Doctora Foxy

Meow
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2002
Status
Medical Student
Originally posted by Jalby
Tufts, because of the problems that Temple is having financially. Also, I think the area around tufts is nicer than temple.
Temple is having financial problems? :confused:

I'd choose Tufts cuz it has the better rep.

vinsanity, did you get in off the waitlist to any of these schools?

About the Ads

Mystique

The Procrastinator
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2001
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm not trying to give you a difficult time, but this is something you have to decide on your own. Everyone on here has diff't opinions and diff't things that they look for in a school. One would be crazy to rely solely on SDNers when making the decision of where to attend medical school. When you interviewed at both schools, which school were you more wowed by? Which one would you be happier in attending? The school that works for person A may not necessarily work for person B. Schools come in different flavors...it's up to you to try the flavors and decide which one's for you. Good luck w/ your decision. :)

otter

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2001
Visit site
Status
Tufts definitely has a much better reputation. Just look at the two schools' matchlists. In terms of location, it's tough to beat Boston. Boston's such a beautifully laid out city with lots of great places to hang out. It has a very international population of students and researchers, including a world-class medical community. In Boston, you'll almost certainly be assured of living in a cool neighborhood as long as you live in Boston, Cambridge, Brookline, Brighton or Allston. In Philly, you're more likely to go wrong than not. I've heard some people on this board raving about Philly. I've visited Philadelphia twice this year, but both times it just didn't do it for me. It's a flat city that's dominated by rundown areas in every which direction. And, although Philly does have a small Chinatown and other enclaves, Boston has a lot more diverse population with more things that cater to different ethnicities.

The students at both schools seemed very happy when I visited. The students at Temple seemed more laidback. When you compare Tufts' primary teaching hospital with Temple's, I think you'd have to definitely hand it to Temple's. Everyone raves about Temple University Hospital, while I've heard a few negative things about rotation experiences at New England Medical Center. But don't forget that there are other hospitals in Tufts network that are supposed to be very good. I think the cost factor is a big negative for Tufts. Even if you're a non-PA resident, the overall per-year cost will run you nearly $10,000 more at Tufts. That's because of Tufts' higher tuition (about $6K more than Temple's out-of-state) and Boston apartments' outrageous rent. For $800/month, you can get a nice, fully-equipped studio in Philly, whereas you'll spend $1000/month to get a mediocre place in Boston.

Jalby

I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2001
La La land, having moved on with life.
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Originally posted by vinsanity
thanks for your opinions. Dra. Foxy, I just got off the Tufts waitlist.
I love it how foxy is the only one who got thanked.

Papa Smurf

Thug 4 Life
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2002
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by Jalby

I love it how foxy is the only one who got thanked.
If you read it carefully, he said thanks for the opinions, and then he addressed foxy's question about whether or not he had gotten off the waitlists at any of the schools. BTW, thanks Jalby. ;) There, feel better?

lake show

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 7, 2001
LA
Visit site
Status
i'd say tufts has the better reputation as well as location as well. i have 2 friends who graduated from tufts and both are at ucla doing their residencies right now, so they seem to match at competitive locations. boston is also one of my favorite cities, so going to med school there would be a no-brainer for me!

About the Ads