Temple dental school or NYU dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

faith101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to finalize my decision soon so any input will be greatly appreciated!! I know similar threads exist but they don't offer the info I'm looking for and mainly talk about cost and location which are not major factors in my decision. Also, it's mostly predents replying, and I would like to hear from current dental students and current dentists. If you're a student there or know others who went to school there or if you're a dentist and can share some information, that'll be great! They're both expesive with Temple being a little less (I will be paying out of state in either school), so please there's no reason to mention costs...I know about it very well! Location is not a big factor in the decision, so please don't discuss that either. I would like to get input regarding the quality of education at both schools, strength of the programs and curriculum, overall experience, rankings (I know that no 'official/real' rankings exist for dental schools but some schools are typically more highly regarded than others). I'm interested in specializing at some point down the road, maybe not right out of school, but I want to keep my options open. If you can please share real/tangible information about each school, its curriculum, its opportunities, etc. Thank you!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have to finalize my decision in just a few days so any input will be greatly appreciated!! I know similar threads exist but they don't offer the info I'm looking for and mainly talk about cost and location which are not major factors in my decision. Also, it's mostly predents replying, and I would like to hear from current dental students and current dentists. If you're a student there or know others who went to school there or if you're a dentist and can share some information, that'll be great! They're both expesive with Temple being a little less (I will be paying out of state in either school), so please there's no reason to mention costs...I know about it very well! Location is not a big factor in the decision, so please don't discuss that either. I would like to get input regarding the quality of education at both schools, strength of the programs and curriculum, overall experience, rankings (I know that no 'official/real' rankings exist for dental schools but some schools are typically more highly regarded than others). I'm interested in specializing at some point down the road, maybe not right out of school, but I want to keep my options open. If you can please share real/tangent information about each school, its curriculum, its opportunities, etc. Thank you!! :)
Hmmm...
You're lucky not having to worry about cost/location.

OK back to your original question.

I am from NYU so I must be baised.

I heard good things about Temple regarding their clinical experience but I do not have first hand experience so I will just leave it at that.

As for NYU... well guess what? It is a very large school with tons of resources regarding top notch clinical/research opportunities. It is basically what you make of it. I personally had excellent experience with the school. I felt like I was very well prepared clinically coming out. There are many many graduates that you can make connections all over the country if you like. In our class many people specialized as well in top specialties like Ortho and OMS including myself.
Good luck.

Well that summed it up

;-)

Posted using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
nyu has the largest patient pool in the country. so clinically, nyu prob has the upperhand. clinically speaking, we're pretty progressive..we switched over from amalgams for the most part (which is a topic of controversy), but if you do your HW you'll see it makes sense.

our board pass rates have been 98-100% consistently throughout the years, most recently 100% (c/o 2015). we get more $$ for research, so if that's your thing, then it may be beneficial for you.

you have to be self motivated if you come here. nothing will be handed to you, which is probably what you've heard already. attendance isn't mandatory at lectures or anything like that, so if you feel that you can get by, by doing your own thing..then come here. that was a big thing for me, personally.

and yes, cost of living sucks here, can't really argue that one.

if $$ isn't an option, come to NYU. but in all honesty, you can't go wrong with either school.

When I said I don't want to hear about cost I'm not saying its not important. Of course it is, but these are the only two schools I got into and both are very expensive. I said don't talk about cost bc i wanted to get answers on quality of curriculum and education. All other threads talk about cost and location and so I didn't want to get repeats of other threads. Not much has been said about education in those threads. Regardless of which one I will go to I will be commuting, so there won't be added living costs. So please don't call me stupid and please refrain from using an offensive tone. Thank you.

When I said I don't want to hear about cost I'm not saying its not important. Of course it is, but these are the only two schools I got into and both are very expensive. I said don't talk about cost bc i wanted to get answers on quality of curriculum and education. All other threads talk about cost and location and so I didn't want to get repeats of other threads. Not much has been said about education in those threads. Regardless of which one I will go to I will be commuting, so there won't be added living costs. So please don't call me stupid and please refrain from using an offensive tone. Thank you.
Quality of curriculum should only be a deciding factor if one of the schools suck. In this case they are both great clinical schools. In this situation the question is do you want to live in NYC where it's expensive as balls or go to Temple where it's right in the ghetto where cost of living is cheaper and you might get shot and mugged for drug money. NYU also has a large class like 360 or something (I dont like that). Tuition and living is estimated to be 105k a year at NYU vs 80k for temple (i believe not 100% on this one) so you are looking at a 100k difference in the end. with this in mind I would choose Temple.

