Temple University versus Boston U

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doodpac

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any comments on either of the two programs above for ophtho? Thanks. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

i dont know too much about temple, but i have heard BU is a pretty strong program

Temple is a nice program in rural pa, 3 residents per year. There are 4 full time attendings there, 2 in peds, 1 in retina and 1 in uveitis. Lots of didactics, with alot of the lecturers being from Wills. There is a plastics guy from wills but i believe he only comes once every 2 weeks to see clinic patients. Patient population is pretty much inner city and indigent. It's not in the nicest part of philly. I think you get to see a very high volume, which is great. My only hangup about the program is that there isn't full time coverage in all the subspecialties, but you see a ton of general ophthalmology. Residents are great, and all seem to get along.

Buck Strong said:
Temple is a nice program in rural pa, 3 residents per year. There are 4 full time attendings there, 2 in peds, 1 in retina and 1 in uveitis. Lots of didactics, with alot of the lecturers being from Wills. There is a plastics guy from wills but i believe he only comes once every 2 weeks to see clinic patients. Patient population is pretty much inner city and indigent. It's not in the nicest part of philly. I think you get to see a very high volume, which is great. My only hangup about the program is that there isn't full time coverage in all the subspecialties, but you see a ton of general ophthalmology. Residents are great, and all seem to get along.

Temple is most certainly not in rural PA. It is located in North Philadelphia, which is an extremely urban place. It is the place in Philly that sees a predominantly Hispanic population. They go to Wilimington Delaware (~1/2 hr drive) where most of the coverage is by Wills or other community preceptors. You wouldn't want to live near the hospital as it is a pretty crappy location (the hospital itself isn't bad though); residents seem to live in either Center City, Manyunk, or a nearby suburb. One of last year's 3rd years is now a cornea fellow at UCSD; I'm not sure about the others.