Temple University Kornberg School of Dentistry Post-Bac Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question for anyone who's in the program... how did you guys afford to pay for the tuition? private loans? out of pocket? I think that will be my main concern if I were to get into this program... any suggestions/advice?
I can't speak for other people, but for me, it was a combination of Federal loans and loan from family. Isn't there a Plus loan for people with no adverse credit which is beyond the standard Federal loan of 12k? I would check with financial aid.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey @SaeWat How did your interview go today??
Had it today and it was wonderful. You have 5-6 minutes to do the video interview and they have an ethical question. They are not doing the manual dexterity nor the writing portion. Everyone there was superrrr friendly and Ms. Nyquist is very very caring about the post bac students. I definitely look forward to this program if I get accepted.

Had it today and it was wonderful. You have 5-6 minutes to do the video interview and they have an ethical question. They are not doing the manual dexterity nor the writing portion. Everyone there was superrrr friendly and Ms. Nyquist is very very caring about the post bac students. I definitely look forward to this program if I get accepted.

Thank you!! Literally so nervous for this tomorrow. The ethical question is separate from your 5-6 minute video right? Ethical questions can be so difficult sometimes!

Thank you!! Literally so nervous for this tomorrow. The ethical question is separate from your 5-6 minute video right? Ethical questions can be so difficult sometimes!
No, you flip over a card out of a set of 15 or so and just answer it and then continue to talk. Pretty weird the people in the post bac don't have to do the manual dexterity (arguably the most nerve wrecking part) or the writing sample.

No, you flip over a card out of a set of 15 or so and just answer it and then continue to talk. Pretty weird the people in the post bac don't have to do the manual dexterity (arguably the most nerve wrecking part) or the writing sample.

Thanks for the info! The manual dexterity would have been nerve wrecking for sure. Glad we don't have to do this!!

It is combined with the video interview, so leave yourself room at the end to READ the card and ANSWER the prompt. There were only 5 cards and it was lengthy (a good lengthy paragraph). Don't be nervous! Just be yourself :)

It is combined with the video interview, so leave yourself room at the end to READ the card and ANSWER the prompt. There were only 5 cards and it was lengthy (a good lengthy paragraph). Don't be nervous! Just be yourself :)

oh boy! Okay thank you!!

It was nice meeting everyone today! I hope we can be future classmates! :)

I forgot to ask Ms. Nyquist during the interview (maybe she mentioned it at another interview date), but does anyone know how many people they plan on interviewing this year and how soon we will find out for acceptances?

She wouldn't give an exact number but it looks like there are interviewing ~15 candidates per session and I believe she said that they will be interviewing till the end of March. I know they did interviews on Thursday, and Friday so assuming they continue doing twice a week they are going to have 5 or 6 groups with 75~90 interviewed for 40 seats.

Program looks wonderful! Really relaxed learning environment since the 40 arent fighting each other for a spot at Temple dental the following just gotta fight your own laziness.

Members don't see this ad :)
She wouldn't give an exact number but it looks like there are interviewing ~15 candidates per session and I believe she said that they will be interviewing till the end of March. I know they did interviews on Thursday, and Friday so assuming they continue doing twice a week they are going to have 5 or 6 groups with 75~90 interviewed for 40 seats.

Program looks wonderful! Really relaxed learning environment since the 40 arent fighting each other for a spot at Temple dental the following just gotta fight your own laziness.
There were 9 candidates during my interview which was 3/17, so I guess the number varies a bit.

What exactly does a "video interview" consist of?

Sent from my XT1096 using SDN mobile
You just describe yourself. They specifically told us to mention things that are not on our application, whatever that may be for you.

We did all of that

Hey guys I just scheduled my interview for 3/30, I actually don't know a lot about the program. I understand that its a 1-year program where we would be getting some exposure to dentistry. Just wondering, if there is any sort of guarantee for an interview or acceptance into Temple's dental school?

Hey guys I just scheduled my interview for 3/30, I actually don't know a lot about the program. I understand that its a 1-year program where we would be getting some exposure to dentistry. Just wondering, if there is any sort of guarantee for an interview or acceptance into Temple's dental school?

Its an extrmely high rate if you have a 3.5 GPA and 20 DAT. You have to get that 20 though. I would say that the program is definitely worth it if you're willing to work hard and achive that. If you do that, you will likely get in. First wave of acceptances to Kornberg 4-year went out for us a couple of weeks ago... at least 15 people.

As @PaulH already mentioned its a super high rate of acceptance (it seemed that they guarantee it but didnt want to quite say it) into their dental school if you complete the program with a 3.5 GPA, 20 on the DAT (I believe its AA), and professionalism while attending.

Its not just exposure to dentistry they train you to become dental assistants for the D3/D4 students at their dental program. Clincial hours three times a week during the fall/spring semesters.

