Temple U. School of Dentistry Class of 2011!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know where we can find our academic calender? I would like to know when we finish in December and start up in January so that I can buy flight tickets as soon as possible. I'm trying to figure out my budget for next year and it would be nice to buy those tickets when they are a lot cheaper right now and I still have what little money I do. :thumbup:

I logged into TUportal to find the academic calendars, but here is the link if it will work without being logged in http://www.temple.edu/registrar/acad_cals_6~7.html#fall2007 . It looks like we get a decent winter break.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if that schedule applies to the dental students because the winter break is tooooooooooooooooo long. My brother is in medical school and he only had 2 wks off for the winter break in his first year.
Anyway, I received my financial award letter today. Thank goodness. I already bought my plane ticket, and I didn't want to give up my vacation.

I logged into TUportal to find the academic calendars, but here is the link if it will work without being logged in http://www.temple.edu/registrar/acad_cals_6~7.html#fall2007 . It looks like we get a decent winter break.
No effing way dude. I wish our winter breaks were that long. I think the fall semester end dates are accurate but there's no way we started that late. More like the next day after new years. I wouldn't start planning breaks based on that calendar.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a letter from fin-aid. they want my parents info. I am 26 havent lived at home for 5 years, and been an independent living in a different state for 3 years, but hey if it helps me get more money ill take it.

Just got a letter from fin-aid. they want my parents info. I am 26 havent lived at home for 5 years, and been an independent living in a different state for 3 years, but hey if it helps me get more money ill take it.

When I called and asked why they needed my parents info, the woman on the phone told me they would still request it even if we were 55 years old, had 6 kids, and our parents were turning 90.

Oh well. I guess we just have to play the game...

When I called and asked why they needed my parents info, the woman on the phone told me they would still request it even if we were 55 years old, had 6 kids, and our parents were turning 90.

Oh well. I guess we just have to play the game...

Do you have to provide info from your wife's parents as well...
Since they are your family as well.
You know try to get everyone to pay for you educating but yourself and the school.:laugh:

I've got a rich uncle - does that mean I can't get any scholarships?

On a more serious note: I went out to Philly last week and now I'm more excited than ever to start dental school. A large portion of the city is a crap-hole, but there are some really great areas too. And the cost of houses is about half of what they are in Boulder. I stopped by the school and met some great professors and went out to lunch with one really weird student (just kidding Corolla). If only I didn't need my job to pay the bills, I'd be moving out next week.

When did everyone submit their FAFSA? I got mine done in late Feb, but I still haven't heard anything. Maybe it's that I look so poor on paper that they are trying to give me every loan/scholarship possible... I just want to know already, since some people are saying they didn't get enough!

That schedule is WRONG! You will most likely start the day or two after new years day. You will usually get out arounf DEC 15th and get 2.5-3 weeks off.

I have NEVER provided info about my parents. You only provide it if you want a HSPS (??) loan. This is the health professional loan and you only get it if your parents dont make very much money.

So if they make a lot of bling then why go through the trouble of submitting? Now if I could only convince my dad to give me a loan...:D

Are you guys sick of hearing from me yet?:smuggrin: :thumbup:

Yeah, I just got mine also. I filled out fafsa back during the first week of January and my award was given on 4/25/07. I'm an out of state, and the amount that was awarded is not going to cover all my expenses. Does anyone know any good private loan institutions that's pretty accomodating to students?

I just got my award letter and it doesnt cover everything! I am not even sure if it covers the entire cost of going to school, and definitly not going to cover any of my living expense.

I just got my award letter and it doesnt cover everything! I am not even sure if it covers the entire cost of going to school, and definitly not going to cover any of my living expense.

PChemGrad, I called the financial aid office and the lady told me that to send in your parents info to qualify for the professional student loan offered by the school. If that doesn't cover the expenses then your last resort is to take out a graduate plus loan. There's a list of lenders for the graduate plus loans on temple's financial aid web page. She told me not to sweat it because the school's budget for out state students is around $70,000. They're going to do everything in their power to get you that amount.

Financial aid info:

This applies to out of state students as I live out of state and it is based on out of state tuition. You will receive 4250/sem in Subsidized loans and 17111/sem in Unsubsidized loans. I called and asked the financial aid rep why my subsidized loans was so lo and she said that is the maximum the government allows for Temple and apparently everyone gets this amount. You can than apply for the grad plus loan, which will loan you up to your budget (which is "estimated" at $70,118 this year for Temple, so $27,396) The tuition is "estimated" at $45,663/yr plus 500 (other fees? Didn't write down) plus 1200 (books??) plus 6215 for instruments. All of these fees are split up amoung the two financial aid disbursments. The thing that I'm really freaking out about is that Temple makes you pay for your instruments in the first semester and gives you the same amount of loan money! So, simple math tells us that we will get $35059 in aid for half the year, and have to pay $29,896.50 in expenses. Does anyone else have a problem living on $860 a month for 6 months??? Is rent even that cheap in Philly? Maybe I can sell my kidney...

