@@~*~!~* Temple Class of 2011 *~!~*~@@

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ICCONFETTI

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
No one has started one for Temple, so I'd figure I'd start one. I interviewed there on 1/10, and I got accepted yesterday (1/26). I'm pretty sure I want to go there (only problem is monies - njms would be a lot cheaper for me) .... anyways, post away! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :laugh: :)

Members don't see this ad.

It's looking like I'll probably be at Temple next year. I can't wait to live in Philadelphia, it's such an amazing city.:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Philly is awesome :). I hear that most students live in

1. East falls (about 5-10 min drive from Temple)

2. Center City (take public transportation to Temple)

3. Manayuk and Roxborough (sp?) which is bout 15 minutes driving from Temple!

Wheeeeee!!! I hope financial aid pulls through for me :)

Hey Temple peeps. As always, I offer my services to answer any questions for the incoming class. Although I'm a third year now, so maybe I'm getting out of touch with interesting stuff for the new 1st years. ;) But anywho, the places ICONFETTI mentioned are pretty much dead on for where most people live. Feel free to shoot any questions regarding that kind of stuff or whatever you want, PM or AIM.

Congrats!!

Where should I live if I have two large dogs and a cat coming with me? I am trying to stay away from a city like neighborhood, is there a suburb kind of place around temple?

manayunk, roxborough, and east falls are all neighborhood-type places. manayunk will tend to be more expensive because its where alot of current students and recent college grads live.

does anyone know if there is a second look weekend at temple?

Yes, there is one. They said they will post more info on the acceptance page in april.

Philly is awesome :). I hear that most students live in

1. East falls (about 5-10 min drive from Temple)

2. Center City (take public transportation to Temple)

3. Manayuk and Roxborough (sp?) which is bout 15 minutes driving from Temple!

Wheeeeee!!! I hope financial aid pulls through for me :)

Is Center City the only place to live if you don't plan on having a car? I will be going to Temple unless I get accepted to Pitt (the only other school I'm waiting on)

I also interviewed 1/10
got the nice email today 2/9.
:thumbup: :thumbup:

Is Center City the only place to live if you don't plan on having a car? I will be going to Temple unless I get accepted to Pitt (the only other school I'm waiting on)

if you don't have a car i would definitely recommend living in center city. from there you can take the subway to school. public transportation in manayunk/east falls/roxborough isn't so great and you would have a hard time getting around without a car.

Does anyone know if 1 and 2 years are P/F only? Or do they have grades? Is there a class rank? I'm also wondering when is everyone planning to move to the area? 1 wk before orientation? 1 month?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if 1 and 2 years are P/F only? Or do they have grades? Is there a class rank? I'm also wondering when is everyone planning to move to the area? 1 wk before orientation? 1 month?

years 1 and 2 are honors/high pass/pass/fail....only a small percentage get honors or high pass....majority of students get a pass....i'm pretty sure there is a class rank....but we are not informed of it....i assume it's used later when applying for residency

i would suggest moving at least a week before orientation so that you are completely settled in....orientation week is pretty busy with social events so you want to make sure you have your apartment set up before then

Do u think the grading system during those years promotes a competition and even animosity between the students?

Do u think the grading system during those years promotes a competition and even animosity between the students?

No I don't think so. There's some students that work really hard and study all the time in order to get honors/high pass and there's plenty of students that just want to get by and pass. I don't feel like we're competing against each other (although in reality i guess we really are) because most everyone is friendly and willing to help you learn. The students that do really well don't brag about it or put anyone else down. The competition makes you work harder so I think it's a good thing....when you see your friends doing well, it makes you want to do well too. As far as I've seen, there's no animosity....everyone is here to learn as much as possible and we all share the same goal.

so has anyone decided for sure if they're going to temple?

at this point, i'm leaning extremely heavily towards it (especially because i have a boyfriend who's a second year there)...

i hope the financial aid package is good.

i am pretty positive that i've decided on going to temple. i loved the school when i interviewed. how soon do i need to worry about looking for an apartment?

i figured i'll start worrying sometime in may/june? I'm not exactly sure when to start worrying either, but it seems like there's plenty of places to live.

i'm 90% sure i'll end up at Temple.

