Telling your advisor how many interviews you get?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lakeplacid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m wondering if any of you are telling your advisors about how many interviews you’ve received, and from what programs, etc. I want to share the good news with my advisor, but he is on the residency selection committee at my program, so I’m wondering if it’s really a good idea to let him know all this information, or if it’ll make them think I don’t want to stay and hence rank me lower. I’d like to know how other people have shared the good news with advisors without giving them too much information.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m wondering if any of you are telling your advisors about how many interviews you’ve received, and from what programs, etc. I want to share the good news with my advisor, but he is on the residency selection committee at my program, so I’m wondering if it’s really a good idea to let him know all this information, or if it’ll make them think I don’t want to stay and hence rank me lower. I’d like to know how other people have shared the good news with advisors without giving them too much information.

I don't think there is any harm in sharing the news with him. I'm sure he'll want to know about the interviews you've received. If you end up wanting to stay at your home program after all interviews are done, you should obviously let him know you are ranking your home program #1.

I've e-mail updated my adviser on interviews. He was excited for me. He also knows I will not be staying at my home program.

A good, honest advisor should be interested in your well being, and want to see you satisfied with your decisions and choices. If this descibes your advisor, share the news! I haven't told mine yet (been away for a month), but will be setting up a meeting when I get back next week to recap things so far before interviews. I think most people tell theirs, and I cartainly don't think it will affect your ranking at your program - after all your advisor hopefully advised you to apply more broadly than only your home program.