temple university - travel suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bridge01

hallo!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i couldnt find train directions from the school's site... just car and bus. i was thinking of taking an amtrak from manhattan to philadelphia. anyone know what train station is closer to temple? also what's the distance from the train station to temple? can you just switch over to the city's subway system? i read on a prev. post that you can then take the 'orange line'.

is it feasible to get there on the same day if i leave in the morning? i dont want to shell out for a hotel if i can avoid it.

thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

where u guys staying? any suggestions from past interviewers about good accomodations?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a student host and he was both helpful and accomodating. doesn't cost a cent and can actually make your life easier. :thumbup:

To the OP, use the septa website to figure out what trains you need and where they stop. It's not that hard to figure out on your own. I stuck to the above ground rail and free Temple U.-Temple HSC shuttle the whole time and was able to handle things alright. The only thing that I would say is give yourself plenty of time because it isn't the fastest or most reliable system that I've ever been on.

I stayed at the Marriott on Juniper. It was a few miles from Temple and in a nicer area of town than the school.

You guys should stay with Temple students. We can give you a good idea about what the school is all about and show you around Philly. Plus it's the best price, free!

bridge01 said:
so i couldnt find train directions from the school's site... just car and bus. i was thinking of taking an amtrak from manhattan to philadelphia. anyone know what train station is closer to temple? also what's the distance from the train station to temple? can you just switch over to the city's subway system? i read on a prev. post that you can then take the 'orange line'.

is it feasible to get there on the same day if i leave in the morning? i dont want to shell out for a hotel if i can avoid it.

thank you!

It's pretty easy to get from amtrak to Temple, even on the same day if you leave early enough to make your interview. So, from 30th St station, just ask someone at the information desk where you can catch SEPTA.

All you have to do is go to the blue line east to 15th St and then catch the orange line (north local). Get off at Allegheny, which is located right near the Dental School, which is a white building. Just walk north past the Dental School up Broad St and you'll be on campus.

I think the building where you will interview is located right across the street from the Hospital. But, to make sure, just ask people around you; they'll be helpful. Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to ask their office if these directions are good ;)

So, have a good trip and good luck!

Just out of curiousity to those who got interviews, what were your guys stats?

Well, hell. How do I get to be a student host? This doesn't seem to be well-publicized - because I would love to be a student host - but I never thought that we had a program.

Anyways - you can take that badass highspeed sorta train in in the early morning from manhattan - I believe you get off at 30th and market or somwhereatheres, but whatever - what you really need to get to is the broad street line - the express get you up faster from center city - the stop you want is Erie - a manageable two block walk south to the medical school. If you end up taking the local - you can get off on Allegheny - you will have to go norht to get to the school. Don't be a sissy walking either north or south on broad - it looks rough - but it is really quite charming. And that carribean place has amazing jerk chicken.

doctor5 said:
Just out of curiousity to those who got interviews, what were your guys stats?

3.8, 32

Philly is one of my favorite cities. It's very easy to get around in, you can definitely go straight from the train station to the school in the morning if you arrive early enough.

I'm pretty sure there is no program. But here we are talking to the interviewees. ;)

JM. said:
Well, hell. How do I get to be a student host? This doesn't seem to be well-publicized - because I would love to be a student host - but I never thought that we had a program.

thanks to everyone!