Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Temple University versus Boston U

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by doodpac, Nov 14, 2005.

1. doodpac

doodpac Member
    5+ Year Member

Any comments on either of the two programs above for ophtho? Thanks. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Big Poppa Pump
    7+ Year Member

i dont know too much about temple, but i have heard BU is a pretty strong program

4. Buck Strong

Buck Strong Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Temple is a nice program in rural pa, 3 residents per year. There are 4 full time attendings there, 2 in peds, 1 in retina and 1 in uveitis. Lots of didactics, with alot of the lecturers being from Wills. There is a plastics guy from wills but i believe he only comes once every 2 weeks to see clinic patients. Patient population is pretty much inner city and indigent. It's not in the nicest part of philly. I think you get to see a very high volume, which is great. My only hangup about the program is that there isn't full time coverage in all the subspecialties, but you see a ton of general ophthalmology. Residents are great, and all seem to get along.

5. Pastrami King

Pastrami King Member
    7+ Year Member

Temple is most certainly not in rural PA. It is located in North Philadelphia, which is an extremely urban place. It is the place in Philly that sees a predominantly Hispanic population. They go to Wilimington Delaware (~1/2 hr drive) where most of the coverage is by Wills or other community preceptors. You wouldn't want to live near the hospital as it is a pretty crappy location (the hospital itself isn't bad though); residents seem to live in either Center City, Manyunk, or a nearby suburb. One of last year's 3rd years is now a cornea fellow at UCSD; I'm not sure about the others.