1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Temple or the Chicago Medical School

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DrBodacious, Mar 22, 2004.

1. DrBodacious

10+ Year Member

OK wtf, my post didn't get thru the first time, I'll re-write it...

Similar, but so very different than the "Harvard vs. Hopkins" thread.

here is what I'm considering:

I know Temple has great clinical exposure, but CMS has decent hospitals to rotate thru in Chi Town. I'm interested in surgery btw.

Tuition:
    Temple: $30,020 (in state)
    CMS: $36,740

Grading:
    Temple: H/HP/P/C/F
    Finch: Numerical Grading :(

Go to school in Philly's ghetto and live in downtown Philly vs. middle of nowhere years 1 & 2 but live in Chi town yrs 3 & 4.

Teaching Facilities:
    CMS: Good, but isolated
    Temple: Not so good from what I saw, will be mega construction going on too.

Any thoughts would be very welcome!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Deuteronomy

Deuteronomy Member
    7+ Year Member

wasn't temple on the verge of losing accreditation?

I would go to Finch since they have a better rep of quality physicians.

4. DrBodacious

10+ Year Member

Also, any general opinions about Philadelphia would be helpful. I've spent a summer in Chicago, so I know it is awsome, but I haven't been in Philadelphia except for my interview at Temple-- all I saw was North Philly.

5. DrBodacious

10+ Year Member

The accredation probation was because of their sub-par teaching facilities. They are off probation now that they have a new medical school bldg. in the works. It will not be completed untill '07 though, so I wouldn't see it, and I would get to experience the jackhammers and bulldozers while I'm studying next door. The facilities at Temple are the main reason I'm considering CMS. I'm not convinced that Finch has "a better rep of quality physicians." What are you basing that statement on?

6. Deuteronomy

Deuteronomy Member
    7+ Year Member

dr B,

I'm from L.A, but I know for a fact that Wayne State and CMS have a stellar record of producing quality clinical-patient doctors.

7. uclacrewdude

uclacrewdude the uclacrewdude abides
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    actually, it was a combination of factors, including high student debt load after graduation (the class size has been cut by 20%, so more $$ is available for students) and lack of internet access (most classrooms are now wifi capable, and almost all rooms have a hard line). the teaching facilities are pretty much like undergrad, so unless you want lazboy recliners for lecture you wont notice much of a diff. it certainly doesnt have a negative impact on our education.

most of all, the kids who go to school here just plain rock, and tend to be more mellow than most medstus.

8. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I'd go to Temple. I'm sure both produce good doctors, but I think Temple's rep is much better.

9. DrBodacious

10+ Year Member

Ok, so we've got one vote that Temple's rep is better, and one vot that CMS's rep is better...

Any other opinions?

I was leaning towards Temple.

Thanks for the insight on Temple's student body UCLAcrew.

10. beponychick

beponychick SDN Angel
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi Dr,

I would go to Temple. I went to school in Philly for undergrad and I interviewed at Chicago, and the two locations are not comparable. True, Temple is not in the best of neighborhoods, but you are very very close to the city. Plus, you have a great chance to interact with a very diverse population of patients will will make you all the more a better doctor. So Temple gets my vote. Congratulations on your acceptaces!

:)

11. DrBodacious

10+ Year Member

Thank you beponychick!

I think I've confirmed Temple > CMS.
    Any more advice?

12. 2bkiddoc

2bkiddoc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey,

Definately go to Temple. The issue about probation is resolved and it was never really a huge concern of the student body to begin with - they needed a "gentle nudge" updating facilities. The city of Philadelphia is so much better than the experiences you would have your first two years at Finch. My co-worker is going to Temple in the fall. The neighborhood is no worse than Finch's, plus there are AWESOME places to live in center city philadelphia with the ability to commute (30 mins. public trans) to temple's part of town. Plus, the reputation of Temple is that it graduates damn fine clinicians, and there is adequate opportunity for medical student research as well.

I live in Philadelphia now and you will be able to keep yourself de-stressed with non-medical school things very easily with Philly. From my understanding, Finch's accessibility to the main parts of chicago are much more difficult than temple's to the rest of center city.

Go Temple...

13. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    id choose temple as well.

the new changes they have made just make it all the more receptive to go there. but id prefer to live in philly as well.

14. uclacrewdude

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    good point. i live in center city and the commute is really easy ... remarkable, considering in california funding mass transit really just means expanding the 405 to six lanes ... i save a ton on car crap, and everythings nearby.

actually, post your picture. THEN i can tell you whether or not you should come here or not.

15. TheRussian

TheRussian Life Size Mirror
    7+ Year Member

Pick temple, when I went to Finch I got the impression that most of the students were not very happy because they didn't choose to go to Finch, rather they went there because it was their only choice. In addition to that I got the impression tha the workload at Finch is much worse than at most schools.
    When I was at Temple the enviornment was a bit uncomfortable cause I felt I was going to get shot any second but at least the students seemed happy.

16. 2bkiddoc

2bkiddoc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

don't worry, you wont get shot. i live in west philly and feel that way a lot. especially when i go to the thriftway!

17. DrBodacious

10+ Year Member

LOL, why don't you post YOUR picture, then I'll decide if I want to go to school with your ugly ass! J/K

I do agree that CMS seemed to have a higher stress atmopshere and since I'm more the laid back type, I'm going with Temple.

Does anyone see any reason to send in a deposit to CMS then? Like, in case something goes terribly wrong (i.e. I flunk a class and Temple won't take me but CMS will.)

18. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i doubt cms will take you as well if you flunk a class.

19. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    good point. take your would-be-deposit money and take your girl (or boy) out to a nice night out on the town.

20. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

I'd go to Temple because of the excellent clinicals. Their hospital treats the most gunshot victims. You can't beat that. :thumbup:

21. Spitting Camel

Spitting Camel Anteater for Life!
    7+ Year Member

Picture this rolling around on the floor: :laugh:

22. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

Buy some guns and have your fellow classmates shoot each other. Then you have many gun shot victims to treat. You can't beat that either! ;)

23. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

Sure can't. Improve your clinicals and eliminate the competition. NICE. :cool:

24. uclacrewdude

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    one more thing id like to add about temple that i didnt find immediately about a lot of other schools: the student population is really socially proactive. theres a high sense of social responsibility, with lots of community service and political awareness groups readily evident on campus. its just so cool to see so many people have a sense of duty to others, like few of us take being so lucky for granted. makes me feel good ...

25. JM.

JM. The Yellow Dart
    7+ Year Member

And we did very well in the match. Good residencies, good programs.

26. DrBodacious

10+ Year Member

That's cool to hear UCLA and jmwalker. So when you say community service, would volunteering in clinics be the most common thing, or are you talking about other things like mentoring kids, fundraising etc? Do you guys typically volunteer in the Temple med area, or is there any place in particular?