Telling my #1 that they're #1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GiJoe

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any benefit to doing this? I have an interview with my #1 next week and feel like I should tell them...is there anything wrong about this? Has anyone done this and does it make any difference?

Members don't see this ad.

They probibly won't believe you just like you wouldn't believe them if they said it. (aka. couldn't hurt) Your probibly going to do it anyway though. Good luck. Im pretty sure they will still respect you in the morning.

of course if it will make me sound/look desperate, i'll keep my mouth shut about it and mabey tell them when Feb, rolls around...??

Members don't see this ad :)
GiJoe said:
Is there any benefit to doing this? I have an interview with my #1 next week and feel like I should tell them...is there anything wrong about this? Has anyone done this and does it make any difference?
I'm not in EM but I was faced with this when I was applying to programs last year.

I don't have a problem with people telling their #1 program that they will be ranked #1. I do recommend that you back it up with concrete reasons. For instance, you can mention what you want in a program and how you discussed this with your adviser.

I did the same with my #1 program. During the interview day, I would tell interviewers that before the application process began, my initial research and the recommendations from my advisers had led me to look at this program as a pre-emptive #1. I would then tell them that "so far, my visit today has convinced me not to think otherwise." At the end of the day, I told the PD that I really enjoyed the day and my expectations were met. In addition, I told her reasons why my expectations were exceeded.

In my followup correspondence with the program, I basically told this program in so many words that they would be at the top of my rank list.

So, in summary, I think there is nothing wrong with communicating with your top choice program that you will rank them #1. But give them reasons. Make it sound legitimate. PD's frequently come across people who tell them "you're my #1" but end up somewhere else after the match. And PD's really do get frustrated with these antics because they were expecting to match these folks.

GiJoe said:

So let me get this straight - you are going to tell your #1 program, with whom you have not yet interviewed, that they are #1, while you are interviewing with them? Perhaps you should wait a couple of weeks, make sure this is the one, and then do it right with a personal phone call to the PD (if it truly is your #1 program, you should feel comfortable doing that, right?). I would be up front about your interest in the program while you are there to interview, but we are still a long way from ranking applicants (at least another month). Show interest, have a good interview, and then be personal as it comes closer to rank time. Personally, I don't put too much stock in telling programs they are #1 anymore...

What Niner said.

I'm done interviewing this season (finally) and I have already told my number one that they are my number one.

no biggie.

later

Congratulations - just be sure to call them back in a month or so to remind them. Now have a beer for me...

southerndoc said:
In-and-Out of course!
Crap.. thats prob gonna be my #1. I hope not everyone picks them or ill be stuck at some other place. :scared:

True... Southerndoc what should I use as a backup if too many overly qualified applicants take all the spots at Inn-n-Out?

I'm going to keep my #1 to myself at this point in the game. Anonymity can be nice at times. The only reason I say that is that several people on this board KNOW who I am and I'd rather not reveal my oober secret number one...................OKAY...okay......I'll give you a hint. One of the attendings on staff is Dr. Fattymcfatpants.

later

Where is In- and - Out?

Generally on the west coast I am not sure of the exact location.