Telling # 1 program that you ranked them # 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rx1312

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think it'd be appropriate to tell your number 1 choice you ranked them number 1? The PD of that program told me at the end of my interview that she'll definitely be in touch and when I sent her a thank you email she responded and said again that she'll be in touch soon. I know my brother told the program he ranked # 1 for medical residency that he ranked them that way and they appreciated that but I'm not sure if it would be the same. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys think it'd be appropriate to tell your number 1 choice you ranked them number 1? The PD of that program told me at the end of my interview that she'll definitely be in touch and when I sent her a thank you email she responded and said again that she'll be in touch soon. I know my brother told the program he ranked # 1 for medical residency that he ranked them that way and they appreciated that but I'm not sure if it would be the same. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I wouldn't. I don't see how telling them is going to benefit you? If they liked you, they would rank you appropriately. I don't think they would move you up higher on the rank because you put them #1.

Members don't see this ad :)
It really depends. My #1 choice called me a few days ago to clarify something on my app and I told the PD that I ranked them #1 and he said I was not meant to disclose such info to him, and this was after he had told me that they very much enjoyed talking to me. At least, he now knows I will be ranking them #1.

You just broke match rules? uhh ohh. They can report you and you could be "kicked" out of the match?

Rule one... read all the rules

As mentioned, that is kind of a breach in the rules! You could consider just letting them know that you enjoyed learning about their program and you were glad you applied there.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure you are NOT supposed to discuss your rankings with programs and vice versa. The Match is supposed to be about what YOU want and if everyone went around telling each other it kinda starts to defeat the objectiveness of it all. I don't want my rankings influenced by how programs ranked me and vice versa.

I would just sit tight and wait til March 22nd. You already sent a thank you and got a response. No need to reach out again unless you need to clarify something before making your ROLIC list.

You just broke match rules? uhh ohh. They can report you and you could be "kicked" out of the match?

Rule one... read all the rules

First rule about the match....don't talk about the match.

Is it okay to say I hope to see you again in July? It's just telling them I REALLY like the program

Just to say once again, I'm pretty sure most programs know most of their applicants really want to see them in July. I doubt it's going to change how they rank you.

Agree...telling me you will rank my program #1 isn't going to change your ranking. If I like candidate XYZ better than you, I would still rank them higher. I already know you are interested in my program because you took the time to apply and interview there...

First rule about the match....don't talk about the match.

BINGO! ..Why do I want to make soap all of a sudden...Anyways
I wouldn't say your intention of ranking, you never know who will report a broken rule to the NMS service and void all of your months of hard work. Just send a simple thank you and rank the way you feel and hope the program does the same!

Agree...telling me you will rank my program #1 isn't going to change your ranking. If I like candidate XYZ better than you, I would still rank them higher. I already know you are interested in my program because you took the time to apply and interview there...

True story.

I wouldn't. I don't see how telling them is going to benefit you? If they liked you, they would rank you appropriately. I don't think they would move you up higher on the rank because you put them #1.

In fact, by my (weak) understanding of the algorithm, they could now rank you lower than other candidates they liked equally because they know they will get you if those other candidates don't put them as number one.

Members don't see this ad :)
In fact, by my (weak) understanding of the algorithm, they could now rank you lower than other candidates they liked equally because they know they will get you if those other candidates don't put them as number one.

:laugh: I guess I could see that. It makes my head hurt to think of how to win with the algorithm. I just did like it said, rank on how I felt about the program.

In any event, I think it's tacky. Not to be harsh, but they already know most people are desperate to get a spot. Like Karm said, you showed you were interested by applying and interviewing with them. No need to keep reiterating how much you love them. You did the best you could do. Rank the programs how you see fit and let the chips fall where they may! :)

As others have said, don't reach out to tell them they're your #1 and don't continually contact the program. It gets annoying. As a student, I was actually turned off by a program that told me at the end of the interview I was likely their first choice. I imagine the same could happen the other way around.

:laugh: I guess I could see that. It makes my head hurt to think of how to win with the algorithm. I just did like it said, rank on how I felt about the program.

