Temperature and Keq

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

For endo/exothermic reactions, why does a change in temperature affect the Keq of the reaction? The sources that I've found refer to heat as a reactant/product, and the reaction shifts accordingly when adding/removing heat from the system. But why does this shift also change Keq, if changes in concentration/pressure also cause shifts but maintain the same Keq?

Members don't see this ad.

SmartSelectImage_2017-08-07-20-32-19.png

[^see thumbnail for best explanation I can think of right now...gets good after the "If we increase the Temperature" line; used an exothermic rxn as an example]
Maybe because "heat" isn't actually plugged into the Keq equation? Ie. it doesn't have a Molarity associated with it, so when we manipulate the heat variable, it causes the other variables to change and thus changes K?

Last edited:
Temperature has an effect on the rate of the reaction as seen in the Arrhenius equation. Keq as you know is rate fwd/rate rvrs, and because temperature changes the rate, it changes the ratio of Keq.

Temperature has an effect on the rate of the reaction as seen in the Arrhenius equation. Keq as you know is rate fwd/rate rvrs, and because temperature changes the rate, it changes the ratio of Keq.
Totally forgot about that! Now that I think about it, changing the concentration/pressure of the species wouldn't affect the rate constants, so the Keq remains constant in that case.