• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

gqman

10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I'm having a hard time making a decision and I have to send in a deposit soon. I know, buffalo is equivalent to siberia etc etc whatever. I was just wondering what you guys thought was a better school, and which school is more laid back.

SugarNaCl

Dental Student
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Akron, OH
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
I'm having a hard time making a decision and I have to send in a deposit soon. I know, buffalo is equivalent to siberia etc etc whatever. I was just wondering what you guys thought was a better school, and which school is more laid back.

I don't know much about Temple but am from Buffalo. I think Buffalo is a better school but my guess is that Temple is more laid back.

1992Corolla

CheerioKing
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Schools being better than others is so subjective.

Take a sheet of paper for each school, draw a line down the middle of each paper and put a - in one column and a + in the other. Label one paper temple and one buffalo. Go down and list all the neg and pos of each school. Base your decision of of this list you have made.

In my personal opinion, Temple is laid back and one of the best kept dental school secrets in the country (my friend and I actually decided this today), in other words, no one really gives it enough credit.

On the flip side, I have never heard anything bad about buffalo, except for the lake effect...YUK!

good luck! I have more about temple on my website here: DMDstudent.com

About the Ads

gqman

10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
What are some aspects of temple that make it stand out from other schools, good or bad? I heard temple makes you do more of your own lab work compared to a majority of other schools, is this true?

RockstarDMD

sUcCeSs iS mY OnLY OpTioN
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 17, 2005
Accepted
Status (Visible)
I interviewed at both schools. I chose Temple hands down. It has one of the best clinical experiences available and it is also the second oldest dental school in the U.S.

Ramathorn

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2007
Status (Visible)
Getting accepted to buffalo is much more of an achievement than getting into temple, IMO. Temple will accept anybody with a pulse, as long as you apply early & kiss brian hahn's butt. I interviewed at both schools, and it's hard to put my finger on it, but I just felt buffalo was a little more professional and respectable.

flat4

Mullet Redesigner
15+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2002
Far West
www.perfect10malemodeling.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I think one serious advantage that Temple has over other schools is the fact that there is no mandatory attendence in the clinics. They pretty much push you in the clinics and tell you to get the requirements done by graduation. In some school's you get penalized for missing clinics. With our system, you can take vacation whenever you want for whatever length of time you want. Your schedule is completely up to you. I was able to do 6 weeks of externships, another 2 weeks of interviews, got in a few weeks of vacation in the last 2 years (not to mention all the Friday afternoons off to shoot a few rounds or hit up the driving range). During my interviews, I ran into students from other schools who had to limit interviews b/c they would be penalized for missing clinics (and even these interviews had to be approved by some commitee:eek:). If you have any inclination to specialize or want some freedom over your schedule, this is a serious advantage.

It IS a double edged sword however...if you are a lazy ass that can't manage your time well, you will fall behind and I see it happen every year. People missing for months at a time all the sudden start showing up before graduation in a panic.

Ramathorn

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2007
Status (Visible)
I think one serious advantage that Temple has over other schools is the fact that there is no mandatory attendence in the clinics. They pretty much push you in the clinics and tell you to get the requirements done by graduation. In some school's you get penalized for missing clinics. With our system, you can take vacation whenever you want for whatever length of time you want. Your schedule is completely up to you. I was able to do 6 weeks of externships, another 2 weeks of interviews, got in a few weeks of vacation in the last 2 years (not to mention all the Friday afternoons off to shoot a few rounds or hit up the driving range). During my interviews, I ran into students from other schools who had to limit interviews b/c they would be penalized for missing clinics (and even these interviews had to be approved by some commitee:eek:). If you have any inclination to specialize or want some freedom over your schedule, this is a serious advantage.

It IS a double edged sword however...if you are a lazy ass that can't manage your time well, you will fall behind and I see it happen every year. People missing for months at a time all the sudden start showing up before graduation in a panic.
what are the crown and bridge requirements at temple? and complete dentures?

flat4

Mullet Redesigner
15+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2002
Far West
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
but I just felt buffalo was a little more professional and respectable.
:laugh: this coming from the least professional guy on here. I guess you didn't kiss Brian's butt hard enough huh?

Crown's=15 units (at least one pontic)
Removable=11 arches (any combo of RPD/completes)
And yes we do have to do 90% of the labwork which sucks after a while

Ramathorn

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2007
Status (Visible)
:laugh: this coming from the least professional guy on here. I guess you didn't kiss Brian's butt hard enough huh?

