Temple - housing info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xc1999

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that Temple hasn't released any detailed housing info yet, but I was wondering if there were any other Californians (or other out-of-state people not near the east coast) going to Temple? Are you planning to get a care, for instance? Or just depend on public transportation?

Any info would be great...thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey xc1999,

It's you know who! So I am guessing you finalized your decision to attend Temple? Let me know!;)

dentisttobe

Fellow Californian,
I'm getting a house with my girlfriend. You can buy a 3 bedroom house there for under $100K (can't even buy a shack here in SoCal!). With a 10-15% downpayment and a fixed rate mortgage under 5%, it will be about $240/ month since I'm sharing with my girlfriend. Needless to say, this will be much cheaper than paying rent for an apartment or dorm. Plus, if all goes well, I should make my money back when I end up selling the place. Don't know about the car situation yet. I returned my last car a few months ago b/c my lease was up so maybe I'll look into something used when I get up there. First things first though. BTW, you can call Temple and ask them to send last years packet to you early if you want a head start. It has a lot of info on areas to live and tons of info on apartments. What are your plans?

Members don't see this ad :)
GoLakers,

Well, actually, I'm single so I probably won't be getting a house. do you know if temple sends like a list of people needing a roommate?

I actually want to live in Center City because as far as I know, it's the only area that's close to public transportation. I REALLY don't want to get a car just cause I already have one in here......and it'll just be sort of a financial burden.

xc1999,
I remember Mark talking about compiling some list but I don't remember the exact details. I would call him. Center City is definitely a nice, hip place to live but can get very expensive. Yes, there is a direct line to the dental school but there are other areas that have public transportation. You can also consider joining a carpool w/ other classmates. I know for sure that they compile a list for that during orientation week. You can always ship your car or drive it across country during one of our breaks if you think you can handle it. Hope that helps.