Financial aid info:

This applies to out of state students as I live out of state and it is based on out of state tuition. You will receive 4250/sem in Subsidized loans and 17111/sem in Unsubsidized loans. I called and asked the financial aid rep why my subsidized loans was so lo and she said that is the maximum the government allows for Temple and apparently everyone gets this amount. You can than apply for the grad plus loan, which will loan you up to your budget (which is "estimated" at $70,118 this year for Temple, so $27,396) The tuition is "estimated" at $45,663/yr plus 500 (other fees? Didn't write down) plus 1200 (books??) plus 6215 for instruments. All of these fees are split up amoung the two financial aid disbursments. The thing that I'm really freaking out about is that Temple makes you pay for your instruments in the first semester and gives you the same amount of loan money! So, simple math tells us that we will get $35059 in aid for half the year, and have to pay $29,896.50 in expenses. Does anyone else have a problem living on $860 a month for 6 months??? Is rent even that cheap in Philly? Maybe I can sell my kidney...

Hmmm... that means we would have about $1890 a month second semester. I guess we will have to budget accordingly...:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah it be nice if they would charge the instruments out the second semester so we could do that! But I guess we will get our second check 5 months into the year, so I guess everyone will really be looking forward to January!

Yeah it be nice if they would charge the instruments out the second semester so we could do that! But I guess we will get our second check 5 months into the year, so I guess everyone will really be looking forward to January!
We get a shi-load of instruments on our second day of orientation - w00t! I just got a packet of some sort that mentioned that. It's so exciting!

instrumwnts will cost you 6500 the first semester of D1. The second year they give you 3500 in more. 10K total. You usually get more money back the second semester of first year and more money the second year. Dont go out and buy that turbo audi though (unless you want) and keep a nice budget. you guys will be fine.

ARE YOU GETTING PUMPED YET???

Woohoo I'm going to get myself a BMW :D :D

How do we apply for the Grad Plus loan? Did anyone get the Health Professions loan? My award letter didn't mention it, but I was pretty sure I was eligible for it.

hey all. Just wondering about Temple's secondary app fee. I'm applying this comming cycle. I looked on the website but I couldn't find the info on when to send it or how much it is. Do you need to wait till you are contacted? Any help would be appreciated.

hey all. Just wondering about Temple's secondary app fee. I'm applying this comming cycle. I looked on the website but I couldn't find the info on when to send it or how much it is. Do you need to wait till you are contacted? Any help would be appreciated.

I think that fee is paid when they decide to grant you an interview. They will send you a letter along with where to send the Secondary app. fee (which I think is like $30).

I got an email in late July telling me where to send the money, and yeah I think it was $30. It wasn't an interview invite, I didn't get that until a few months later.

:D :thumbup: thanks a lot:thumbup:

Does anyone know if we need a laptop? I hope not because man am I low on the cash flow right now.:thumbup:

Financial aid info:

This applies to out of state students as I live out of state and it is based on out of state tuition. You will receive 4250/sem in Subsidized loans and 17111/sem in Unsubsidized loans. I called and asked the financial aid rep why my subsidized loans was so lo and she said that is the maximum the government allows for Temple and apparently everyone gets this amount.

Yes, the most you can borrow in subsidized Stafford is $8,500/yr or $4,250/semester.

i am so confused with all this loan/financial aid stuff...is there any website or something that explains this stuff clearly? my parents paid for all of my undergrad stuff so i was pretty spoiled in that regard and never paid any attention to FAFSA or any of the related stuff. i've gotten my financial award letter and its at least 40,000..but i guess thats not enough is it? i've also got the stafford loan letter...whats this all about? including housing and everything whats approximately the total loan i should be looking at?

any help would be so so sooo greatly appreciated. thanks!

That schedule is WRONG! You will most likely start the day or two after new years day. You will usually get out arounf DEC 15th and get 2.5-3 weeks off.

I have NEVER provided info about my parents. You only provide it if you want a HSPS (??) loan. This is the health professional loan and you only get it if your parents dont make very much money.

So if they make a lot of bling then why go through the trouble of submitting? Now if I could only convince my dad to give me a loan...:D

Are you guys sick of hearing from me yet?:smuggrin: :thumbup:

How could I tire of your sweet words of wisdom? see ya in a month and a half!!

