Temple Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
JEWmongous - what school do you find the best? Please tell us, and why you think so.

Nice question! I think this can be subjective for many, including myself. As an applicant, I would make sure I checked out a few schools first then choose the one that seemed like the best fit for me (and most comfortable). I feel some students go on just 1 interview, like it, then do not go anywhere else. You don't have anything to compare to and you may end up liking another school much more.

I don't think I could do well at a school that didn't "fit" me (ie I was miserable/couldn't see myself as a student there). Some peeps are sick of the cold and want beautiful warm weather year round and the beach nearby, thus choose Barry. Others want a basic science program where you are closely integrated with a medical school and choose AzPod or DMU. Others want a diverse and busy clinical experience in the biggest (and pretty awesome IMO) American city and choose NYCPM. These are just off the top of my head, but there are many other reasons for choosing pod schools of course.

Things like 1st time pass rates on the board scores, independent vs university based program, clinical rotations, facilities, location, residency placements, class size, admission standards etc can be used to characterize a school. If you look specifically at P1 board scores, then one can say AzPod and DMU are the "best." Admission standard wise, these two places are on top as well. Things like location, class size, clinical rotations can become more subjective and matter more to an individual. One person's opinion of the best school may have a small class size while another person may not care at all. One's best school may be in the midwest while another may be in the blazing desert or next to the ocean. Like I said, it seems to be all subjective. Overall, I believe all schools have their pluses and minuses.

OK, so, I am feeling CSPM is a strong fit for me. Last year I was leaning towards scholl/dmu but still greatly enjoyed my time at cspm. I thought (and still think) the programs at the 2 former schools were quite strong. I am from a major metro area on the coast and felt kind of culture shocked at dmu. Friendly people but I definitely felt out of place. The winters at both are a killer and I am looking for a change (warmer one would be nice). People may think I am dumb for turning down these particular schools, but that is my personal choice.

Anywho, back to cali, I come from a small university and love the fact CSPM is capped at 48 students. From talking to a number of current pod kids, they seem to make it seem like a family atmosphere where everyone knows each other (including faculty). SMC seems pretty diverse too - I like that. It is part of a healthcare university which is great IMO, as it allows for sharing of professors, technology, facilities, etc. Examples would include a patient simulation center (mannequins) that the pod students actually get to use. I believe only OCPM is the other pod program where the students get to rotate through this. Other pod schools have them, show them on the interview day, but don't seem to integrate them into the curriculum (not to solely diss Temple but that is true with them, at least last year). Being part of a uni. you get to meet non-podiatry people which is nice IMO. The school is not in the most amazing area (though decent part of oakland) but it seems fine overall - and I will have a car. The facilities are not like DMU, AzPod, Scholl, OCPM...but they are still good for learning. A lot of concrete but there are a good amount of open-air areas - pretty nice from what I saw. The on-campus dorms are convenient and pretty large – they might be torn down soon as the college is going through a big expansion project. However, Samuel Merritt will most likely buy out a condo/apartment nearby if that happens (which is great, nicer place to live and available to families too). I was assured by the housing people that something definitely would be available for the class of 2013.

I have been to the bay area a few times and really love it. The weather is great and I can be active outside year round. The cold and snow definitely get me down back east, and it can be rough! There's a BART station a few blocks away so students can have fun in San Fran, one of my favorite cities in the world (and I lived and traveled abroad). One can go from ocean to amazing snowboarding in a little over 3 hours drive. :thumbup: After a big exam, I am happy there is so much to do to blow off some steam and relax. Yes, it is an expensive place to live, but it’s not much different price-wise from where I'm from.