Any updates/anyone accepted yet? Or do they send 1st round after everyone has interviewed?

Any updates/anyone accepted yet? Or do they send 1st round after everyone has interviewed?

when i asked during my interview ms nyquist said third week of april decisions will be made

when i asked during my interview ms nyquist said third week of april decisions will be made
That is soooo long x.x I just want to have my future figured out...

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry to chime in, I appreciate y'alls feedback on the interview it truly helped. I just had my interview Monday, and she said they will try to aim for the 2nd-3rd week of April. The program will start May 25th, not sure if y'all received that information but I was under the impression that the program started June 1st.

Sorry to chime in, I appreciate y'alls feedback on the interview it truly helped. I just had my interview Monday, and she said they will try to aim for the 2nd-3rd week of April. The program will start May 25th, not sure if y'all received that information but I was under the impression that the program started June 1st.
How many people were at your interview? Just trying to gauge the interview/accept ratio, since this is the first time they are interviewing.

@SaeWat There was 14 people in total on our interview (some people had changed to Monday because they could not make it last week). Brian Hahn- gave us some feedback as to the rate of acceptance into Kornberg School of Dentistry. He confirmed 20-25 students got in to the entering class (like PaulH said), about 12 students got into other dental programs. All students that got in made the requirement of 3.5 GPA and 20 AA DAT. With that being said, 20 of the students that were admitted into the program already had 20's on their DAT. Hope this helps!

Chiming in now since I haven't checked sdn in years haha
This program definitely does give a unique experience, since a good portion of the coursework was made with the goal of filling in the voids that they don't have enough time to teach you in dental school. Clinically, you are able to work in an actual dental school with dental students and learn from them and the attending faculty. Also, as far as I know, almost all the post-bacc students were able to assist the D4's for their clinical boards exams. You get a pretty good idea of how things go in the NERBS (and for some, the WREBS) years before you have to do it, which is a really rare opportunity.

Edit: Just kidding. You'll probably be able to assist for boards during your first or second year of dental school. But doing the PB program lets you get to be all hipster and do it before everyone else does haha

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I have a question for current students. I know it is recommended you have the 2oAA before you start the program. But if I have to re-take and I happen to get accepted into this program, is it possible to study for during the summer semester? Thanks! @PaulH @LauRDH

Just got accepted!!! Omgggg i have a future!!

Reactions: 1 users
I did too!!! Congrats!!! That's such a load off.
Do you know if they'll send us a facebook group? I want to figure out the roommate thing asap!

I did too!!! Congrats!!! That's such a load off.
Do you know if they'll send us a facebook group? I want to figure out the roommate thing asap!
Thanks! Waitlisted at 5 schools was too much for me! I am not sure, maybe we need to create one like last year's but yeah I need to find housing and roommate as well! Congrats to you!!!

Thanks! Waitlisted at 5 schools was too much for me! I am not sure, maybe we need to create one like last year's but yeah I need to find housing and roommate as well! Congrats to you!!!

@SaeWat @phillydent2 Congrats! I just got the email today too

I am just concerned about this program. My main issue was my GPA and I feel like it will be a hard time for me to maintain a 3.5 gpa

I am just concerned about this program. My main issue was my GPA and I feel like it will be a hard time for me to maintain a 3.5 gpa
From what I have seen in the posts from the previous class, it seems like they are able to handle it well and a lot of them maintained it over 3.5. I think if we come into this program with a fresh mindset and forget about what happened in undergrad we can do it! This is our second chance to prove to the admissions committees that we are capable of doing it.

Thats true. I think I am going to do it. I just hope I can maintain above a 3.5! When are you going to send your deposit in?

Thats true. I think I am going to do it. I just hope I can maintain above a 3.5! When are you going to send your deposit in?
Gonna wait til Friday just in case I hear back from any of my 5 schools that I'm waitlisted at haha

Exactly what saeWat said. I've talked to a few people in the program. They say the 3.5 is easy to get and the main concern is the 20 DAT. But you will be surrounded with 39 other people that are going through the exact same thing. I'm sure keeping your grades high will be better with all those people to help whenever!
And since we have a week to send in the deposit. I am taking care of that and housing today.

congrats!! for the people who didn't receive email I can only help to think that means bad news? :( great

congrats!! for the people who didn't receive email I can only help to think that means bad news? :( great
I interviewed the very first day available so maybe they are still reviewing the others. Dont lose hope!

I interviewed the very first day available so maybe they are still reviewing the others. Dont lose hope!

I interviewed the second day haha .. I guess I will just stay positive :)

I also got accepted, in the emails is says there are forms we should fill out. Where do you find the forms?

