telling a school it's your top choice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have an interview at my absolute top choice school later this week. i was wondering if sending a letter of interest or letting the admissions office know it is my clear first choice would hurt me in any way. for example, would it affect merit scholarships, financial aid packages, etc. if they knew they did not need to lure me with $$$?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

snowgirl said:
i have an interview at my absolute top choice school later this week. i was wondering if sending a letter of interest or letting the admissions office know it is my clear first choice would hurt me in any way. for example, would it affect merit scholarships, financial aid packages, etc. if they knew they did not need to lure me with $$$?

thanks!

I think your main concern right now should be getting accepted to the school in the first place. With that in mind you should absolutely let them know if they are genuinely your first choice. When I went to my first choice school I let everyone know it was my first choice, right Somewhere2010? I told everyone, my host, my interviewer etc. When I told my interviewer he said he would put that in his notes. If it's true let them know!

Oh, by the way I got in!!!!!!! I wish you the very best.

princessd3 said:
I think your main concern right now should be getting accepted to the school in the first place. With that in mind you should absolutely let them know if they are genuinely your first choice. When I went to my first choice school I let everyone know it was my first choice, right Somewhere2010? I told everyone, my host, my interviewer etc. When I told my interviewer he said he would put that in his notes. If it's true let them know!

Oh, by the way I got in!!!!!!! I wish you the very best.

thanks for the quick response princessd3! i'm asking about this because due to serious health issues in my immediate family, money has been tight. as a result, financial aid will play a key role in where I choose to attend med school. in light of this, is it still a wise decision financially? thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
snowgirl said:
thanks for the quick response princessd3! i'm asking about this because due to serious health issues in my immediate family, money has been tight. as a result, financial aid will play a key role in where I choose to attend med school. in light of this, is it still a wise decision financially? thanks again!

Why don't you tell the truth? Say that this school is your unequivocal top choice but that if you don't get enough financial aid, you might not be able to attend (due to what you explained above). This way you have the best of both worlds; they know they are your top choice, and they might try to lure you there with money.

unicorn06 said:
Why don't you tell the truth? Say that this school is your unequivocal top choice but that if you don't get enough financial aid, you might not be able to attend (due to what you explained above). This way you have the best of both worlds; they know they are your top choice, and they might try to lure you there with money.

is that really something you can throw in during an interivew? or should i express my interest, wait for a possible acceptance, and then negotiate financial aid?

snowgirl said:

Are you worried about commiting to a school before you know your financial aid package, or are you worried they will screw you if they know you're going? Haha, I can just see it, "Hi this is Dr.Adcom from admissions, yes, I'm just letting you know this is snowgirl's top choice.... screw her on the aid package? yeah thats what I was thinking. You know the procedure, so go ahead and double her tuition too....yes, excellent, excellent..." :laugh:

I say tell them. Get in first, worry about $$ later.

snowgirl said:
is that really something you can throw in during an interivew? or should i express my interest, wait for a possible acceptance, and then negotiate financial aid?

Hmmm...personally, I would be wondering, "If she really wants to ge here that bad, why isn't she willing to pay for it?" After all, most students take out significant loans for med school.

unicorn06 said:
oops...i think i posted twice...ignore this.