I think the early clinical experience is a plus overall. I researched this extensively to see what current students felt about it. A lot of them like it because it gives them an early exposure to patient interaction, improve bedside manner, and help them prepare for 3rd year rotations (which are tough). Not sure how other pod schools are, but CSPM kids give each other hallux blocks by the end of 1st year (Intro to Clinical Medicine Class). People from other pod schools argue that 2nd years don’t have the basic science background to do clinical work; however, the main things the CSPM 2nd years do is palliative care, assisting/observing the 3rd year students, practice charting and H & P’s, etc. I think there are seven rotations your 2nd year, and not all of them are direct patient related (homeless clinics, St. mary’s hospital, Laguna Honda hospital, highland hospital are). The other ones you are broken down into small groups as well, 4 students’ maximum– like workshops. These include the patient simulation center (mannequins), biomechanics lab/workshop, radiology A and B, etc. During 2nd year, CSPM people have 3 days a week of classes – the downside is like two of the days are packed with a lot of lecture hours. Monday and Friday are clinical days – some clinics may only be half day while you may be off on certain months too, allowing for 4 days of class off in a row. This most likely makes it a little easier with the heavy credit load and lecture time. I am very positive you can have the summer off after 1st year depending on how you schedule your rotations.

3rd and 4th year seem quite strong. 3rd year you have 1 day of lecture with 4 full days of clinicals. A number of diverse rotations in the Bay Area (seem to be big in wound care/biomechanics) along with a core 4th year (you have the choice of 5 or 6 affiliated medical centers around the US). A lot of students stay in the bay area but you can go to any of the core sites. They give you 4 externships (a bit low IMO) along with 3 open rotation months in medical specialties (choice of ortho surgery, trauma, vascular, derm, etc). I have a buddy doing his 4th year core in Tacoma and said it has a very strong surgical focus – he is ridiculously busy overall but loves the experience.

The new dean at CSPM is from Scholl and seems very foward thinking. Wants to review the curriculum to see what things can be revised/added/removed. Also focus on creating new affiliations with medical centers for 3rd/4th year. Great guy and more than willing to speak to pre-pods interested in CSPM or podiatry in general. Very impressed.

So yea, sorry this is mad long and took a while to post. Definitely did a lot of research on all the pod schools (minus western) – overall feeling this may be the school for me. People may agree or disagree on certain things, but again, this is just my overall opinion of the education at CSPM.

If anyone has specific questions about my thoughts/interview day/etc, send me a PM!

Here is my interview feedback: http://more.studentdoctor.net/viewinterview.php?interview=26038

Just got my acceptance letter today. See you all in the fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey does anyone know if temple takes the DATS?? Also do you know if they just look at the science part?

Hey does anyone know if temple takes the DATS?? Also do you know if they just look at the science part?

Temples, NYCPM, and Barry still take the DAT (3/9 schools). Not sure if Temple or Barry consider the PAT or not. I know that NYCPM does not look at the PAT section though.

The Dental Admission Test without the PAT = quite easy

What do you think of "best school" idea good sir?

P.S. Congrats on Temple

Very nice thoughts. It seems that you've done your homework and it's the right school for you. I'm sold on OCPM.

Very nice thoughts. It seems that you've done your homework and it's the right school for you. I'm sold on OCPM.

I thought Temple was your babycakes! Just curious, could you explain how you chose OCPM over Temple??? I have not heard such amazing things about OCPM clinics, but understand the main clinic at temple is very busy and a lot of path.

Let me know what ya think. Thanks man.

I thought Temple was your babycakes! Just curious, could you explain how you chose OCPM over Temple??? I have not heard such amazing things about OCPM clinics, but understand the main clinic at temple is very busy and a lot of path.

Let me know what ya think. Thanks man.

well here's my $0.02

personally I think TUSPM has an outstanding program. not discrediting it at all. my father graduated from TUSPM in 1986, so at first I felt obligated. Don't get me wrong, I felt their clinic and overall student diversity was well above average. On the other hand, I felt as if David Martin was "selling me a used car". 20 years ago, TUSPM was undoubtedly the academic mecca of podiatric medicine. Since then, I feel they have fallen behind, both on their facilities and technology. Their proposed revamp could possibly mean moving to Northern-Philly, something I wouldnt be a huge fan of.

OCPM has a brand-new, state-of-the-art facility located in a quiet area (just my style i guess). Their technology-facilitated style of teaching really intrigued me. Also, Vince is a really nice guy with big plans for the college over the next 5 years. I also liked the fact that OCPM is an independant college, not affiliated with any major universities. Although I know affiliation has its advantages, remaining a seperate entity enables more focus on podiatry.

Let me know what you think.

well here's my $0.02

personally I think TUSPM has an outstanding program. not discrediting it at all. my father graduated from TUSPM in 1986, so at first I felt obligated. Don't get me wrong, I felt their clinic and overall student diversity was well above average. On the other hand, I felt as if David Martin was "selling me a used car". 20 years ago, TUSPM was undoubtedly the academic mecca of podiatric medicine. Since then, I feel they have fallen behind, both on their facilities and technology. Their proposed revamp could possibly mean moving to Northern-Philly, something I wouldnt be a huge fan of.

OCPM has a brand-new, state-of-the-art facility located in a quiet area (just my style i guess). Their technology-facilitated style of teaching really intrigued me. Also, Vince is a really nice guy with big plans for the college over the next 5 years. I also liked the fact that OCPM is an independant college, not affiliated with any major universities. Although I know affiliation has its advantages, remaining a seperate entity enables more focus on podiatry.

Let me know what you think.

Hey, thanks for the response. I appreciate it! About TUSPM, I felt the same thing (used car) and have said it before on these forums. Most people seem to say that you need to look past the interview day. However, one of my feelings is that the interview is not ONLY for you impressing them, but for the school to be positive/impress you as well. Overall, I didn't get that good of vibe from Temple. Just heard a lot of "We're the best because..." from you know who. Temple Medical School will be getting a new $150 million dollar building that should be completed May 2009. Center City location is much better but facility wise, it will be different worlds. Not sure if TUSPM will move up there or not, but I heard a variety of rumors. If they did, I would imagine the center city clinic to remain active.

I did an internship at OCPM when they were in the old facilities and had a really good experience. I will be honest, the place was a dump and not located in a good area. However, the new facilities are great and up there with DMU/Azpod/Scholl. They even have a patient sim center (mannequins) which is brand new and awesome. I believe only CSPM and OCPM have students rotating through these. The area seems quite nice (suburbia) and is like 15-20 minutes from downtown Cleveland. The cost of living is amazing too, get a lot of good discounts being a OCPM student. They are expanding the campus even more, constructing a new building that supposedly will be completed by this summer. I'm not sure if you ever saw the old facility, but this place is like a different world.

My interview day was overall positive but the tour guides bashed other schools (a turnoff). Other than that I was quite happy.

Although, don't like the huge class size and not so fond of the school being independent. Also, heard some mixed info on the school clinics and outside rotations. I have some buddies there in 3rd year, they like it overall (especially with the move), but complain a little about clinics being slow. Easy fix, reduce the class size = more patients to go around.

Curious of your take on all this. Take care!

Hey, thanks for the response. I appreciate it! About TUSPM, I felt the same thing (used car) and have said it before on these forums. Most people seem to say that you need to look past the interview day. However, one of my feelings is that the interview is not ONLY for you impressing them, but for the school to be positive/impress you as well. Overall, I didn't get that good of vibe from Temple. Just heard a lot of "We're the best because..." from you know who. Temple Medical School will be getting a new $150 million dollar building that should be completed May 2009. Center City location is much better but facility wise, it will be different worlds. Not sure if TUSPM will move up there or not, but I heard a variety of rumors. If they did, I would imagine the center city clinic to remain active.

I did an internship at OCPM when they were in the old facilities and had a really good experience. I will be honest, the place was a dump and not located in a good area. However, the new facilities are great and up there with DMU/Azpod/Scholl. They even have a patient sim center (mannequins) which is brand new and awesome. I believe only CSPM and OCPM have students rotating through these. The area seems quite nice (suburbia) and is like 15-20 minutes from downtown Cleveland. The cost of living is amazing too, get a lot of good discounts being a OCPM student. They are expanding the campus even more, constructing a new building that supposedly will be completed by this summer. I'm not sure if you ever saw the old facility, but this place is like a different world.

My interview day was overall positive but the tour guides bashed other schools (a turnoff). Other than that I was quite happy.

