not think that mentioning ADD will send up any red flags. If anything, it will demonstrate your real "focus". However, I am not sure if you really need to put this on your app if you sincerely do not believe it will interfere with your ability as a doc. Ideas?

PostalWookie said:
I have ADD. A lot of the secondaries ask if I have any condition that may interfere with my ability to be a doctor or crap like that. So I was wondering if I need to put that down.

Here's the thing though - I don't think that it has any effect on my ability to be a doctor. It hasn't stopped me from pulling a 3.98 BCPM and a 41 MCAT. And I don't want med schools ignoring what i've accomplished just because of the ADD.

So do I put it down, or leave it alone?

Cmon. It hasnt held you back so far. In fact, as long as you can hold a semi-normal conversation, then you'll get to pick which top ten school you want to go to. Besides, it's not like there arent a dozen drugs out there to help regulate ADD.

In other words... leave it alone :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
dood, there is lots of posts on this topic if you search for them. :thumbup:

PostalWookie said:

Here's the thing though - I don't think that it has any effect on my ability to be a doctor. It hasn't stopped me from pulling a 3.98 BCPM and a 41 MCAT. And I don't want med schools ignoring what i've accomplished just because of the ADD.

So do I put it down, or leave it alone?

Why would you put that down??? You have a very strong case evidenced via your performance that ADD will not interfere, so why even bring it up. Just keep your mouth shut about it. Best of luck.

i would only put it down if u need extra time on tests for ADD.

If u can take some meds and stay focused and take tests during the time allowed for everyone, then no need to say anything.

i bet you he goes nuts on aderol. all my friends who take aderol do better on tests. its pretty much cheating.

lets hope the OP doesnt pass out while doing a surgery or OD on aderol. :rolleyes:

tupac_don said:
Why would you put that down??? You have a very strong case evidenced via your performance that ADD will not interfere, so why even bring it up. Just keep your mouth shut about it. Best of luck.

Call the cops when you see Tupac. ROAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

talk about it as an obstacle you've had to overcome, yadda yadda

Don't ask don't tell......wait they do ask........still don't tell. :D