Enjoy your birthday - when will you be in town? My plan is to repeat this "outing" every 2 weeks or so until orientation....

I'll be moving in August.
Still looking for a place to live.

Superfinger45........are you going to be joining us in the fall?

Sorry guys... I'm not going to Temple but I made a pact that any highlighted post I would write:
GO SABRES!
It's a superstition. Please bear with me. It's only for today.

Sugar,

SDN is one thing, but I dare you to walk around north Philly in a Sabres jersey.

That's heresy.

93554SyBX_w.jpg

(Actually, I don't care. I'm only a Flyers fan for the next 4 years.)

That's heresy.

93554SyBX_w.jpg

(Actually, I don't care. I'm only a Flyers fan for the next 4 years.)

So I've been a Sharks Fan, now I am a Av's Fan, but I am not sure if I will become a Flyers fan.

Wear a cowboys jersey to an Eagles game. You'll recieve undivided love from many people ;) :D

Wear a cowboys jersey to an Eagles game. You'll recieve undivided love from many people ;) :D

I did that at Raider stadium in California about 6 years ago...lets say that I didn't leave the stadium with the opposing teams clothes I came in with...and the fans there are crazy (more so when they are drunk and they are losing to the team you are sporting on your back).

I wouldn't recommend it.

Count me in when August rolls around! Random question... is smoking outlawed in bars there? I'm just not a huge fan of tiny, smoke-filled rooms.

I posted this on our facebook group, but since most of you guys aren't out there yet, I thought some of the current students might be able to help. Anantpreet (akdental) and I are coming to Philadelphia on Thursday and Friday, June 28th and 29th. We really were hoping we could save some money and stay with somebody who had some extra room in their apt. If anyone on here has some space or can put us in touch with someone who does, we'd really appreciate it. Thanks!!!

Hey everyone-

My fiance and I are planning on living in center city, and commuting via train to school/work. We are debating about whether or not to keep one car with us. It will cost money for car insurance and a few hundred dollars a month to park it, so can the people that live in Philly provide some insight as to if a vehicle is necessary? I was thinking that if we ever go out of town and need to drive, it may be cheaper to rent one. I can't think of any reason to keep one around, maybe the grocery store?? Please help!

Hey everyone-

My fiance and I are planning on living in center city, and commuting via train to school/work. We are debating about whether or not to keep one car with us. It will cost money for car insurance and a few hundred dollars a month to park it, so can the people that live in Philly provide some insight as to if a vehicle is necessary? I was thinking that if we ever go out of town and need to drive, it may be cheaper to rent one. I can't think of any reason to keep one around, maybe the grocery store?? Please help!
We didn't have a car for the 1st 2 years we were here. I think it is very do-able (sp?) and a smart thing to not bring a car considering how high insurance is here. In Philly, there is an awesome service called PhillyCarShare which is really handy. If you are not a member it is only like $15/hr or something, and you can reserve moments before use. You don't pay gas, insurance, or anything! If you are a memeber, it's less.

Thanks for your post GooseStuff. Did you have any inconveniences with study groups or grocery shoping you have had to get around? (These are a few of the main reasons I can think of why I would want to keep it :) )
Why did you decide to get one now? (I'm assuming you did by your post) Thanks for the link!

Thanks for your post GooseStuff. Did you have any inconveniences with study groups or grocery shoping you have had to get around? (These are a few of the main reasons I can think of why I would want to keep it :) )
Why did you decide to get one now? (I'm assuming you did by your post) Thanks for the link!
We got a car b/c we needed (mostly Mr.Goose for work) to go out of the city more and more and we do most of our vacations on the road. Philly does have a pretty good public transportation system, and it is especially convenient if you live near the subway. Personally, I don't love doing the subway late at night by my lonesome, but the buses are also good.

As far as groceries - we always lived close to markets, so just walked. It's very much a walkable city - assuming you are in CC. If you liveout by Manayunk, then that's a bit of diff. story. A car would be handy. However, there is another option - scooter! So much fun!!

Anyone else turn in their decision to choose a lender for their loans?

I got the packet last month, but it was sitting on my shelf and i forgot, and i finally got to it today.

How did you go about choosing your lender?
It was like picking blind folded, I have no idea what the difference is between all of those lenders.

Ohh ya, I have heard that an orientation packet is being mailed out, anyone receive it yet? I haven't.

I was told by the financial aid office that it did not matter which lender you use, any one will work and be the same. I got a letter about a month ago talking about orientation. In it it said that we would get a letter some time in July that had the academic calander and other information. Hope this helps.:thumbup: