tell the truth- how intense?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ooohtouchmether

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
:clap: :clap:

hello everyone. I am new to the board and am enrolling in a post bac program at NYU. What I wanna know from someone is-- gimme the lowdown-- how intense are those 1st 2 year and anyone in residency -- is it as bad as they make it seem-- like 3hours sleep?

give it to me str8 cuz I hear mixed reviews

Members don't see this ad.

This depends where you do your residency and what type of residency you match in. In some programs, you'll work close to 100 hours per week. In others, a 60 hour work week is average.

In my first year as a general medicine intern, I was on call every fourth night during my inpatient medicine rotation. This means being on call in the hospital on Days 1 and 2 for 36 hours. Then I work ~12 hour work days on Days 3 and 4, and then repeat the call process again on Day 5. When I was on call, I averaged about 1-3 hours of DISCONTINOUS sleep. Nurses paged me every 15-30 minutes with questions.

As an ophthalmology resident, my call is about every 5th day. I work ~10 hour days when not on call. Call nights are variable. Some nights I don't get called, but others I'll be up all night because of traumas and emergencies.

As for my colleagues in surgery and OB-GYN, they keep up the busy schedule for most of their training.