Temple University Kornberg School of Dentistry Post-Bac Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Read the program fine print very carefully. And consider that you're paying what some might consider steep tuition for classes and what amounts to unpaid dental assisting work (yes, the experience is very helpful). Maybe a post-bac which provides you with a master's degree (and opportunities should dentistry not pan out) would be more beneficial? It's all up to what you personally believe is best for you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I'm hoping the people who are attending the post-bac program right now can give us some insight about the program. How do you guys like it so far? How many students are currently in the program? Has anyone in the program been successful in receiving an interview? I plan to reapply for this post-bacc program this year.

Hey guys, I'm hoping the people who are attending the post-bac program right now can give us some insight about the program. How do you guys like it so far? How many students are currently in the program? Has anyone in the program been successful in receiving an interview? I plan to reapply for this post-bacc program this year.

Ditto. Bump

Members don't see this ad :)
Could some current students please share their experiences and answer some questions about the program. Thank you very very very much. :)

http://dentistry.temple.edu/pb

1. How long is the program? When does it start and end?

2. What are the benefits of this program compared to other programs that offer MBS? (it seem like Temple does not offer a degree/certificate/guaranteed addmission if you sucessfully complete the requirements.)

3. What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?

4. What is the hardest class? Why?

5. What is the easiest class? Why?

6. Are class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?

7. Are traditional (paper) textbooks used or are they electronic? If electronic, do you prefer traditional textbooks?

8. What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages?

9. Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?

10. Is there a notetaking service for lecture available?

11. Is class attendance mandatory? How many hours of lecture/assisting per week?

12. In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)?

13. What is the drop out rate?

14. Are there any resources to help students who are struggling? If yes, what are they?

15. How difficult was it to get a 4.0?

16. What are some chracteritics of the top students in the program that set them apart from the rest?

17. Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own?

18. Is there much camaraderie between students in the same class? Do students generally associate with each other outside of school?

19. What are your opinions on the location of the dental school? Is finding housing an issue? Is safety an issue?

20. What do you not like about your program?

21. If you had to do it over again, would you choose this post-bacc program?

21. Any last words or advice?

Ditto, bump.
Could some current students please share their experiences and answer some questions about the program. Thank you very very very much. :)

2. What are the benefits of this program compared to other programs that offer MBS? (it seem like Temple does not offer a degree/certificate/guaranteed addmission if you sucessfully complete the requirements.)

3. What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?

6. Are class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?

7. Are traditional (paper) textbooks used or are they electronic? If electronic, do you prefer traditional textbooks?

9. Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?

11. Is class attendance mandatory? How many hours of lecture/assisting per week?

12. In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)?

14. Are there any resources to help students who are struggling? If yes, what are they?

16. What are some chracteritics of the top students in the program that set them apart from the rest?

17. Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own?

18. Is there much camaraderie between students in the same class? Do students generally associate with each other outside of school?

19. What are your opinions on the location of the dental school? Is finding housing an issue? Is safety an issue?

20. What do you not like about your program?

21. If you had to do it over again, would you choose this post-bacc program?

Hello, My name is Lauren and I am a current student in the post-bac program. I hope you find some pertinent information from the answers to your questions.. Please feel free to message me if you have any further questions. I would be glad to help!

The program begins in June and ends the end of April

There are NO degrees and NO certificates involved with this program, which in my opinion is a downside. However, the way this program is constructed, you become NELDA certified in addition to taking classes very similar to those of D1s.

This solely depends on the class. Some there are tests every few weeks, some there are only a midterm and final.

Oral Microbiome. Challenging course. In-depth material.

Dental assisting classes- pretty straight forward. Have a lot of experience.

Lectures are powerpoints.

Textbooks; I'm a traditional textbook fan- i need to be able to easily flip back and forth. Don't like the extra weight, though.

Letter grades.

