Temple U. School of Dentistry Class of 2011!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else thinking of buying a house? I'm flying out in a few weeks to check out different areas.

I thought I was going to buy a house. I own a house here in Indiana, so I know what I'm able to afford, and I was looking at houses in a similar price range in Philadelphia. I coudn't really find anything. I checked Manayunk, Roxborough, and the Art Museum. Anything in my price range was really bad, and on a bad street or area. So I'll probably just rent for a few years until my bf graduates from Opt. school and moves out here. Then maybe we can afford something decent. The possibility of getting in-state tuition sounds nice, but it's not worth it to live in an unsafe area.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought I was going to buy a house. I own a house here in Indiana, so I know what I'm able to afford, and I was looking at houses in a similar price range in Philadelphia. I coudn't really find anything. I checked Manayunk, Roxborough, and the Art Museum. Anything in my price range was really bad, and on a bad street or area. So I'll probably just rent for a few years until my bf graduates from Opt. school and moves out here. Then maybe we can afford something decent. The possibility of getting in-state tuition sounds nice, but it's not worth it to live in an unsafe area.
Yeah, I guess only compared to other large metropolitan areas is Philly cheap...

You are coming here from west coast (Cali?), right? You might be surprised how cheap (relatively speaking) houses are here.

I am from California went to school in a VERY expensive part of California, and now I am in Colorado and I am paying just about the same here, but i get more for what I pay for.

I cant wait to go somewhere where it is "cheap" from what I am use to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am officially going to Temple! Look out Philadelphia!!

For some reason I feel like I'm forgetting to do something. Do we have any deadlines for something other than getting a physical?

For some reason I feel like I'm forgetting to do something. Do we have any deadlines for something other than getting a physical?

not that i know of.... the last deadline was April 1st for the second deposit.

the fafsa deadline was march 1st.

Rockstar - did you and the misses ever look further into a house?

We have been looking for a house. We currently own... so it will be hard to rent again. However, it looks like renting may not be a bad idea.

the fafsa deadline was march 1st.

here is the reply that I got from ms. Griffin regarding the FAFSA deadline:

It is not too late for you to submit your FAFSA application. However,
you should do this ASAP. The March 1st deadline is for those who wish
to receive Temple Based Funding. Temple based funding are a small group
of grants offered to disadvantaged students. To be considered you must
provide parent's income on the FAFSA and you must do it by March 1st.
The amount received can be anywhere from $500 to a few $1,000. It is
too late for you to apply for that.

Please complete your FAFSA so that you can receive information about the
loans you will need to borrow. If you have questions, please call me at
215-707-2800 or 1-800-441-4363.
Terry

Members don't see this ad :)

When must we have our physical done by???

For those of you looking for a place to live, here's an interesting map. It shows murder locations for 2006 (through November).

http://inquirer.philly.com/graphics/murders_map/

That's creepy. Somebody got shot on the street I really liked :scared:

What's the deal with the financial aid stuff? Do most people get enough university and federal loans to cover everything, or do they have to take out private loans too? It's so confusing!

When do we find out how much we're getting for our financial aids? I filed my FAFSA back in January, and I still haven't received anything. Just wondering

When do we find out how much we're getting for our financial aids? I filed my FAFSA back in January, and I still haven't received anything. Just wondering

i was wondering the same thing.

According to financial aid office, we will be getting our budget sheets around junish/july... NE ways, is anyone out there looking for a roommate? I have my name and contact info on a list with Terry but I don't think any progress is happening with that.

According to financial aid office, we will be getting our budget sheets around junish/july... NE ways, is anyone out there looking for a roommate? I have my name and contact info on a list with Terry but I don't think any progress is happening with that.

I need to call and put my name on that list.
Anyone have the info with them, mine is in a big pile in my room and i havent had a chance to really look at it.

That's creepy. Somebody got shot on the street I really liked :scared:

What's the deal with the financial aid stuff? Do most people get enough university and federal loans to cover everything, or do they have to take out private loans too? It's so confusing!
Unfortunately, not too many Philly neighborhoods are spared when it comes to gun violence. It is all too often an occurence. We are at 105 homicides so far this year. That's about once a day!

I'm not trying to scare anyone. My point is this: be careful when picking a neighborhood. Real estate people love to sqeak by with calling a block in Art Museum "area" when it is really nicetown, etc. It's a good idea to check with an unbiased source how the block/neighborhood is. I saw on the facebook page someone referring to Graduate hospital (area) as being in/next to Rittenhouse sqaure. Not true! Rittenhouse sq is just about the most posh place to live in Philly, and is 5 blocks north of Grad hosp area. And what is considered Grad Hosp continues on south and west for many blocks, and has many varying (not so nice) blocks! Don't get me wrong, there are alot of nice houses and apts in Grad Hosp, and it is very convenient to CC. I lived there for the first 2 years I was here. Just beware.

Also, one murder on a block could have been a unique happening, ie a domestic fight, but if there are more than one, stay away.

Any questions about specific blocks, feel free to PM/ask me. If I don't know the block, someone I know does.

Also, it is an election year and there are a few very promising candidates for Mayor. I think that with a new administration there should be alot of positive changes!

thank you for that information goose!

- I was wondering if anyone is looking to apply to the MBA program that we can take in conjunction with dental school?? Do you think it would be an overload of work or is it worth the work?

Yeah, I was considering the MBA program, but I thought it might be an overload too. Do we have to decide soon, or do we apply after our first year? I don't remember getting much info about it.

we apply after our first year...but we need to take the GMATs in order to apply.

