Temple DMD MBA program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LetMeIn

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone attending Temple this fall considering the MBA program? Im still considering whether I want to apply for it. I hear that one can acquire both in the same 4yrs... but being a 12month program... how on earth do you squeeze extra course in? I dont want to burn myself out by taking way too many courses in a short time, Ive seen it happen to friends during Undergrad and its not a pretty sight. If I extend it to a 5yr program, it cost me extra tutition correct?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, the combined DMD/MBA can be obtained in four years when you do your clinical requirements during the day and are a part time student in the Fox Business School during the night. This would be done your 3rd and 4th year at Temple.

I talked to a student at Temple and he told me not to do this program, since he said that Temple's MBA is worth squat in the business world.

That was my main reasons I was interested in Temple since they were so open about that program and made it seem anyone could get in. That is the case, since I went to the MBA information session while in Philly and the GMAT scores are not that demanding.

Many schools have this combined option, all you have to do is ask.

DesiDentist

I dont want to burn myself out by taking way too many courses in a short time
First off, you gotta change your screen name to something that's more updated. Be proud of your major achievement :) As for the MBA, we, my friend, are on the same boat. I am also worried about the burn out factor. I've spoken to one student who's currently in the program and he confirmed that it WILL take up most of your time and energy. Most dental students will end the day midafternoon/early evening but MBA students gotta attend night classes three days out of the week. He said weekends are spent catching up and doing homework. He also warned me not to expect a vivacious social life. I don't know if he is an exception but I bet my money that most MBA students are in the same shoes as him.
As for the degree itself, I've heard that if you are just planning on going into private practice, which I am, than there are alot of extra courses that are going to be a waste of your time. If you simply take a few basic accounting, small business managing, financing, type courses, you'll be more than prepped. Although I got all this info from several sources, it is hearsay so take it with a grain of salt.
As for me, I plan on taking the GMAT's this summer :( in case I decide to enroll in the dual program. I will wait and see how well I am able to handle the first year of dental school (a major feat in itself!) before I decide to put more food on the plate. Otherwise, I'll probably just take basic business courses during the summer time. Also, if you want to speak with the student already in the MBA program, look on the sheet that Mark gave us with all the current students names and look for the guy with DMD/MBA under his specialty(Sorry, I'm on vacation and I don't have the sheet with me). Good luck and I'll see you soon.

Yeah i intended to change my screen name earlier... but havent figured out how to do that yet through the control panel. :confused:

My dad's an auditor, so I guess if I really need advice on anything, he's around to help me out. Taking the MBA program might not really be necessary, I can learn a few things on my own. Speaking to a few dentists I volunteer with, all of them learned the business side of their practise themselves.

Im not that keen on night courses either... Thats time I'd rather spend studying my dent material.

Thanks!