Crown's=15 units (at least one pontic)
Removable=11 arches (any combo of RPD/completes)
And yes we do have to do 90% of the labwork which sucks after a while
Wow, only 15 units? Does that include implant crowns?

bassman65

10+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Buffalo is better, but I think I'm biased:D

And being a native Buffalonian, I take offense at my hometown being compared to Siberia! Siberia can't possibly as cold as it is here right now...hum, i don't know if that helped or hurt...:p

Seriously though, Buffalo is a great school. I had a full scholarship offer from Temple for undergrad, but I decided not to take it because I heard the school is in a rough neighborhood. I don't know where the dental school is in relation to the undergrad campus, but atleast the Buffalo dental school is in a half way safe area.

1992Corolla

CheerioKing
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

Bitter!

The other thing is if you need a new patient you can go upstairs and get as many as you want. Other schools you may be in a bind looking for that last RPD or root canal.

Like I said, diamond in the rough, but Buffalo is a good school too. Make a list.

flat4

Mullet Redesigner
15+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2002
Far West
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Implant's count but not many of our patients can afford it. 15 is minumum. People that want to get better can do as many as they want. However, we have to do all the labwork so it's extremely tedious. It's not like we take an impression and magically, a perfect crown shows up in the mail a week later for us to cement. We literally are lab technicians. I think with all the labwork, 15 is a fair number. I've done about 17 and I feel pretty comfortable doing these but I started to lose interest in the labwork after crown #5. But I guess the school has to save money somewhere.

I'm not by any stretch of the imagination saying that Temple is the perfect school. It's got plenty of issues like lot's of other schools but it has several strong points including getting you ready for private practice right out of school(if I wasn't specializing, I'd already be looking for jobs). I mean isn't that the real reason we are going to dental school? It is also surprisingly a very specialty friendly school.

About the Ads

Ramathorn

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2007
Status (Visible)
However, we have to do all the labwork so it's extremely tedious. It's not like we take an impression and magically, a perfect crown shows up in the mail a week later for us to cement. We literally are lab technicians.
That sucks too. At my school we do the crown prep, and two weeks later, bingo!, santa arrives with the crown.

gryffindor

15+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Implant's count but not many of our patients can afford it. 15 is minumum. People that want to get better can do as many as they want. However, we have to do all the labwork so it's extremely tedious. It's not like we take an impression and magically, a perfect crown shows up in the mail a week later for us to cement. We literally are lab technicians. I think with all the labwork, 15 is a fair number. I've done about 17 and I feel pretty comfortable doing these but I started to lose interest in the labwork after crown #5. But I guess the school has to save money somewhere.

If you want laid back, go to Buffalo because of what is written above. All that lab work is a drag and cuts into your laid back time. Although you have to do some labwork for you patients at Buffalo, you have to do more at Temple. If you are worried about time off for externships, you get plenty of time off during the summers to do them at Buffalo, however, attendance in clinic during the fall & spring sememsters is mandatory.

flat4

Mullet Redesigner
15+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2002
Far West
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
So, you guys don't do many implants? that sucks.
Most people I've talked to average about 3 or 4. Taking impressions isn't rocket science. You aren't in the clinics yet are you?

To the original poster, take advice here with a grain of salt. No knowing what people's experiences are (aka "Got one interview and got rejected and now I am an expert on Temple" Ramathorn). No offense to you youngins here but the best advice is from seniors that have been thru both the didactics and the clinics. It's all word of mouth until you've actually experienced it. It's a whole new ballgame once you get into the clinics. I'm a few months away from graduating Temple and have been thru the trenches and I don't regret a thing. If I could do it all over again, I would but it's not for everybody. You have to be very independent and hard working to make it here. If you want to be spoonfed, go somewhere else. I don't know much about Buffalo but I'm sure it's a great school but I'm sure it's got its share of problems as well. Ask somebody that's about to graduate from there to get the real scoop and ask a few different people. If you have any questions about Temple, feel free to PM me.
That sucks too. At my school we do the crown prep, and two weeks later, bingo!, santa arrives with the crown.

Okay, okay. You win big man. You want a cookie? Make sure you wash your hands before you eat your cookie:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=370206
and then there's this gem:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=359932
Like I said, take your advice with a grain of salt.

I'mFillingFine

Pulptastic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2005
Shuffled off....
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
the only current student from Buffalo that I've seen on SDN is this guy, I'MFILLINGFINE:
[/url]

and while I'm not a current student, i do work at the dental school and I have several friends that are 2nd and 4th year students there now so maybe I could help too.

this girl, actually :p :p

I did not apply to Temple, so I unfortunately cannot compare it to Buffalo.

However, the OP asked specifically about being laid back...

