SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Tell us about the DO that steered you toward osteopathy

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by roc, May 28, 2008.

1. roc

roc 2+ Year Member

May 25, 2008
    for me it was from watching my best friend's brother (family practice doc) doing his thing. Didnt understand the whole DO vs. MD thing since he was in practice with MDs. :)
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna 7+ Year Member

Dec 22, 2007
    i used to volunteer at USC/LA county hospital. during one of my shifts i was tagging a long w/ the internal medicine of which went to Western. i had never heard of it nor had i heard of osteoapathic medicine. after that it was pretty much my interest in learning more about the profession......checked out western's website first then started readin as much as i could about the philosophy and OMM and all that...

it'd be cool to talk to him again b/c he for sure doesn't know the impact that 5 min conversation had on my life. i dont even know his name.
  4. Tachymeter

Tachymeter Member 7+ Year Member

Sep 22, 2007
    I was introduced to it by a Navy medic that was in my anatomy class in college. I never knew about it until I started talking to him about medicine and it just came up.
  5. WDeagle

WDeagle 5+ Year Member

Feb 1, 2008
    2 DO's influenced me. One is lady my mom grew up with. She is an amazing retinal surgeon who did her fellowship at a top three hospital. The other is a decorated former military doc(green beret) who is also an opthalmologist. Seriously the two most badass docs ive ever met.
  6. JaggerPlate

JaggerPlate 10+ Year Member

May 28, 2007
    Two for me also:

1. My PCP, who I've seen my entire life, is the absolute best doctor I have ever seen. He's a FP, and he's just one of those doctors who seems to know absolutely everything. My family has seen him for everything from my grandfather's issues with cancer to family pregnancy to routine physicals and his work is always top notch. He's just the kind of doctor everyone should strive to become.

2. I volunteered at a big name university hospital for 2 years and always thought the head of Emergency Medicine was fantastic. A true leader and a dedicated physician. One day I passed by his office and noticed that he graduated from CCOM. Started really looking into DO schools after I read his degree.
  7. primadonna22274

primadonna22274 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

There have been a few, good and bad. Obviously I don't strive to be like the bad ones.....

One guy who sticks out on the positive side is a pediatrician I worked with for 4 years in a multispecialty group practice. I'm a PA in family practice. No matter how busy he was, or how tired, he was always approachable if I needed him to look at a kid or an xray or give me advice. Never saw the guy in a (really) bad mood. Always had a smile, and more importantly, the right answer. Kids were comfortable with him and parents trusted him, as did most of his colleagues. All-around good guy. When I started to seriously consider med school he never tried to talk me out of it, but of course did try to talk me into his alma mater (DMU). Also he is a total goofball with a John Deere fetish--tractors and whatever--he somehow even procured (or was gifted) a John Deere coffeepot.

Good guy.
  8. primadonna22274

primadonna22274 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Forgot to mention, my John Deere DO mentor ALWAYS had a student. I was back home unexpectedly after my niece died last December and dropped in on the clinic to visit old friends. Sure enough, Bill had a student. Usually a PA student, but he would take medical students and the occasional rounding resident or shadow as well. Maybe the rare NP student although his wife was a PA also so he was probably a little biased (although both he and his wife were nurses before he went to med school and she to PA school).
    I think it takes a lot to be so committed to education in community practice. It's one thing if you're in an academic setting where you're set up for students, but quite another outside of the academic world. Just another thing about Bill that's cool.
  9. fabu1ous

fabu1ous Wow, it is so clear... 2+ Year Member

Jan 27, 2007
    Looking into the sky :)
    I shadowed the most awesome psychiatric DO on the planet. He was a great little fiery man who made pretty much everyone laugh and had just the best report with his patients. He was the attending for residents at an allopathic affiliated hospital-- I don't know if they knew what they were in for...
  10. roc

roc 2+ Year Member

May 25, 2008
    I just met attending gas-man at children's hospital of philadelphia (#1 in pediatrics), where the best of the best go. he certainly had to prove himself.

I think all these people paved the road for us that it will be little easier to sprint across. We cant thank them enough.
  11. MossPoh

MossPoh Textures intrigue me 7+ Year Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Tally/Willkillya County
    No particular doc for me. My dad did used to actively avoid DOs till about 18 years ago or so. He went to medical school in the 60s and was raised with the stigma, partly for a legit reason at the time. I know you don't like to hear it, but at the time DO schools sucked. They were overcrowded, bad facilities, not enough cadavers, etc. The thoughts with my dad continued because he kept meeting DOs that were idiots, which never helps. When we moved, things changed a bit. He had some DO partners and learned that, just like MDs, there were good and bad. His perception changed and we moved on. Our pcp where I grew up was a DO. Nearly every doctor I shadowed was a DO. It wasn't because I actively sought out a DO; they just happened to be the best docs in their speciality at the hospital. I really never noticed a difference. The biggest difference I noted was that osteopathic physicians were very proud of their schools and would harass each other for going to different ones. (One went to DMU, another KCOM, another CCOM, another NSU, and another PCOM...then a Pikesville girl rotated)