In this program, there are seats reserved for you- so long as you maintain a specific GPA, professionalism, and obtain a 20 on the DAT- WHICH I HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU HAVE DONE PRIOR TO PROGRAM!!!!

all lectures are recorded on class capture

depends on instructor/class

teachers are always available

n/a

office hours with instructor- but the no one to my knowledge has had to utilize any source of tutoring.

doable. prepare yourself and there will not be any worries

16. What are some characteristics of the top students in the program that set them apart from the rest?
our class is very diverse in terms of backgrounds, but we all basically have the same grades within the program.

medical school library; various quiet rooms within the dental school

yes, there have been many friendships created within the program. We are pretty tight-knit

the area is pretty bad, but I have never felt unsafe walking to and from the school

if you DO NOT HAVE A 20 ON THE DAT AND NEED THIS PROGRAM TO BOOST YOUR GPA START STUDYING FOR YOUR DAT NOW AND TAKE IT BEFORE ENTERING THE PROGRAM!!!!!
IN ADDITION- THERE IS NO GUARANTEE FOR A SEAT IN THE DENTAL SCHOOL!!!!!

Hello, My name is Lauren and I am a current student in the post-bac program. I hope you find some pertinent information from the answers to your questions.. Please feel free to message me if you have any further questions. I would be glad to help!

There are NO degrees and NO certificates involved with this program, which in my opinion is a downside. However, the way this program is constructed, you become NELDA certified in addition to taking classes very similar to those of D1s.

This solely depends on the class. Some there are tests every few weeks, some there are only a midterm and final.

Textbooks; I'm a traditional textbook fan- i need to be able to easily flip back and forth. Don't like the extra weight, though.

Letter grades.

In this program, there are seats reserved for you- so long as you maintain a specific GPA, professionalism, and obtain a 20 on the DAT- WHICH I HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU HAVE DONE PRIOR TO PROGRAM!!!!

n/a

office hours with instructor- but the no one to my knowledge has had to utilize any source of tutoring.

16. What are some characteristics of the top students in the program that set them apart from the rest?
our class is very diverse in terms of backgrounds, but we all basically have the same grades within the program.

yes, there have been many friendships created within the program. We are pretty tight-knit

the area is pretty bad, but I have never felt unsafe walking to and from the school

if you DO NOT HAVE A 20 ON THE DAT AND NEED THIS PROGRAM TO BOOST YOUR GPA START STUDYING FOR YOUR DAT NOW AND TAKE IT BEFORE ENTERING THE PROGRAM!!!!!
Thank you so much for the response.

One quick qyestion..

About how many ppl from your class made the requirements to get the seats?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

Letter grades.

n/a

If I go into the program with a 20+ DAT , do I need to take the DAT again after the post bacc program? or will I automatically meet the 20+ DAT requirement?

If I go into the program with a 20+ DAT , do I need to take the DAT again after the post bacc program? or will I automatically meet the 20+ DAT requirement?
Why on earth would you need to take it again?

Thank you so much for the response.

One quick qyestion..

About how many ppl from your class made the requirements to get the seats?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile
there were 17 students that already came into the program with a 20 or better. the other 23 students must retake the DAT to gain acceptance (if they want to go to Temple of course)

Why on earth would you need to take it again?
because there are three major stipulations for the program in order for you to gain acceptance... 3.5 GPA, 20 on the DAT, and professionalism.

because there are three major stipulations for the program in order for you to gain acceptance... 3.5 GPA, 20 on the DAT, and professionalism.
Im sorry I misunderstood- didnt realize you answered someone else's question. lol
if you come into the program with a 20 or higher (DAT must not be older than 2 years) you will not have to retake the DAT

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this has been answered, but how many people that get over 3.5, over 20 DAT, and acquire the professionalism gain entry to the dental school? I know it isn't an automatic acceptance, but is it a pretty high rate, I am just worried because 40K is a lot to invest in and I don't know if it is worth it if it isn't a high rate.

Last edited:
Just got an email to apply for their post-bac.. Do they send it to everyone?

Sorry if this has been answered, but how many people that get over 3.5, over 20 DAT, and acquire the professionalism gain entry to the dental school? I know it isn't an automatic acceptance, but is it a pretty high rate, I am just worried because 40K is a lot to invest in and I don't know if it is worth it if it isn't a high rate.
Its an extrmely high rate if you have a 3.5 GPA and 20 DAT. You have to get that 20 though. I would say that the program is definitely worth it if you're willing to work hard and achive that. If you do that, you will likely get in. First wave of acceptances to Kornberg 4-year went out for us a couple of weeks ago... at least 15 people.