I'd say that the administration is very laid back. They know everyone's name, offer support whenever you need it, have a counselor just for dental students, and are always asking you to get involved in stuff and handing out freebies. (I sell mine on eBay for quick cash :D)

Academically, I hope no dental school is really that laid back....I mean, no one tries to kill or overstress you here. Students have control over their exams, so if we feel there are too many in a week, we just reschedule. We can usually talk profs or the administration into something we want. However, you'll be taking 9 classes your first semester and 11 your second, so there's certainly a HUGE amount of effort required.

I'd say the students themselves here are less laid back than I would have liked...I was kinda hoping I'd find the same sort of people (or at least variety of people) I met in undergrad, but as I've said in other posts, people seem very formal, upright, and will NEVER go out and have fun. Some go out and drink beer and watch games, but it's very hard to find people to just go out for girly martinis or go to the theatre or even out to the movies!! Most of my class is married and a lot of the nicer people are just very low-risk and study all the time. So you may have to go elsewhere to find cool people, which I did, so they are out there :thumbup: :thumbup:

However, it's the opposite here of the horror stories going around about other schools....there aren't too many politics or mind games, I haven't met a lot of burnt out or passive aggressive profs (sure, there are some, but that's anywhere), they force you to be independent and won't wipe your a$$es, but no one is mean just to be mean. I definitely only feel pressured by what I pressure myself to do, and everyone sort of lets you alone.

So not sure if that answers your questions...which aspects of being low-maintenence were you concerned about?

Lesley

10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

Everything, very, very true. If you are self motivated, Temple is a very good school to attend. In a lot of ways it's like being your own boss. They give you the requirements, and it's up to you to get them done. I liked this approach. I was able to get all my clinical requirements completed by early March of my senior year and had plenty of time to get ready and practice for the NERBS. After you get all your clinic requirements cleared, you can give your patients to other students to help fulfill their missing requirements. I think Temple is a very agreeable dental school, as far as dental schools go, not always a pleasure, but they do try to make it as palatable as possible. If you need help, the professors are there to help, but you have to get the ball rolling. Just like real life, you will not be spoon fed, but, all in all, Temple has it's act together.:thumbup:

goosestuff

10-4, Chicken Feed, 10-4
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2006
Dr. Phil House
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student

superchris147

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2005
Status (Visible)
the only current student from Buffalo that I've seen on SDN is this guy, I'MFILLINGFINE:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/member.php?find=lastposter&t=349679

and while I'm not a current student, i do work at the dental school and I have several friends that are 2nd and 4th year students there now so maybe I could help too.

i'm a current student at buffalo as well but i don't come on here that much (usually i only come on when i should be studing for a test)

a lot of you guys are comparing apples to oranges. try and compare the stuff that's actually going to matter to you as a student not as a predent (like would you rather live in a big city like philly which is cool for the city people, or would you rather live in a smaller city like buffalo where its a little easier to live outside of buffalo and commute or the price of both schools).

you can't really define a school by saying its laid back. courses are run by individual faculty that have different personalities. we have some laid back teachers and we have some very uptight teachers. we have some teachers who are very laid back and the moment you complain they are very uptight. we have some faculty that will interupt you in the middle of a procedure and make you re-dam, etc

ya its pretty cold in buffalo and i'm sick of winter (especially since i'm from souther california) but when i interviewed at temple it was pretty damn cold there too. i know its warmer than buffalo probably, but i wouldn't describe it as a tropical paradise

bottom line is i think most people are pretty happy here in buffalo. all this talk about implants and crown requirements is junk in my opinion. temple has a good clinical reputation (at least from what i've heard) and so does buffalo. nickel and diming about requirements won't do anything for you.

however, i'm pretty sick of labwork already and i can't imagine having to make every crown, ditching my dies pisses me off enough as it is. i don't know if temple is the best kept secret in the country simply because if i remember its somewhat expensive, but then again i don't attend school there and can't make any grand, sweeping statements about it

if you have a question about buffalo, pm me and i'll answer it to the best of my ability

shamrock2006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2006
Nowhere and Everywhere
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I find it a little strange that a school would tell you exactly how many of each type of procedure you need to do. Esp. since we are nowhere near the clinics yet, hell we're not even in school right now. I discussed this in one of my interviews and the guy told me he never actually answers that question b/c it changes from year to year...the needs of the patients change all the time. Given that dentistry changes so rapidly you might have to do a ton more of procedure X this year than the class last year had to. It all just depends. I'm not saying a school that gives you the specific #'s is shady or anythign like that, I'm just saying I can see where this guy was defintely coming from when he said he doesnt feel comfortable trying to answer that question.

crestwhite

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I've read through many posts that you are responsible for your patient's billing at temple... you might even have to fork money out of your own pocket if they fail to pay .. :scared:

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.