Temple / Drexel / Penn State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thingsHoped4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have specific thoughts regarding choosing between Temple, Drexel, and Penn State? I know that is a fortunate situation to be in this early, so I'm trying to make my decision in order to free up spots at the other schools. PS: I'm not a PA resident.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
How much less expensive is in-state tuition at Penn State compared to Temple/Drexel? I think cost is going to be the most important factor in your decision.
Thank you! Temple and Penn State both give an in-state tuition decrease ($42,542 IN vs. $50,667 OOS for Penn State and $44,404 IS vs. $54,216 OOS for Temple), so I will definitely consider tuition.

Can you become a PA resident after starting school and get in-state tuition?
There is a slight chance I could do that, but I'm not quite sure if I could immediately.

No, in order to be considered for Pennsylvania residency, you have to show that you moved to Pennsylvania for something other than school.

I'd go either Temple or Penn State. Both are very very different schools so it depends on what you're looking for. I was between Pitt, Penn State, and Temple when I was deciding, and while I ultimately chose Pitt, Penn State and Temple also received ample consideration. I considered Penn State as superior to Temple as my family lives near Hershey and it would have been nice to be near home, but without the location factor, Temple is probably the better school with better opportunities.

Reactions: 1 user
They're all good schools. Consider cost and location. I haven't heard too many great things about Hershey in terms of a place to live, but it is a lot safer than Philly. Drexel is in a safer area as far as Philly is concerned; you can live directly across the street from the school if you want, but there isn't a whole lot happening in East Falls. As an OOS, Drexel is probably tied with Penn and cheaper than Temple.

They're all good schools. Consider cost and location. I haven't heard too many great things about Hershey in terms of a place to live, but it is a lot safer than Philly. Drexel is in a safer area as far as Philly is concerned; you can live directly across the street from the school if you want, but there isn't a whole lot happening in East Falls. As an OOS, Drexel is probably tied with Penn and cheaper than Temple.

The Hershey/Hummelstown area is a pretty cheap place to live, but there's not much to do there besides Hershey Park. From what I've heard from my friends at PSU-Hershey, they go to Harrisburg for nightlife/outings, and it's not much of a city. But for people who don't want to live in a city, it's great. Quiet and pretty safe. The hospital is very good and they serve all of central PA, while Philly has like 5 med schools.

Does anyone have specific thoughts regarding choosing between Temple, Drexel, and Penn State? I know that is a fortunate situation to be in this early, so I'm trying to make my decision in order to free up spots at the other schools. PS: I'm not a PA resident.

I guess I am biased as I am near the Hershey/Hummelstown area. I think it is a fantastic place to be and would hands down choose it over the other schools. Not only is it an excellent school, the entire town is built around an amazing legacy - Milton Hershey. There is rich history in the area.

The area is very "homey" and people are very friendly. There are lots of things to do, if you look beyond going out and "partying". There are concerts on a regular basis at the Giant Center, there's Hersheypark, which is an almost year round operation, there are hockey games at the Giant Center, many unique restaurants exist in the Hershey/Harrisburg area, there is tubing on the susquehanna river, ice skating in the old arena, skiing/snowboarding at ski roundtop, the hotel hershey, the hershey company and new candy products being developed daily (mmm the smell of Reese's PB cups and chocolate)...must I say more?