Its an extrmely high rate if you have a 3.5 GPA and 20 DAT. You have to get that 20 though. I would say that the program is definitely worth it if you're willing to work hard and achive that. If you do that, you will likely get in. First wave of acceptances to Kornberg 4-year went out for us a couple of weeks ago... at least 15 people.
Ahh I see! So they give the acceptances kind of late and not on December 1st? Are the classes in the dental school? And How many people are in the program in total? Sorry if these have been answered! :)

Ahh I see! So they give the acceptances kind of late and not on December 1st? Are the classes in the dental school? And How many people are in the program in total? Sorry if these have been answered! :)

40 people in program total. Acceptances are given by April 1st, but they do try to give them out earlier if possible (first wave went out February). The reason they don't give the acceptances out earlier for students in this program is because they need to ensure we maintain the 3.5 GPA. The classes are held at the dental school, and we get experience in the clinics assisting the 3rd and 4th years.

40 people in program total. Acceptances are given by April 1st, but they do try to give them out earlier if possible (first wave went out February). The reason they don't give the acceptances out earlier for students in this program is because they need to ensure we maintain the 3.5 GPA. The classes are held at the dental school, and we get experience in the clinics assisting the 3rd and 4th years.
Oh wow I see. Do you think the classes are difficult to manage a 3.5, what do you think the average is for each class? I come from a pretty rigorous university, so I just want to gauge how difficult it would be to manage a 3.5.

Oh wow I see. Do you think the classes are difficult to manage a 3.5, what do you think the average is for each class? I come from a pretty rigorous university, so I just want to gauge how difficult it would be to manage a 3.5.

If you're willing to put in the time to study, you won't find it difficult to get the 3.5. All of the teachers want you to succeed. I would say that the vast majority of the people in our program this year have at least a 3.5. I was an econ and music double major at Bowdoin graduating 10 years ago and I currently have a 4.0 in the program. It seems that the biggest obstacle to acceptance to Kornberg dental school is getting the 20 DAT. As Lauren said, if you don't have that, I would highly suggest doing that sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
If you're willing to put in the time to study, you won't find it difficult to get the 3.5. All of the teachers want you to succeed. I would say that the vast majority of the people in our program this year have at least a 3.5. I was an econ and music double major at Bowdoin graduating 10 years ago and I currently have a 4.0 in the program. It seems that the biggest obstacle to acceptance to Kornberg dental school is getting the 20 DAT. As Lauren said, if you don't have that, I would highly suggest doing sooner rather than later.
I see, thank you very much you were VERY helpful! :) I wish you best of luck!

Anyone have an idea of when we should start to hear back from Temple? I know that my check was processed already but no word from them through email or on the AADSAS page

I just got an interview invite today via email!!! For those that have done it last year, how is the interview process? I cant seem to find much info since it is still a relatively new program. Thanks!

so do you apply to other dental schools while enrolled in the program?

I don't believe there were interviews for the first year

For those that have done it last year, how is the interview process? I cant seem to find much info since it is still a relatively new program. Thanks!

I don't believe there were interviews for the first year
Ahhhh :\ in the email they said it will be a video interview. Is this similar to the interview day for the dental school itself? Maybe I can look up info there on the interview feedback of SDN. Thanks for the info tho! :)

Ahhhh :\ in the email they said it will be a video interview. Is this similar to the interview day for the dental school itself? Maybe I can look up info there on the interview feedback of SDN. Thanks for the info tho! :)
Have you found out anything about the interview?? I scheduled mine for next Thursday the 17th

Have you found out anything about the interview?? I scheduled mine for next Thursday the 17th
There were no interviews for the first year, as there was not enough time. As far as I know, they will be doing an in-person interview for the post bacc this year. They do a video interview for the actual dental school program.

From what I read it seems the interview will consist of a video, writing sample, and manual dexterity test. :arghh: LOL...This is going to be fun! I have an interview for march 18th.

From what I read it seems the interview will consist of a video, writing sample, and manual dexterity test. :arghh: LOL...This is going to be fun! I have an interview for march 18th.
It's very unorthodox but hey, I guess it works for them. Don't memorize something for the video and sound like a robot. Be yourself and make sure you have a few key things about yourself you want to bring up. It really isn't that bad and its all over within 6 minutes. Good luck.

Yeah i never had a video interview nor a manual dexterity portion or a white portion at any of my interviews hahaha. I wonder what the acceptance rate for this program is once interviewed.

It's very unorthodox but hey, I guess it works for them. Don't memorize something for the video and sound like a robot. Be yourself and make sure you have a few key things about yourself you want to bring up. It really isn't that bad and its all over within 6 minutes. Good luck.

Thanks!!

Yeah i never had a video interview nor a manual dexterity portion or a white portion at any of my interviews hahaha. I wonder what the acceptance rate for this program is once interviewed.

Ya I have no idea. The program does sound very helpful!

Thanks!!

Ya I have no idea. The program does sound very helpful!
Yeah I feel like this is a good warmup to dental school and shouldn't be taken as a failure to get into dental school. Some students would love the exposure to dental related classes as well as the school itself prior to D1 instead of just jumping right into it and suffering with the overwhelming courseload.

Anyone know if Kornberg (the actual dental school) is giving out interviews still?

Yeah I feel like this is a good warmup to dental school and shouldn't be taken as a failure to get into dental school. Some students would love the exposure to dental related classes as well as the school itself prior to D1 instead of just jumping right into it and suffering with the overwhelming courseload.
The program is outstanding! It'll definitely give you a head start for dental school, esp if you go to Kornberg. As well, you will get to know many of the doctors and faculty on staff who will be your instructors during D1 and beyond. Make a great impression!

Thanks @LauRDH and @PaulH for answering so many questions for those of us that are interested in the program.

Could someone clarify on the 3.5 GPA requirement? Is that for classes taken as part of the post-baccalaureate program only, overall GPA (including undergraduate/graduate coursework), or a combination of both?

Hi @LauRDH and @PaulH since you guys are in the first class do you have any statistics on how many people were accepted to dental school following the program? Or is it still too new to comment on these statistics? THANK YOU!

Thanks @LauRDH and @PaulH for answering so many questions for those of us that are interested in the program.

Could someone clarify on the 3.5 GPA requirement? Is that for classes taken as part of the post-baccalaureate program only, overall GPA (including undergraduate/graduate coursework), or a combination of both?
The 3.5 requirement is solely for the post bacc program.

Last edited:
Hi @LauRDH and @PaulH since you guys are in the first class do you have any statistics on how many people were accepted to dental school following the program? Or is it still too new to comment on these statistics? THANK YOU!
I can't say for sure exactly how many people have been accepted, but perhaps around 20-25 so far, and these would be the people who have met the 20 DAT and 3.5 GPA. I have not heard of any person in my class tell me that they have met those requirements and not been accepted. Of note as well, several people from my class have also been accepted to other schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm happy to answer any questions that you guys have to the best of my ability! Please feel free to contact Dean Nyquist directly as well, in case anything has changed since my year as it is a new program.

I can't say for sure exactly how many people have been accepted, but perhaps around 20-25 so far, and these would be the people who have met the 20 DAT and 3.5 GPA. I have not heard of any person in my class tell me that they have met those requirements and not been accepted. Of note as well, several people from my class have also been accepted to other schools.

that is actually great news! now I am getting nervous for the interview since it is probably my only hope for this cycle haha thank you for the information!!

Reactions: 1 users
that is actually great news! now I am getting nervous for the interview since it is probably my only hope for this cycle haha thank you for the information!!
No problem and don't be nervous! Just be prepared to talk about why you are passionate about becoming a dentist and how hard you are willing to work to make that happen. It's an outstanding and unique program! Good luck!

Question for anyone who's in the program... how did you guys afford to pay for the tuition? private loans? out of pocket? I think that will be my main concern if I were to get into this program... any suggestions/advice?