I also got accepted, in the emails is says there are forms we should fill out. Where do you find the forms?
They said they will mail us with documents later today.

Where are you guys going to stay?

Last edited:
Any current students recommend any apartments to stay at for the year?

For anyone looking at housing: I'm local. From what all my friends have said everywhere in the city you are going to be paying about a grand probably more and can't really have a car in most places, but at least you walk everywhere. Fishtown is the place a lot of my working friends are moving but it's pricey.
I've been looking in Manayunk (where most students live) it's a 15 minute drive in the morning to class or you can take the train. And rent runs between 500-700 if you live with people. It's also SUCH a fun place to live and the move in dates I was looking at was May 15th. I'll be looking for roommates so if anyone is interested let me know!

Anyone not getting an email yet: Don't worry. Last year they were replacing spots a week before the start date. Hope you hear good news soon!

im sure not all 40 acceptances were given out today ... hopefully us other people still have a shot!

Lol dude who says that the commute to Manayunk is 15 min... You would have to drive to the train station every day from your house, you would then need to pay for parking for your car at the train station while its there, wait about 10-15 min for the train to arrive, realistically looking at a 20-25 min commute by train during rush hours when everyone is going to work (probably coincides with the time you need to be at class). Once u get off the train station u def need to transfer to a subway station to get to temple which will take another 10-15 min. Grand total of anywhere from a 40-1hr commute every day. you also have to get a septa pass since every transfer requires a septa token. This would be every day...

Theres plenty of affordable places under 900$ as long as u room with at least one other person in center city. Dont treck all the way out to Manayunk, as a philly resident this sounds like a bad idea and i would highly not recommend it. Theres tons of places near the BSL, i mean its only the longest subway line in philly and the subway is super fast!! Just my opinion but if you want to move here and find out for yourself be my guest.

Last edited:
Lol dude who says that the commute to Manayunk is 15 min... Actually a philly resident here, have been living and working in south philly for like two years so i will give u the actual lowdown of whats going to happen if u move to Manayunk. You would have to drive to the train station every day from your house, you would then need to pay for parking for your car at the train station while its there, wait about 10-15 min for the train to arrive, realistically looking at a 20-25 min commute by train during rush hours when everyone is going to work (probably coincides with the time you need to be at class). Once u get off the train station u def need to transfer to a subway station to get to temple which will take another 10-15 min. Grand total of anywhere from a 40-1hr commute every day. you also have to get a septa pass since every transfer requires a septa token. This would be every day...

Theres plenty of affordable places under 900$ as long as u room with at least one other person in center city. Currently im living in a place with a roomate in Center city for 825/month with a roofdeck, basement and w/d in unit. Dont treck all the way out to Manayunk, as a philly resident this sounds like a bad idea and i would highly not recommend it. Theres tons of places near the BSL, i mean its only the longest subway line in philly and the subway is super fast!! Just my opinion but if you want to move here and find out for yourself be my guest.
I've been looking at this: http://dentistry.temple.edu/sites/dentistry/files/uploads/APPARTMENT GUIDE 20152.pdf
How is York North Apartments? Any bad reputations? It is right next to the BSL and it is just above North Philly and price is not too bad (studio for about $850) I don't mind the small space at all.

Lol dude who says that the commute to Manayunk is 15 min... Actually a philly resident here, have been living and working in south philly for like two years so i will give u the actual lowdown of whats going to happen if u move to Manayunk. You would have to drive to the train station every day from your house, you would then need to pay for parking for your car at the train station while its there, wait about 10-15 min for the train to arrive, realistically looking at a 20-25 min commute by train during rush hours when everyone is going to work (probably coincides with the time you need to be at class). Once u get off the train station u def need to transfer to a subway station to get to temple which will take another 10-15 min. Grand total of anywhere from a 40-1hr commute every day. you also have to get a septa pass since every transfer requires a septa token. This would be every day...

Theres plenty of affordable places under 900$ as long as u room with at least one other person in center city. Currently im living in a place with a roomate in Center city for 825/month with a roofdeck, basement and w/d in unit. Dont treck all the way out to Manayunk, as a philly resident this sounds like a bad idea and i would highly not recommend it. Theres tons of places near the BSL, i mean its only the longest subway line in philly and the subway is super fast!! Just my opinion but if you want to move here and find out for yourself be my guest.

I've driven to Temple from Manayunk plenty of times it really is 15 minutes, did it for my interview. I haven't taken the train there, don't personally want to rely on them. But the only places I was looking for in Manayunk were the ones with parking. I was just throwing out an idea if anyone felt up to Manayunk. Where in center city are you? That sounds amazing. I just didn't look there b/cuz most my friends are paying about 1200 for center city apartments

Did anyone get the documents we're supposed to fill out ?

Last edited: