DBrasco778

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2004
14
0
Status
Got declined at IU this morning and my acceptance for Temple this afternoon. Just wondering who else would be at Temple next year and what your thoughts were on the best place to live...
 

Dr.BadVibes

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2003
2,476
2
38
Toronto, Centre of Canada
Visit site
Status
Depends on what you like...u like living in the city or more of a quiet, nature-type atmosphere....or real suburbian type thing....sky is the limit
 
OP
D

DBrasco778

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2004
14
0
Status
Dr.BadVibes said:
Depends on what you like...u like living in the city or more of a quiet, nature-type atmosphere....or real suburbian type thing....sky is the limit
I would prefer the city but in the end it comes down to cost
 

Paps

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2004
32
0
Status
DBrasco778 said:
Got declined at IU this morning and my acceptance for Temple this afternoon. Just wondering who else would be at Temple next year and what your thoughts were on the best place to live...
Congratulations...just wondering...when was you interview @ temple?
 

fruity_trident

in lala land
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2004
623
0
35
96818
Status
Dentist
DBrasco778 said:
oh man...i guess temple doesn't want me. i had my interview jan 7th :(

unless, they have rounds of acceptances and my interview group's applications were reviewed with yours too....and if u found out in the post, hopefully i'll find something pleasant in my mailbox after class today.

otherwise :(
 
OP
D

DBrasco778

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2004
14
0
Status
Brian said that he takes the applicants file to lisa deem after you have emailed him telling him that you want to go there, or at least that's what he told our group. Then she makes a decision to accept or send it to the committee.
 

fruity_trident

in lala land
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2004
623
0
35
96818
Status
Dentist
DBrasco778 said:
Brian said that he takes the applicants file to lisa deem after you have emailed him telling him that you want to go there, or at least that's what he told our group. Then she makes a decision to accept or send it to the committee.
i emailed him the following sunday, and i sent a thank u card to both brian and my interviewer
:(
 

Noroozi

Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2004
58
0
35
Toronto
Visit site
Status
I may be wrong on this, but I have a feeling that they just randomly pick ppl who had interviews and send their apps to the committee for final decision. Some people who had interviews more recently get lucky, others get left behind.
 
OP
D

DBrasco778

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2004
14
0
Status
Noroozi said:
I may be wrong on this, but I have a feeling that they just randomly pick ppl who had interviews and send their apps to the committee for final decision. Some people who had interviews more recently get lucky, others get left behind.
I doubt that.... If they had enough time to decide to grant an interview, I'm sure they don't just randomly review apps from that point on.
 

tuanng27

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2004
19
0
46
Texas
Visit site
Status
Hi DrBadvibes. Would you tell me what is the expect buget for 1 year at Temple as Out stater and in stater. I live in PA since August 15, 2004 . I don't know will they consider me as out stater or in stater when the school start? and can you tell me how to do residency status adjustment at Temple? Thank. I will go to Temple class 2009.
 

SLIMDEETS

Temple Dental
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2005
74
0
Status
DBrasco778 said:
Got declined at IU this morning and my acceptance for Temple this afternoon. Just wondering who else would be at Temple next year and what your thoughts were on the best place to live...


Congrats :smuggrin:
I live at Summit Park, it's so so.
You got wheels?
Temple Dental; :smuggrin:
President Class 2008
 

bouncy_ball

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 11, 2004
258
0
Status
DBrasco778 said:
Got declined at IU this morning and my acceptance for Temple this afternoon. Just wondering who else would be at Temple next year and what your thoughts were on the best place to live...
Congrats on your acceptance, D. I'm also going to Temple in the fall. Yay for us!

Dr.Badvibes/Slimdeets:
When did you guys start looking for housing? And when did you all actually move to PHilly for school? Dr.BV, is it easy to find an affordable house? I'm moving from CA and it's my first time moving across the country, so I haven't the faintest idea about how to go about the process. Please enlighten.
 
OP
D

DBrasco778

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2004
14
0
Status
SLIMDEETS said:
Congrats :smuggrin:
I live at Summit Park, it's so so.
You got wheels?
Temple Dental; :smuggrin:
President Class 2008
Yeah I have a car but I've seen the apartments that they try to pass as "melrose place" and I don't know if I would want to live in them. I will probably end up living there though because I don't think I'm going to have enough money to live in center city.
 

Dr.BadVibes

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2003
2,476
2
38
Toronto, Centre of Canada
Visit site
Status
fruity_trident said:
oh man...i guess temple doesn't want me. i had my interview jan 7th :(

unless, they have rounds of acceptances and my interview group's applications were reviewed with yours too....and if u found out in the post, hopefully i'll find something pleasant in my mailbox after class today.

otherwise :(
Thats crazy B! Brian said you did amazing! I put in such a good word for ya! I really cant do much more without crossing that professional line....so I guess all i can say is to wait :(

and sorry I didnt get back to your PM sooner, but thanks for the bday wishes....you are too sweet! :love:

i partied too much that week that I had to spend this week, day and night trying to catch up.....oh well.
 

Dr.BadVibes

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2003
2,476
2
38
Toronto, Centre of Canada
Visit site
Status
tuanng27 said:
Hi DrBadvibes. Would you tell me what is the expect buget for 1 year at Temple as Out stater and in stater. I live in PA since August 15, 2004 . I don't know will they consider me as out stater or in stater when the school start? and can you tell me how to do residency status adjustment at Temple? Thank. I will go to Temple class 2009.
as an out of stater your tuition is something like 37K, plus around 5500 for instruments....also depends on how you live.....if you live in Roxborough at around $450/month, i guess you could budget around $55k for the year? its a hard question to answer cause everyone's situation is different

as far as your situation, if you moved in August of last year to PA, that means you have been here for a year prior to school and you are guaranteed instate tuition right away...congrats, you just saved $40K :D
 

Dr.BadVibes

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2003
2,476
2
38
Toronto, Centre of Canada
Visit site
Status
Noroozi said:
I may be wrong on this, but I have a feeling that they just randomly pick ppl who had interviews and send their apps to the committee for final decision. Some people who had interviews more recently get lucky, others get left behind.
i doubt it...this is a professional school...its not like they are picking a team for a pick-up game of hockey....
 

Dr.BadVibes

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2003
2,476
2
38
Toronto, Centre of Canada
Visit site
Status
bouncy_ball said:
Congrats on your acceptance, D. I'm also going to Temple in the fall. Yay for us!

Dr.Badvibes/Slimdeets:
When did you guys start looking for housing? And when did you all actually move to PHilly for school? Dr.BV, is it easy to find an affordable house? I'm moving from CA and it's my first time moving across the country, so I haven't the faintest idea about how to go about the process. Please enlighten.
i started to look in the spring....because thats when school is ending for many people and houses start going up for sale! :)

Is it hard to find affordable housing? Depends....what is your definition of "affordable"....where do u wanna live...in the city?? forget it. In Roxborough...yah if you are lucky and keep up with real estate listings cause they go in seconds......30 mins into the suburbs?? VERY EASY.

its really a hard question to answer unless you give some specifics....
 

Dr.BadVibes

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2003
2,476
2
38
Toronto, Centre of Canada
Visit site
Status
DBrasco778 said:
Yeah I have a car but I've seen the apartments that they try to pass as "melrose place" and I don't know if I would want to live in them. I will probably end up living there though because I don't think I'm going to have enough money to live in center city.
If you dont wanna live at Melrose, there are TONSSSSS of places within minutes of Summit that have very very affordable housing. Another popular place with Temple Students is "Henry on the Park". But that is only one of MANY!!
 

fruity_trident

in lala land
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2004
623
0
35
96818
Status
Dentist
Dr.BadVibes said:
Thats crazy B! Brian said you did amazing! I put in such a good word for ya! I really cant do much more without crossing that professional line....so I guess all i can say is to wait :(

and sorry I didnt get back to your PM sooner, but thanks for the bday wishes....you are too sweet! :love:

i partied too much that week that I had to spend this week, day and night trying to catch up.....oh well.
partied too much eh? what did u end up doin?...i'm goin to nyc from 14-21 (reading week)...
if u're to busy...go to NYC next weekend...or maybe i can convince my sister to party it up with me in philly, and we'll stay @ her friends place..hehe.
i'll be 21 by then ;)

for the last 3 yrs, i've been studying during my bday....but i finally get a BREAK & get to party! :D :thumbup:
 

bouncy_ball

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 11, 2004
258
0
Status
Dr.BadVibes said:
i started to look in the spring....because thats when school is ending for many people and houses start going up for sale! :)

Is it hard to find affordable housing? Depends....what is your definition of "affordable"....where do u wanna live...in the city?? forget it. In Roxborough...yah if you are lucky and keep up with real estate listings cause they go in seconds......30 mins into the suburbs?? VERY EASY.

its really a hard question to answer unless you give some specifics....
I'd like to live in the outskirts of Philly like Roxborough, but definitely not 30 mins away. The biggest factors for me are safety of the area and size of the house. As for specifics, what I'm looking for is a small place (1-2 bedroom) w/ a garage. I've searched for houses 4 sale in Philly online w/ no success. I hope you don't mind me asking, but can u tell me about your house (#rooms, ball park cost, how far from school)? If you'd prefer not say, I'll understand.
 

tuanng27

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2004
19
0
46
Texas
Visit site
Status
DrBabvibes, I would like to ask you what is the text that the school use for general and oral histology? I would like to read it before the school start.
 

Dr.BadVibes

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2003
2,476
2
38
Toronto, Centre of Canada
Visit site
Status
bouncy_ball said:
I'd like to live in the outskirts of Philly like Roxborough, but definitely not 30 mins away. The biggest factors for me are safety of the area and size of the house. As for specifics, what I'm looking for is a small place (1-2 bedroom) w/ a garage. I've searched for houses 4 sale in Philly online w/ no success. I hope you don't mind me asking, but can u tell me about your house (#rooms, ball park cost, how far from school)? If you'd prefer not say, I'll understand.
In that case, Roxborough or East Falls are well situated and have everything you are looking for.

Its very safe, quiet, 10 mins from school, 90% of the school lives there, 3 supermarkets within minutes, its 5 mins from Main St. (a street w/ trendy stores and tons of nightlife!) or 15 mins to the city centre......and its surrounded by forest and nature. Across the street from my house is a horse stable for gods sake!

Anyways, if you are buying, go for a condo!! THey can be super cheap. The place I bought is in Roxborough, its about 850 square feet, and takes me 10-15 mins by car to get to school. And best of all, my place only cost me $50,000!!!

Just ask fruity_trident.....she came to visit my house. Its definitely adequate for a dental student, wouldnt you say fruity?

So go online and check for places or call up some real estate agents.

IF you dont wanna condo, I think houses in this area are quite expensive...like 150K range.
 

Dr.BadVibes

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2003
2,476
2
38
Toronto, Centre of Canada
Visit site
Status
tuanng27 said:
DrBabvibes, I would like to ask you what is the text that the school use for general and oral histology? I would like to read it before the school start.
Trust me, dont worry about histology....if you put in a decent amount of work during the year (when I mean decent, I mean average....but not killing yourself), that course is a guaranteed A.

If you really wanna be a nerd and prepare beforehand, STUDY BIOCHEMISTRY AND ONLY BIOCHEMISTRY!!

Dont worry about your other courses....STUDY BIOCHEM!
 

redhead

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2004
23
0
Chicago
Status
Dr.BadVibes said:
Trust me, dont worry about histology....if you put in a decent amount of work during the year (when I mean decent, I mean average....but not killing yourself), that course is a guaranteed A.

If you really wanna be a nerd and prepare beforehand, STUDY BIOCHEMISTRY AND ONLY BIOCHEMISTRY!!

Dont worry about your other courses....STUDY BIOCHEM!
Hey Dr. BadVibes....can you tell me if there is a lot of focus on Immunology? I am taking that course right now and we seem to be going into a lot of depth. How about biochemistry and Microbiology.....depth wise? I am also taking those courses. Also, can you recommend a dental terminology book? Do I need one for school? I was thinking about buying one to familarize myself with some terms and also help me while I am working in my ortho's office
 

fruity_trident

in lala land
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2004
623
0
35
96818
Status
Dentist
Dr.BadVibes said:
Just ask fruity_trident.....she came to visit my house. Its definitely adequate for a dental student, wouldnt you say fruity?
VERY ADEQUATE...i mean, i've been in the city for a long while...and i live in a box...my place right now is small.
dr. badvibes place is awesome! :thumbup:
and i hear he's enhancing it with some awesome entertainment systme tool :love:
 

Dr.BadVibes

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2003
2,476
2
38
Toronto, Centre of Canada
Visit site
Status
redhead said:
Hey Dr. BadVibes....can you tell me if there is a lot of focus on Immunology? I am taking that course right now and we seem to be going into a lot of depth. How about biochemistry and Microbiology.....depth wise? I am also taking those courses. Also, can you recommend a dental terminology book? Do I need one for school? I was thinking about buying one to familarize myself with some terms and also help me while I am working in my ortho's office
Immunology and Micro are not taken until sophmore year, so an upper year will be better able to assist you with that....

regarding biochem, its basically the only course you need to study your ass off first semester here....so I would get any biochem book and start memorizing the basics of biochem.....

about the dental book, we use Dental Anatomy by Woelfl....also a good read before school starts, cause I remember the first dental anatomy lecture, the guy was speaking chinese to me or something!
 

Dr.BadVibes

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2003
2,476
2
38
Toronto, Centre of Canada
Visit site
Status
fruity_trident said:
VERY ADEQUATE...i mean, i've been in the city for a long while...and i live in a box...my place right now is small.
dr. badvibes place is awesome! :thumbup:
and i hear he's enhancing it with some awesome entertainment systme tool :love:
Oh yah!!! I got the system last weekend and the setup is all going down this weekend! Got a 30 inch widescreen Sony High Def TV with a Sony surround sound home theatre system! Its gonna be so damn sweet! :cool:
 

fruity_trident

in lala land
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2004
623
0
35
96818
Status
Dentist
Dr.BadVibes said:
about the dental book, we use Dental Anatomy by Woelfl....also a good read before school starts, cause I remember the first dental anatomy lecture, the guy was speaking chinese to me or something!
hey...that means i'll rock dental anatomy! lol :laugh:

happy "setting up your system" this weekend...while i have a happy "yay i have reading week" :thumbup: :D

t minus 2 hrs til micro :oops:
 

bouncy_ball

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 11, 2004
258
0
Status
Dr.BadVibes said:
In that case, Roxborough or East Falls are well situated and have everything you are looking for.

Its very safe, quiet, 10 mins from school, 90% of the school lives there, 3 supermarkets within minutes, its 5 mins from Main St. (a street w/ trendy stores and tons of nightlife!) or 15 mins to the city centre......and its surrounded by forest and nature. Across the street from my house is a horse stable for gods sake!

Anyways, if you are buying, go for a condo!! THey can be super cheap. The place I bought is in Roxborough, its about 850 square feet, and takes me 10-15 mins by car to get to school. And best of all, my place only cost me $50,000!!!

Just ask fruity_trident.....she came to visit my house. Its definitely adequate for a dental student, wouldnt you say fruity?

So go online and check for places or call up some real estate agents.

IF you dont wanna condo, I think houses in this area are quite expensive...like 150K range.
sweet... sounds awesome! did your condo come w/ a garage space too? thanks for the help, dr. bv.
 

redhead

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2004
23
0
Chicago
Status
Can some of you dental students from Temple give some more information about living? I want to start looking early and the admissions office won't give out any material till the end of March. I was looking to buy but don't know where to begin looking.....is there some type of newspaper or website that provides information? What are the best places to live and if possible, their city name and zip so I can start doing some research. Thanks..
 
OP
D

DBrasco778

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2004
14
0
Status
You can try craigslist.com, I was also looking to buy, but I'll probably end up renting my own place at the Roxborough apartment complex. I think a roommate is out until I meet someone that I know is normal. I'm going to philly next week to look for apartments for sale.
 

aceking

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2004
195
1
Status
DBrasco778 said:
You can try craigslist.com, I was also looking to buy, but I'll probably end up renting my own place at the Roxborough apartment complex. I think a roommate is out until I meet someone that I know is normal. I'm going to philly next week to look for apartments for sale.

i was planning for the same thing, but i thought it is just too cold right know to go. i was just going to wait until late march to look aroung for sale or lease in that area
 
OP
D

DBrasco778

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2004
14
0
Status
aceking said:
i was planning for the same thing, but i thought it is just too cold right know to go. i was just going to wait until late march to look aroung for sale or lease in that area
Well I only live about 2 hours away and I'm gonna more less travel around philly and see the different areas and waht not maybe go to KoP and that stuff. How far away do you live?
 

aceking

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2004
195
1
Status
DBrasco778 said:
Well I only live about 2 hours away and I'm gonna more less travel around philly and see the different areas and waht not maybe go to KoP and that stuff. How far away do you live?
i live like cali far
 

bouncy_ball

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 11, 2004
258
0
Status
aceking said:
i was planning for the same thing, but i thought it is just too cold right know to go. i was just going to wait until late march to look aroung for sale or lease in that area
I'm doing the same thing. I'm from Cali too.
 