Reactions: 1 user
nyu has the largest patient pool in the country. so clinically, nyu prob has the upperhand. clinically speaking, we're pretty progressive..we switched over from amalgams for the most part (which is a topic of controversy), but if you do your HW you'll see it makes sense.

NYU is progressive clinically because it's phasing out amalgam? I wouldn't consider that a good thing. Amalgam still has a place as a modern dental material, especially in the population that is seeking care at dental schools by dental students… (ADA agrees). Who gives a crap about how "progressive" a school's clinics are, what should matter is evidence-based dentistry.

Reactions: 5 users
Amalgam is a great material for posterior restorations. Composites are coming close to amalgam's strength but it's still not as strong. Amalgam is also a cheaper alternative to composites for patients. ADA stance is in support of amalgam use. You are exposed to mercury but to negligible insignificant amounts. The available renal, CNS, and pediatric studies, although weak, indicate that the best current evidence permises amalgam use.

Last edited:
Amalgam is a great material for posterior restorations. Composites are coming close to amalgam's strength but it's still not as strong. Amalgam is also a cheaper alternative to composites for patients. ADA stance is in support of amalgam use. You are exposed to mercury but to negligible insignificant amounts. The available renal, CNS, and pediatric studies, although weak, indicate that the best current evidence permises amalgam use.

Amalgams are also more forgiving with field isolation than composites, which can be super helpful in certain areas/patients. Recurrent caries is more common with composite than amalgam as well. I'm just trying to make the point that both materials have a legitimate place in dentistry today, and neither should be phased out at the moment.

Sorry to derail thread. OP I don't know much about either schools, but I do know a lot about loans. I would go with the cheaper school after you calculate total COA. Both schools seem to produce competent dentists.

Last edited:
If you want to be the best/most experienced at the end go to NYU.

NYU is a meatgrinder / sink or swim mentality and they do not give one **** about the students. Your time there will be agonizing and you will curse the school more and more as you progress through the years. NYU places a massive amount of stress on the student clinically and their one year clinical requirements are similar to the two year requirements at other school. So over the span of two years you will complete the equivalent of 3 to 4 years of procedures at other schools. The school only cares about money and results and does not care how you get there. The class size is excessive and the faculty to student ratio can be very poor on some days. To survive you will be forced to learn, be independent, and be fast.

Source: Former NYU Student.

Reactions: 2 users
the whole amalgam deal was mainly from an environmental standpoint. i completely agree, amalgam is a great material that shouldn't be phased out. but for us it isn't completely phased out. we still use it in the clinics, but the 'material of choice' so to speak for us is composite. amalgam is more of a last resort sort of thing.

but, to chime in on what blatimir said...yeah there is a lot of stress here, and while i hate it now, i know i'll be clinically competent at the end of it all. fortunately, they changed quite a bit for my class, and they're going to continue to change a lot of the curriculum. but as i said before in some other post, nothing will be handed to you here. you have to actively go out of your way to get help. although for some courses (depending on the professor), if you're not doing so well they will make sure that you get the help you need. Apparently this is a new-ish thing they're doing. Soooo who really knows what's going on. I think with my class, being that it's 360 from the start, they really wanted to change quite a bit around.

at the end of the day OP, if money really isn't an issue then you really can't go wrong with either school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Everywhere I read temple is top notch in clinicals. But what about it's didactics? Can someone chime in on that?

When it comes to rankings does one school have an edge over the other? Is one more highly regarded or more prestigious than the other or both are about the same?

@faith101 no one cares about prestige. private practice is where you need to shine. someone who went to a good dental school can still be a crappy dentist if they don't have the chops. just recently a dentist who graduated from SUNY buffalo got into a lot of trouble bc he made a bad clinical judgment which cost the life of one of his patients. the decision was his own fault. SUNY buffalo is still a great school which happened to produce a crappy dentist...doesn't mean that the school is bad.

where do you feel comfortable attending?

Last edited:
Can current or past dental students chime in on NYU's and Temple's didactic curriculums and their positives and negatives? One temple student told me she's happy she didn't choose nyu because of what they go through? But didn't elaborate. Can someone please share what students go through at each school? I know dental school is difficult either way, but I got the message that nyu is more tough overall.