Telling the boss you want to leave his pharmacy.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, basically I work in 2 pharmacies right now. The store I have most experience in and depends on me the most is a store about 15 miles away from me and operates on normal hours, and does 150-200 scripts on the day that I work there, the weekly is about 1300 scripts.

I recently started working an evening shift at a 24 hour pharmacy and that evening is as busy as the entire Saturday at the regular pharmacy, they do about 3700 scripts/week. They are 2 miles away from me.

I worked 3 day shifts in the 24 hour pharmacy this week, and although it was busy as hell, I liked the craziness of it and how the entire pharmacy didn't depend on me because there were 4-5 trained technicians and 2 pharmacists on at the same time as opposed to just 2-3 technicians. Basically I spent most of the day at this pharmacy doing doctor calls, and taking in new scripts, they day just flew by.

How do I tell my Saturday boss that I don't want to work at his pharmacy anymore because his pharmacy has a lower volume, therefore the time just crawls at his pharmacy. Honestly, there are segments of times at the Saturday pharmacy where we do no scripts, and then I gotta start pulling expireds (most boring job in the world).

Members don't see this ad.

So the job you want to keep is closer to home? You could always tell your boss about the shorter commute & how your other job is a convenient location for you. I wouldn't really compare pharmacies though (i.e. high volume vs low volume of scripts), unless people at work complain about it. Make it so you can say thank you at the exit door lol.

Do you honestly have to depend on strangers from a forum to tell you how to quit a job? honestly, how old are u.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you honestly have to depend on strangers from a forum to tell you how to quit a job? honestly, how old are u.

:thumbdown: for wasting space and time with that post.

OP - Just tell your PIC what you just said above. It is nothing personal, but you are going for the "more experience" and "closer to home" factors. Tell him you appreciate the opportunity to work there (as it appears you did) and make every attempt to keep a small amount of communication (if possible).

Professionalism is like a muscle, you develop it with maturity. Flex yours in this case.

~above~

There's never a such thing as a dumb question!!:cool:

I just believe that for situations like your own job, you should make your own choices since you are the one living it. You can ask what kind of pharmacy will give you the most experience or whether it is better to work in a slow or fast pharmacy. An even better question would be, how do i quit but still convince my boss to write me a rec letter. Anything else should be a life learning process that you should learn to deal with it on your own. Sorry if im coming out a little strong.

The problem is that the boss at the pharmacy that I want to leave tends to take things personally and me leaving would mean that the most experienced intern is gone and he will have to train another person. If I tell him I don't want to work at his pharmacy anymore because the other one is closer, he is going to go into one of his rants about how I'm doing this for it to be convenient for me without thinking about how it affects him.

I would tell him it's closer to home and give him a 2 or more weeks notice before you leave.

It's an eventuality of life that people will leave jobs. If he's a business owner he should know that. What you may want to propose after letting him know you are wanting to leave is to hire someone for you to take under your wing for a month to get them more up to speed. Is this pharmacy one that you hope to work for or purchase from the owner eventually? You have to go with what you're passionate about.

The problem is that the boss at the pharmacy that I want to leave tends to take things personally and me leaving would mean that the most experienced intern is gone and he will have to train another person. If I tell him I don't want to work at his pharmacy anymore because the other one is closer, he is going to go into one of his rants about how I'm doing this for it to be convenient for me without thinking about how it affects him.

i'm kind of in the same shoes as you, except i'm not leaving my pharmacy that does 150-200 a day. I'm surprised you even have 2-3 techs working at a time, there's only 1 tech at our store at a time, 1 in the morning, 1 at night. When one of us has to leave for pharm school we have to break it to them and try our best to train the person coming in. Busy stores pass by the time, but are also more exhausting. I like my slow store, i get to listen to all the pharmacist's consultations!