superman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2003
210
0
Visit site
Status
Dentist
For those decided on attending Temple, did you begin (or finish) collecting a quart-size jar's worth of teeth yet? That seems like a lot of teeth. :rolleyes:
 

jiffbedgerson

aka Mr. Oh Yeah
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Hey Dr. Bad Vibes or anyone else currently attending tusod, hope finals are going well, how do the professors handle the students at Temple? would you consider it to be a good relationship, all in all? Who are you more/less fond of? I never got to really meet any of the professors on the interview to get a feel for myself and i was hoping you could give me some insight! Thanks :thumbup:
 

aceking

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2004
195
1
Status
Actually, Roxborough was much nicer than what i expected.

My top 2 choices: Summit Park and Woodmere. I will probably be placing the deposit by end of next week. But for some reason i am leaning more towards Woodmere.

My thoughts
Summit Garden was more for older people
Henry on the Park was ok to live for 1year due to the discount, but in the long run i believe that there are better options. Also probably the biggest apt complex with elevators.
 

bouncy_ball

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 11, 2004
258
0
Status
superman said:
For those decided on attending Temple, did you begin (or finish) collecting a quart-size jar's worth of teeth yet? That seems like a lot of teeth. :rolleyes:
didn't know we had to... did u get a letter or something mentioning this?
 

jiffbedgerson

aka Mr. Oh Yeah
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
to bouncy ball, yes we do have to collect a quart-sized jar of teeth, i just received the envelope full of papers yesterday telling us that, along with a host of other things, you'll probably receive your info soon, good luck, see you in august! :thumbup:
 

superman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2003
210
0
Visit site
Status
Dentist
bouncy_ball said:
didn't know we had to... did u get a letter or something mentioning this?
ditto what jiff said. you'll get a bunch of housing information in that packet you'll be receiving.

aceking-- it's good that you visited philly. thanks for the info. i need to visit philly again to check out the housing for myself. so, i presume you decided against buying a house to possibly get in-state tuiton and chose to rent an apartment instead?

to all who will be attending temple: are you guys thinking about finding roommates or will you live alone? also, are you guys going to take your cars to philly or rely on public transportation?


good luck guys in finding housing and collecting teeth. :thumbup:
 

jiffbedgerson

aka Mr. Oh Yeah
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
superman said:
ditto what jiff said. you'll get a bunch of housing information in that packet you'll be receiving.

aceking-- it's good that you visited philly. thanks for the info. i need to visit philly again to check out the housing for myself. so, i presume you decided against buying a house to possibly get in-state tuiton and chose to rent an apartment instead?

to all who will be attending temple: are you guys thinking about finding roommates or will you live alone? also, are you guys going to take your cars to philly or rely on public transportation?


good luck guys in finding housing and collecting teeth. :thumbup:
To answer your question, I'll probably rent a place by myself, I'm leaning towards Valley High (http://www.4wallsinphilly.com/phila/valleyhigh/valleyhigh.htm) in Roxbourgh (W/D in unit :thumbup: , den :thumbup: , central AC :thumbup: , dishwasher :thumbup: , $830/month except electicity :cool: =my necessities) which is about 15 min from school and its a direct route to the school. a roommate would be a good bet though for most, its way cheaper, i've had a mutilple roommates for over 10 years now, i need my own space +pity+

I'm definetely using my car, I've been a slave to SEPTA my entire life, if you or anyone else are planning on living in Roxbourgh/Manayunk, East Falls, City Line Avenue, G-town or NE philly, bring your car, you do not want to take SEPTA from those neighborhoods because its not very accessible and can be unrealiable at times of need (in the winter). However, if you plan on living in center city or around the Parkway(Ben Franklin), SEPTA is probably your best bet, because the subway is the most direct route to school and parking can be costly and inconvenient in the area (broad st subway drops you off right in front of school), you can easily get around philly with SEPTA, but if you have a car, use it!