Does anyone know if there's any other financial aid forms we need to fill out besides the fafsa??

Also, how much in financial aid does temple usually give to its students?

Did any of you receive a letter in the mail that gave you a PIN #? It didn't give me an ID # though so I'm not sure why they sent one without the other. It went to my permanent address (mom's) rather than my current address.

i also received the pin #.
I went to TUportal, and checked to get a user name,
after that, I used the ID# that they gave me in the website, it returned saying that I had an account name already.
I used the account name and the pin and I entered it in TUportal.

I don't know if you can do something else but, that is what I did.
There isn't anything interesting in the site anyways.

Did any of you receive a letter in the mail that gave you a PIN #? It didn't give me an ID # though so I'm not sure why they sent one without the other. It went to my permanent address (mom's) rather than my current address.

yea i got the pin#. the id number is actually in the status checker for temple admissions. Basically, where you were told to check your application status (accepted). They give you the ID number there.

I have no idea about TU portal. I can't log in because i don't have a user name? But i can get into OWLnet. Is that what you meant?

I got the User ID and PIN in two separate envelopes. I assume this is for security purposes, but I got them both on the same day, so I don't see how that is any more secure than receiving them in the same envelope.

Oh, yeah the ID # was on the status page...I didn't log into that for a while. Any of you going to second look weekend? I'm not 100% sure if I'm going yet. Philadelphia is so far away and costs so much money to fly there (from California)

Hey,
I probably won't end up going to the 2nd look weekend. I figure I'll probably go to Temple already, and there's really no need for a 2nd look. Plus, like you said, it costs $$$ to fly in and stuff.

I go to school in Pittsburgh, live in NJ.

are you (all) still in school or have been working? etc?

Hey,
I probably won't end up going to the 2nd look weekend. I figure I'll probably go to Temple already, and there's really no need for a 2nd look. Plus, like you said, it costs $$$ to fly in and stuff.

Yeah I will most likely be going to Temple as well unless a miracle happens and I get off the waitlist at Pitt. I just hope all the information they give out at 2nd look will be available online somewhere for all the people that don't go (housing information, help with finding roommates, etc). I graduated at UCSD in 2006 so I've been out of school for less than a year and am working at a lab at the medical school.

Hey,

i go to school in pittsburgh. i was planning on going to the second look day, just driving and staying with a friend or relative.. maybe we could go together.

i'm in the same boat with pitt. i'm going to temple unless i get pulled off the waitlist but i'm not holding my breath for that.

heyy a little bumpage

i just interviewed recently, how do they let you know of your decision?

yea they basically send you a pretty non-emotional email saying "an update has been made to your status page. please check website"

I don't think they notify anyone this way if you got a waitlist/rejection, so it basically means you were accepted.

They have a PRETTY FAST turnover rate (mine was ~2 weeks), which seems to be the norm.

hope that helps!

yea they basically send you a pretty non-emotional email saying "an update has been made to your status page. please check website"

I don't think they notify anyone this way if you got a waitlist/rejection, so it basically means you were accepted.

They have a PRETTY FAST turnover rate (mine was ~2 weeks), which seems to be the norm.

hope that helps!

haha thanks!

im kind of nervous, my interview was only like 15 minutes long

haha thanks!

im kind of nervous, my interview was only like 15 minutes long

Don't let that stress you out... (unless it was short because you told the interviewer to go screw themselves or something :laugh: ) I would say my interview was maybe about 20-25 minutes, but that included me asking a lot of questions... If I didn't have questions my interview would've been 15 minutes too (or maybe even shorter...)