Geez, I didn't know that we had to take another test. I looked up what the GMAT tested for, and it's got writing, verbal, and quantitative sections. Do you think we have to do really good on it to get accepted to the program? I just really hate writing essays! Ugh!

Unfortunately, not too many Philly neighborhoods are spared when it comes to gun violence. It is all too often an occurence. We are at 105 homicides so far this year. That's about once a day!

I'm not trying to scare anyone. My point is this: be careful when picking a neighborhood. Real estate people love to sqeak by with calling a block in Art Museum "area" when it is really nicetown, etc. It's a good idea to check with an unbiased source how the block/neighborhood is. I saw on the facebook page someone referring to Graduate hospital (area) as being in/next to Rittenhouse sqaure. Not true! Rittenhouse sq is just about the most posh place to live in Philly, and is 5 blocks north of Grad hosp area. And what is considered Grad Hosp continues on south and west for many blocks, and has many varying (not so nice) blocks! Don't get me wrong, there are alot of nice houses and apts in Grad Hosp, and it is very convenient to CC. I lived there for the first 2 years I was here. Just beware.

Also, one murder on a block could have been a unique happening, ie a domestic fight, but if there are more than one, stay away.

Any questions about specific blocks, feel free to PM/ask me. If I don't know the block, someone I know does.

Also, it is an election year and there are a few very promising candidates for Mayor. I think that with a new administration there should be alot of positive changes!

It is time to put this killing stuff to rest and get rid of the inept people allowing it to take place:thumbup:

It is time to put this killing stuff to rest and get rid of the inept people allowing it to take place:thumbup:
Yes! No kidding! I sometimes wonder if I am on Candid Camera and waiting for someone going to jump out from behind the scenes and say, "no, no, no..we were just kidding! We don't really allow rampant corruption and criminals to run this city!"

I was living in Brooklyn when Guiliani took office and hope to see a similar change here (though, maybe w/o the police brutality).

Anyhow, this is neither here nor there: I promise to try and keep my city hall rants to myself for now on...

The killing sprees are not going to end until mayor street is out of the office. That bastard ruined this city, and his brother wants to run for the mayor. Philadelphia will be called the city of black on black crime scenes

The killing sprees are not going to end until mayor street is out of the office. That bastard ruined this city, and his brother wants to run for the mayor. Philadelphia will be called the city of black on black crime scenes

What ever happend to PHILA= LOVE and DELPHI= BROTHER!
It's a real shame... but I can't wait to start D-school either way... Homies blastin each other or huggin each other, I just wanna start drillin... and fillin... LOL:D

4 pages deep :eek:

Okays.. on to bidness. I'd like to officially nominate "Korny" as the new nickname for TUSoD.

In fact, I'll even add it to my signature.

Everytime I see Kornberg I think Kornhole.

And then I think of Beavis.

And then my thoughts just keeps spiraling down.

Homer Simpson would say "Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Corn Burger"
:D :D :D

I just got my financial aid award letter. I can't believe how much I am borrowing for the first year alone!
:wow: :barf:

I didn't get my financial award letter yet :(

I just got my financial aid award letter. I can't believe how much I am borrowing for the first year alone!

I haven't gotten mine yet... when did you submitted your FAFSA?

I haven't gotten mine yet... when did you submitted your FAFSA?
I submitted sometime in the early/middle March. But, I've als been contact with the FA office. I got my award letter via my temple.edu email. If you have a accessnet name, try to log on to http://tuportal.temple.edu and go to -->owlnet (on the left)-->click the financial aid tab--> click award letter button on left.

My Owlnet says I have no award letter... maybe in-state people get theirs first.

My Owlnet says I have no award letter... maybe in-state people get theirs first.

Nothing for me either.......submitted in Feb.....must be an instate thing.:confused:

Yeah, I just got mine also. I filled out fafsa back during the first week of January and my award was given on 4/25/07. I'm an out of state, and the amount that was awarded is not going to cover all my expenses. Does anyone know any good private loan institutions that's pretty accomodating to students?

Yeah, I just got mine also. I filled out fafsa back during the first week of January and my award was given on 4/25/07. I'm an out of state, and the amount that was awarded is not going to cover all my expenses. Does anyone know any good private loan institutions that's pretty accomodating to students?

for private loans? Or to get the rest of stafford that the school wouldn't fork out?

Private:
Bank of America Education Plus Loan
OR
Education One Loan from Chase (J.P. Morgan)

I have a private loan throught the second guys. Interest rates and everything are the same, i just like Chase better than bank of America:rolleyes:

I got full stafford so can't answer the second question.

I hope I can get the full stafford amount

What factors do they look at when giving out loan amounts? Does having your parents fill out the FAFSA help towards getting more for the Stafford loan?

single, married, past year income, kids, etc.

parents income is only for HPSP health proffesional student loans or something. If your parents make too much, no loan for you.

I still don't have an award letter either. I'm nervous about the amount I'm going to get! :scared: :scared: :scared:

Does anyone know where we can find our academic calender? I would like to know when we finish in December and start up in January so that I can buy flight tickets as soon as possible. I'm trying to figure out my budget for next year and it would be nice to buy those tickets when they are a lot cheaper right now and I still have what little money I do. :thumbup:

Also, does anyone know of some good websites to find cheap flights? Thanks:D

Hi everyone. Just wanted to congratulate you all for getting into temple. I got in but am not going there b/c it was going to be expensive for me (tuition + rent), and i'll be able to stay w/my fam in my home state. Anyway, I loved temple, it's a great school. Congrats everyone!!!