If anyone has any questions about Philly, feel free to ask, i will not sugar coat anything, i'll tell you as much as possible, good luck everybody, see you in august!
 

flat4

Mullet Redesigner
15+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2002
594
1
Far West
www.perfect10malemodeling.com
Status
Pre-Dental
Just wanted to congratulate all you guys for getting in and making the right decision. Even though this schools not perfect (don't really think any are), I have zero regret coming here but we'll see if that changes once I get into the clinics in the next few weeks. Anyways, if you guys have any questions, shoot me a PM or email. Good luck, congrats, and don't forget to enjoy this summer b/c you won't be having too much free time once school really gets rolling.
 

redhead

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2004
23
0
Chicago
Status
jiffbedgerson said:
To answer your question, I'll probably rent a place by myself, I'm leaning towards Valley High (http://www.4wallsinphilly.com/phila/valleyhigh/valleyhigh.htm) in Roxbourgh (W/D in unit :thumbup: , den :thumbup: , central AC :thumbup: , dishwasher :thumbup: , $830/month except electicity :cool: =my necessities) which is about 15 min from school and its a direct route to the school. a roommate would be a good bet though for most, its way cheaper, i've had a mutilple roommates for over 10 years now, i need my own space +pity+

I'm definetely using my car, I've been a slave to SEPTA my entire life, if you or anyone else are planning on living in Roxbourgh/Manayunk, East Falls, City Line Avenue, G-town or NE philly, bring your car, you do not want to take SEPTA from those neighborhoods because its not very accessible and can be unrealiable at times of need (in the winter). However, if you plan on living in center city or around the Parkway(Ben Franklin), SEPTA is probably your best bet, because the subway is the most direct route to school and parking can be costly and inconvenient in the area (broad st subway drops you off right in front of school), you can easily get around philly with SEPTA, but if you have a car, use it!

If anyone has any questions about Philly, feel free to ask, i will not sugar coat anything, i'll tell you as much as possible, good luck everybody, see you in august!
Is SEPTA The subway? I was thinking about using the subway as a way to get to school. How long does it take? What do you mean about being unrealiable in times of need? Do they run every ten minutes or so? HOw much does it cost to park? Also, I am starting to look for a place to live. I want to buy. I heard some things about Roxbourgh and I am thinking about that area(even though I have never seen it). Where is a safe, close place to live? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!
 

jiffbedgerson

aka Mr. Oh Yeah
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
redhead said:
Is SEPTA The subway? I was thinking about using the subway as a way to get to school. How long does it take? What do you mean about being unrealiable in times of need? Do they run every ten minutes or so? HOw much does it cost to park? Also, I am starting to look for a place to live. I want to buy. I heard some things about Roxbourgh and I am thinking about that area(even though I have never seen it). Where is a safe, close place to live? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!
SEPTA is the main public transportation system in the metro area, it consists of buses, subways, elevated trains, trains, trolleys, etc. How long does it take? That depends on where you want to live. the most congested business type areas of the city have the most accesss to SEPTA (ie center city=downtown), the broad st local subway (this takes you right to the dental school) runs about every 10-12 minutes. i dont know how much it is to park at temple hsc, check and search the temple website (www.temple.edu). parking in center city is costly because its so congested and inconvenient because anyone can park on a street with a parking permit, houses and apts in the center city vicinity are very expensive, because of the convience of living downtown. areas like roxbourgh have bus lines running on the main two streets of the neighborhood (henry and ridge ave), but the routes of those buses take them beyond the city limits sometimes which means there might only be one bus traveling per hour and I am not sure if they will take you around the vicinty of temple hsc. when i say unrealiable, i meant in the winter, were all transportation moves a bit slower! Thats great you want to buy a house, smart move, save on tuition for the next 3 years. the safest and closest places to live would be roxbourgh/manayunk/east falls, rox is residential, quiet, lots of professional students live around there, its next to the fairmount park, manayunk is a little more trendy, but its also a nice place to live, lots of clubs and bars around there, but who has time to party, east falls is residential and really nice and is the closest to school, but a house in that area is going to be well over 100k, all 3 areas are safe and about 8-20 minutes from the school.

hopefully i answered most of your questions, if you or anyone else have any questions, just let me know, good luck finding a house, see you in august!
 

superman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2003
210
0
Visit site
Status
Dentist
flat4 said:
Just wanted to congratulate all you guys for getting in and making the right decision. Even though this schools not perfect (don't really think any are), I have zero regret coming here but we'll see if that changes once I get into the clinics in the next few weeks. Anyways, if you guys have any questions, shoot me a PM or email. Good luck, congrats, and don't forget to enjoy this summer b/c you won't be having too much free time once school really gets rolling.
thanks for your guys' help flat, jiff and aceking! :thumbup:
 

superman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2003
210
0
Visit site
Status
Dentist
Does anyone know if East Falls is a nice place to live? How does it compare to Roxborough? Thanks.