Although, don't like the huge class size and not so fond of the school being independent. Also, heard some mixed info on the school clinics and outside rotations. I have some buddies there in 3rd year, they like it overall (especially with the move), but complain a little about clinics being slow. Easy fix, reduce the class size = more patients to go around.

Curious of your take on all this. Take care!

PM me if you have AIM. We'll talk more.

I interviewed Friday, October 17th

Got accepted Friday, October 24th

Glad to say I will be a member of 2013

-Rikhil

Members don't see this ad :)
it came down between temple and scholl for me, and even though scholl offered me slightly more $, living out in north chicago wasn't as appealing as downtown philly. i went to a restaurant 4 miles away from campus and our waitress (who had lived in waukegan her whole life) had never even heard of rosalind franklin university (scholl's parent university)... really odd. it's a good school though, they just dont seem to have very good PR with the locals. so tuspm c/o 2013 it is!

Don't listen to jewmongous....every time Temple is talked about on here he seems to have a new negative comment to say about it. I currently attend Temple and feel that it is a great program with a great clinic that will allow you to see pathologies that you would only read about in textbooks at the other schools.

Jewmongous is currently on his second round of interviews so I suppose he would have some good advice on what color of suit to wear or which hotel to stay in...but when it comes to actual advice about the schools you should probably listen to the students that actually attend them.

LMAO! Get Jew, that hater!:laugh:

Just got accepted a few weeks ago. See you guys in August next year!:thumbup:

Way to bring up old stuff dingleberry. Sorry, I got tired of hearing "We are the best school" during my interview day. I guess 7 times is the charm.

You get what you deserve my friend. When you constantly talk negative to everyone about everything, don't be surprised when negativity comes back at you. "Dinglebery" I bet you are such a a little dork. Jew, how many wedgies did you get each day in high shcool?

Still LMAO:laugh:

You get what you deserve my friend. When you constantly talk negative to everyone about everything, don't be surprised when negativity comes back at you. "Dinglebery" I bet you are such a a little dork. Jew, how many wedgies did you get each day in high shcool?

Still LMAO:laugh:

Actually I didn't get any wedgies in high school, as I preferred swirlies over them.

Q. Do you know why the navy sows the name tag over the back pocket on their fatigues?
A. So their buddy will recognize them.

Q. Do you know why the navy uses powered soap in the shower?
A. Because it takes longer to pick up.

The navy must have treated you well sister!

actually i didn't get any wedgies in high school, as i preferred swirlies over them.

Q. Do you know why the navy sows the name tag over the back pocket on their fatigues?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Brush it off Navytechguy lol. Just remind Jew hes gonna be compadres with thetachi boy from az over at cspm for the next few years! My heart goes out to the rest of cspm2013 as well, poor souls.

Brush it off Navytechguy lol. Just remind Jew hes gonna be compadres with thetachi boy from az over at cspm for the next few years! My heart goes out to the rest of cspm2013 as well, poor souls.

LOL, thanks for reminding me about that :D I'm not sure if I stand 4 years of seeing hair helmet frat boy cruising around lake merritt on a scooter :laugh:

Actually I didn't get any wedgies in high school, as I preferred swirlies over them.

Come on Jew...

Is that the best come back you have. Some lame gay navy jokes. Seriously brother, the only reason I mess with you is because you come off arrogant. I'm pretty sure you are not nearly as tuff in person as you talk behind your computer screen. From now on, I'll call you "cyber-thug or better yet, the microsoft bully!" This was fun and I wish you luck in pod school, which ever one you finally agree to go too. Peace!

Anyone who's interested in joining a TUSPM Class of 2013 Facebook group search for it and join! Or just add me as a friend and find it on my profile (I'm Dina and I'm on the West Chester '09 network :))

facebook group is three members strong woo

Hi everyone.. just wanted to check in and see if we had any new additions to our accepted class :)

Hey guys,

I am going to submit my application today. Do you think it's too late. I hope i can see you all in the fall. Any words of advise

Hey guys,

I am going to submit my application today. Do you think it's too late. I hope i can see you all in the fall. Any words of advise

Make sure to spell check before you turn in your app.

real funny, seriously any words of advice??