1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Temple Clinical Sites

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by C.P. Jones, Jul 27, 2006.

1. C.P. Jones

C.P. Jones Catface Majigger
    7+ Year Member

On the Temple 2ndary, they list 4 clinical sites for 3rd and 4th year rotations, and ask that I indicate if I have interest in any of them.

Does anyone have any info that I will not get from the links provided to the clinical site webpages....e.g., maybe one of these places is in a really bad area, maybe housing will be difficult to get, maybe another is close to the campus (i don't know where these towns are...i will look them up now anyway)..........you know, things that are important to consider, but I would never find on their webpage, all of which will probably tell me how great each one is. Especially if someone actually has experienced being in any of these....or actually done work here, that would be very helpful!

The choices are:

Crozer Chester Medical Center in Chester
    Geisinger Health System in Danville
    St. Luke’s Hospital in Bethlehem
    Western Pennsylvania Hospital in Pittsburgh

For some reason, St. Luke's sounds famous to me.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. C.P. Jones

7+ Year Member

also, do i even have to pick one? no choice will lock me in, just seems pointless when i know nothing about any of the programs. looking at the websites, there is little info about the rotations themselves...st. luke's had the most info, and all it did was list electives and mention how housing works if you get it

i guess looking at the locations, i would like any except for the one in pittsburgh, i would prefer to stay closer to the shore, but is this something i should even bother to mention? they say if you express interest in one, to explain why in the "why temple" essay......so i can say any except pittsburgh due to proximity to my family.....just a though.....i think it would be best to leave it all blank

4. MiesVanDerMom

MiesVanDerMom D.o. or Die
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    a lot of people on SDN didn't pick one. you dont have to. I live in pittsburgh so i chose it. i can give you tons of info on western penn, but you already said you're not into it. If i were you, i would just leave it blank. it's perfectly acceptable. :thumbup:

5. C.P. Jones

7+ Year Member

i will leave it blank then. thanks for the feedback! if you want, you can feel free to talk up Western Penn and I will consider your info! In a way, I don't want to rule it out since I doubt I will have time to "visit" my family in CT unless it's a holiday, in which case....what's a few hours extra of driving :rolleyes: at the moment, i'll keep Western Penn up there as a choice with the others :p

6. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom
    Removed Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Bethleham just got voted one of the top 2 or 3 places in the country to live
    its probably pricey and very safe (no fun for ER)

chester, PA, on the other hand, will be oodles and oodles of fun lol
    not to mention theyre doing massive construction to double the size of their ER...
    ..yeah theyre quite busy, its a rough area lol

chesters school system got ranked 501 out of 502 schools, and inside they have signs hanging up explaining the punishment for various offenses

"Threatening a teacher's life - 1 day suspension, second offense - 2 days suspension and parents notified"

7. MiesVanDerMom

MiesVanDerMom D.o. or Die
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    western penn: is straddled between two neighborhoods. one is a good source of drug overdose cases and the other is really nice and has bomb apartments. (ooh, do people still say "bomb"? I'm old...). It is about a ten minute drive from Oakland where all the colleges are in Pittsburgh. It's a really nice hospital and my number one reason for applying to Temple. I've had a couple family members treated there and we were always really impressed. Uh, if you have kids, schools in pittsburgh are fine if you go for magnet schools. cost of living is low, public transportation is good, the dating scene is good if you're a guy and bad if you're a gal. Real estate here is insanely inexpensive. Hmm... west penn has a good burn center and recently updated their ER. They also have a lot in the way of cardiology. Overall, I'd say I only have positive things to say about it.

8. C.P. Jones

7+ Year Member

Thanks for all the info taylor and MiesVanDerMom! Yea, Chester is sounding great :laugh: I'm actually surprised to hear that Bethlehem is pricey and that Pitt is inexpensive, I would have guessed the opposite w/ no info except that I have never heard of Bethlehem and know that Pitt is a city :rolleyes:

One more question though....
    what is this supposed to mean! :) I am a guy, so sounds good.....but why is it bad for girls? First, if i go there, it will clearly become awesome for all girls, and I'm sure every girl at Temple will make West Penn their first choice :rolleyes: are you just saying lots of gals and not many guys? i'm down with that!

So I just noticed this brand new building that Temple is constructing......it'll open in 2009....seriously, why does every school I go to build awesome things AFTER I go there? My high school is now building a great track and football field to host state tourneys...UConn built a brand new science building that opened the year after I left, and this building will open the year after I finish classes if i go there!!!!!!!!! WHY!!!!!! :mad:

9. Mutt

Mutt SDN Donor
    7+ Year Member

Can you live in Bethlehem and go to Temple or is that too much of a drive?

10. swim2md

swim2md Ni.
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Bethlehem is not very pricey or particularly safe. I assume it is a good place to live these days because the area is up and coming as a major hub. Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton are the main areas that contribute. Also, St. Luke's is a major trauma center, so ER should be hopping. As per safety, the are good and bad areas, just like with most places. North Bethlehem has some very nice places, but South Bethlehem has some major ghettos. It's also a huge college party area.... Lehigh, Lafayette, Moravian, Muhlenberg, LCCC, DeSales, etc, all within a few miles of eachother.