Temple question for Dr Kermit and others

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ussdfiant

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
:clap:
I just received a letter in the mail from Temple Med that begins like this...

"After reviewing your application, the Admissions Committee is pleased to invite you to visit Temple and to meet with a member of the Committee. This meeting will give you the opportunity to find out more about Temple and to clarify portions of your application which might benefit from further discussion. It will give us a chance to learn more about you, your motivation, your approach to problems, your interpersonal skills and the like."

Then the next line says. . .

"In order to schedule an appointment for your interview, please call. . ."

I also received a letter from their RAR (Recruitment, Admissions & Retention) office which targets minority students. I am a URM.

Now for a little background: I completed an AMCAS primary back in September, and listed Temple as one of the schools to receive it, but I did not complete a secondary for them.

This may sound like a dumb question but does this letter mean that I have been granted an interview? Would I be granted an interview without returning a secondary?

Any help would be appreciated. I don't think I can wait until Monday to call their office and find out.

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, that is the interview letter. And, I received the invite before submitting my secondary, but that was back in August. I'm not sure what to tell you about calling the office now to schedule an interview b/c if you do, they may wonder why you never sent in your secondary. Wasn't the deadline for the secondary back in January? Anyway, good luck if you go on your interview and if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them!

I guess my biggest question is, could this be some sort of mistake? I have read of people on this group getting inteview invitations being emailed and then revoked, but a snail mail mistake? I guess I'm more confused than excited (ok, I'm a little excited), I've already been accepted to a great school and am totally stoked about going and this literally came out of nowhere. I plan on calling on Monday to confirm that this is for real and to get clarification. Any other opinions on what this could mean?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it was a fluke. I'm assuming Temple is interested in you for your credentials and ability to diversify the class. I see your from Philly, if you're in the area and they don't mind that you didn't submit a secondary (it's really easy), I say just go look at the school!

ussdfiant,

Sounds to me like it's an interview invitation. I recieved my interview invite before I sent in my secondary. I'd call and schedule an interview - it couldn't hurt. Maybe they'll let you submit a late secondary.

BTW- I say that you're from Hatboro. I'm from Horsham. Where did you go to High School?

I live in Hatboro now, but I was raised in Yeadon which is in Delaware County. Went to Penn Wood High School.

Dr Kermit,

I have another question for you. Last week you mentioned that you were going for a second look at Temple. Were you able to find out if the class is full and if they are just interviewing for the waitlist?

This actually happened to me. I scedualed without a problem, and I'm going next week.

I was told that the class was "close to full." Temple sent out interview invites along with secondaries in late August and began interviewing in mid-September. They made it a point to tell me that they were not that far behind due to AMCAS. From what I've heard through the second years, the in-state acceptances have all gone out and they are handing out a few out of state acceptances at this time. There will be a waitlist movement in mid-May. Good luck. What are you going to do about the secondary?

I'm going to call Temple tomorrow, let them know that I did not complete a secondary. If they say that the invite still holds I will ask them to send me a secondary, and go to the interview.

I wouldn't even mention not completing the secondary. I didn't say anything, and I had no problem getting the interview. Maybe you'll get into a better school before the interview or they ask you for the money.

Well it looks like this is the real deal. I did tell them that I hadn't completed a secondary and they are emailing me one. They said as long as it's completed before my interview then it's ok. I have to say that I am perplexed by this whole experience!

Just felt like bumping up a post from the good old days..over 7 years ago. Been through med school, residency, and had another child since then!

Yes, I am an attending. Been with SDN through post-bac, shadowing, application, acceptance, MS1-4, PGY 1-3, and now attending. Don't worry, those abbreviations will soon have meaning for you.

And here I got all excited to answer a question about Temple...then I saw the time stamp from seven years ago.

Congrats on your success; what did you choose for your specialty?