You win by ranking programs in the order you would like to attend them. There is no way to "beat" the match.

As others have said, don't reach out to tell them they're your #1 and don't continually contact the program. It gets annoying. As a student, I was actually turned off by a program that told me at the end of the interview I was likely their first choice. I imagine the same could happen the other way around.

You win by ranking programs in the order you would like to attend them. There is no way to "beat" the match.

Yes. I know. People come up with all these crazy ways and formulas, and I just want to tell them to "STOP!" People have said it over and over again to just rank with which ones you prefer.

Yes. I know. People come up with all these crazy ways and formulas, and I just want to tell them to "STOP!" People have said it over and over again to just rank with which ones you prefer.

I matched at my 3rd or 4th choice for PGY1 (don't remember)...I found out after being there that I was in their top 6 (and they had 6 residents). It didn't matter that they weren't my top choice...I still matched. I was not ranked high enough to get matched at my 1st or 2nd choice and it did not hurt me that I ranked my program lower. I ranked according to my preference and it worked out in the end. I would not trade the experience I got as a PGY1 for ANYTHING! Don't get discouraged if you don't match at your top choice.

I matched at my 3rd or 4th choice for PGY1 (don't remember)...I found out after being there that I was in their top 6 (and they had 6 residents). It didn't matter that they weren't my top choice...I still matched. I was not ranked high enough to get matched at my 1st or 2nd choice and it did not hurt me that I ranked my program lower. I ranked according to my preference and it worked out in the end. I would not trade the experience I got as a PGY1 for ANYTHING! Don't get discouraged if you don't match at your top choice.

I also matched at my 3rd ranked program and wouldn't change the experience for anything. I was initially disappointed with the match results, but ultimately I was a good fit the program and it showed through my awesome experience there.

Everything happens for a reason.

Last edited:

I also matched at my 3rd ranked program and wouldn't change the experience for anything. I was initially disappointed with the match results, but ultimately I was a good for the program and it showed through my awesome experience there.

Everything happens for a reason.
Thanks to both of you for always chiming in and giving us your side of the story. Definitely helpful and insightful for the lost herd on SD :p

Thanks to both of you for always chiming in and giving us your side of the story. Definitely helpful and insightful for the lost herd on SD :p

I agree! I'd be happy to go to any of programs that I ranked. They're all really good programs, so I have my fingers crossed. 19 more days! :D

Yeah, I keep telling my friends the same thing, "RANK YOUR CHOICES HOW YOU WANT TO RANK THEM" regardless of how well you thought it went, just put them in the order that you would want to be there. I know they have given countless examples of how the algorithm works, but fact of the matter is that it becomes WAY more complex when you move to the scale of thousands of applicants for something like a couple thousand spots. So its damn near impossible to guesstimate where you'll be.

That being said, I wonder why there is such a long time between rank submissions and match day...with it being all computerized now, I can't imagine it would take longer than the weekend to run the program and match everyone....maybe there is more too it?....CONSPIRACY!?!? hahahaha

That being said, I wonder why there is such a long time between rank submissions and match day...with it being all computerized now, I can't imagine it would take longer than the weekend to run the program and match everyone....maybe there is more too it?....CONSPIRACY!?!? hahahaha

To make our hair go gray faster. :)

Yeah, I keep telling my friends the same thing, "RANK YOUR CHOICES HOW YOU WANT TO RANK THEM" regardless of how well you thought it went, just put them in the order that you would want to be there. I know they have given countless examples of how the algorithm works, but fact of the matter is that it becomes WAY more complex when you move to the scale of thousands of applicants for something like a couple thousand spots. So its damn near impossible to guesstimate where you'll be.

I read somewhere it only takes a couple hours before they have the results but couples matching makes them manually have to go back through to verify stuff as it doesn't work 100% with the algorithm

I read somewhere it only takes a couple hours before they have the results but couples matching makes them manually have to go back through to verify stuff as it doesn't work 100% with the algorithm

Booooo couples matching making me wait for seemingly an eternity lol

I would honestly remove this post and pray he didn't report you to MATCH.