Good luck, and I hope you don't have too long to wait! :luck:

i got mine on a monday..

temple is a great place. im a first year and i also have to say we have the hottest girls in all of philly, if youre into that kind of thing.

the students are really nice and there is good cohesion in the class for whatever kinds of things youre into.

Anyone know if we have to do for financial aid besides fill out the FAFSA? Other schools asked me to fill out other forms and send in signed tax forms. I don't think I ever got anything from Temple asking me to do it.

Anyone know if we have to do for financial aid besides fill out the FAFSA? Other schools asked me to fill out other forms and send in signed tax forms. I don't think I ever got anything from Temple asking me to do it.

I believe that if you want to be considered for need-based aid, you have to fill out the parental portion of the FAFSA. If I'm not mistaken you also give a copy of your tax return (and parents also if you think you have a chance at need-based aid.) But you can check with the financial aid dept. if you are probably going to Temple. I would fill out the FAFSA as soon as possible. As far as I know there's not much beyond that. I never do the parental part because I don't think I would qualify. Unfortunately that department can be a little gruff and short with answering questions. I will write an E-mail with 5 questions and then get a response of "Yes."

just the fafsa and your parents/your tax returns. i called the office and asked the lady who picked up and she said that's all they need.

i don't know who answers the emails, but the lady who picked up was really nice and i was pleasantly surprised.

so is anyone going to the second look day?

i'll be at the second look day. anyone else?

You might also consider West Philly (near Penn's campus). Plenty of reasonable options with good access to public transportation (and the parking situation is, of course, better than Center City, should you decide to get a car).

peace84 said:
years 1 and 2 are honors/high pass/pass/fail....only a small percentage get honors or high pass....majority of students get a pass....i'm pretty sure there is a class rank....but we are not informed of it....i assume it's used later when applying for residency

The Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail system is used at least through the third year. As I recall school policy, the top ~6% get honors while the next ~12% get high pass; there may be some variation in certain courses/clerkships. Although your exact class rank is not posted/known to you (unless you get Junior AOA), it is used (in a generic form) when writing the Dean's Letter (MSPE) for residency applications. Having said that, I never felt that things became too competitive/cutthroat. Just work hard and be yourself/sincere. Hope that you all enjoy Temple and feel free to PM etc... with any questions .

8 weeks and counting... :(

shot em an email. they "hoped" to present my file friday. in case anyone else is in limbo, the adcom was tied up for a couple weeks apparently. hope i hear soon (and get in!)

yep I'll be there. Anyone going to the Phillies Game afterwards?

i won't be going to second look weekend.
too much going on at school, plus money to fly.

i'll be there at orientation though

lol

good luck to all the new incoming student. Am almost done with Temple now, just one more clinical rotation, and then graduation!!:D
Temple is great place for med school education. You can study as hard as you want, or do enough to pass, it's all up to you. Most students are very chilled and definitely like to hang out together.
I will miss Philly and temple greatey..

I just decided to come to Temple next year, so there's one more fellow student. I'm coming to the second look too, but I'm not sure about the game. Does anyone have any idea about costs of housing in the different areas (Center City, Manayunk, etc)?

Going to second look as well. But I can't go to the game. I'm gonna spend some time looking at some apartments in different areas to see what area I like the most. Does anyone know how the Far east philadelphia area is? Is that a good place to live? Most of the apartment searches I've done pointed me to that area. I need a place that my fiancee and I can bring our 2 dogs and our cat with us. I'm from OOS so I have no idea how the area is, besides what I saw during the interview.

i'm going to the second look but not the game because i have to drive back to pittsburgh that night. i haven't even thought about looking for apartments yet. will it be too late if i wait until late may?

I thought it would be late to look in May, but a family friend is a real estate agent downtown and he said not to worry about it until 60-90 days before you plan on moving in.

Hey Temple people

I interviewed at the end of Jan. and got waitlisted. I'm in at SLU but I'm starting to hope more for Temple. My understanding is that Temple is a state associated school (not really sure what that means :confused: ). Does anybody know whether after a certain time you are considered for in state tuition/