Temple University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yah-E

Toof Sniper
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm currently still in Philadelphia right now and flying back to AZ in about 3 hours! Well, my interview at Temple went really well!! Let me tell you all about it!

The day started about 7:15 AM for me, this is when I arrived at the dental school (we weren't required to be there until 8 AM). I showed up a little bit early to interact with some first year dental students who I have never met before. I chated with a couple of them until quarter to 8 AM and then proceeded to the admissions office to meet the admissions staff and other interviewees.

There were 9 of us total and we all got along great and had a great time through out the entire day! The admissions director, Mark Lombard, is extremely hospitable and informative about his school, Temple University School of Dentistry (TUSOD).

To spare you guys with the routine details, I'll just share what I gathered and gained from my interview:

First and foremost, TUSOD is an AWESOME "hands-on" primary patient care dental school! If you choice to go here for your dental education, you WILL BE prepared for the real world! The TUSOD philosophy = "Practice makes PERFECT!" You want general dentistry or simply want to extract teeth and do endo as a pre-doctorial student, this is your school!

Things I like about TUSOD:
1). Curriculum: you will see/treat all types of oral health conditions here within your patient pool, you might even see things that you might never see in your practice!!! STRONG, STRONG, STRONG clinical practice dental school.

2). Specialty Placement: TUSOD has a high percentage of placement rate, Oral Surgery = 100% (5 applied => 5 accepted), Ortho = 80% (5 applied => 4 accepted) and the list goes on. NOTE: TUSOD has a high specialty placement percentage not the highest number of specialty placement students.

3). Facilities: Class A working and learning environment! So much to brag about this area that I don't really feel like getting into it! Just believe me!

Now onto my interviewing experience:

I, myself along with three other interviewees were interviewed by three 4th year dental students (4 of us applicants total with 3 interviewers). The three dental students were the cream of the crop in their class, two of which are #1 and #2 in the their class respectively. #1 is going into Oral surgery next year with the 6 year program that leads to an Oral Surgeon/MD degree and #2 is going into Ortho. The third fourth-year student was more a partier, but still manage to be elected as the President of the student counsil and be selected for the specialty in Pedo. Between the 4 of us applicants and 3 of them interviewers, we just sat in a room and discussed our goals and dental experiences. I want to say that we as applicants asked them more questions than what they asked us! It was relaxed and informative! These three dental students were the one who wrote on our interivew evaluations. NOTE: the other 5 applicants in my group did the traditional group interview with ONE faculty member in another room somewhere.

After the interview day was done, eveyone left around 3 PM and I stuck around until 4:30 PMish to observe one of my interviewer that was going into Ortho next year (#2 in the 4th year dental class). We conversed more about dentistry and he jotted down more notes to my interview evaluation! I don't know if that's a good thing or bad, but I was glad that I was able to see more after the scheduled interview day.

Further, even funnier, the admissions director, Mark and I rode the subway together for a couple of stops and further discussed my motivation! So basically, my interview day lasted from 7:15 AM to 5 PM! I don't know if this is recommended, but if the current students or the admissions director asked if I would like to participate in certain activities after the scheduled day, I'm not going to be the one to say no!

More statistics:

Temple is now more than half full! They only have 24 seats left to be exact after 2 rounds of acceptance letters for next fall!

13 members on the admissions committee that includes current dental students

The Dean of Admissions and Students Services, Dr. Lisa Deem, makes the last ultimate admissions decision! If 13 adcom says "NO" to one applicant, Dr. Deem can say "YES" to that particular applicant, that applicant is IN and vice versa!

Theres a MBA/DMD option at no extra charge, but you must also take the GMAT standardize exam for the business school (I think I'm going to do this, if I get accepted to TUSOD)

Second oldest established dental school in the US behind Baltimore dental college in Maryland

First established Oral Surgery department in the world

Alright, I will stop this long letter! To sum, I really enjoyed TUSOD and if I get accepted, I strongly believe that I will attend!

I gotta go and catch my plane now! :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Yah-ZZZ:

Congrats on a great interview day! I'm sure that you'll be hearing good news soon!

Also wanted to know if you've had any more invitations to interview from the other schools that you're interested in.

Keep us posted!
Smile_doc :D

Hey Andy
I'm glad to hear your interview went well!!!
I'm so happy for ya!
They must have thought you were extremly motivated and interested in dentistry since you stuck around so long.
Keep me posted on other interviews/acceptances!!
Goodluck
Jennifer

Members don't see this ad :)
yah-zzz,

good to hear that you had a great interview. Did the people you mentioned at temple that placed into the specialties have to do a year of GPR of did they place straight out of dental school?

Where else are you interviewing in the coming weeks?

good luck

It's great that you had a wonderful interview. I'm sure that you'll get in. Eventhough Temple is pretty competitive. However, they remember you and your motivation, that's pretty important.
I've been busy and haven't visited this site lately. Did temple wait for your DAT and then invited you for an interview? When did you hear from them? Any more interview coming?
Thanks for sharing your experience
T

Hey you guys,

I'm finally home in AZ!! At any rate, to answer your quesions:

Q from smile_doctor:

"Also wanted to know if you've had any more invitations to interview from the other schools that you're interested in?"

A: Not at this time, but Su-Ann from Nova did say that she wants to get me over there for an interview, but I have not received an invite yet!! All my 8 other applications are still in review status! No denials yet either!

Q from baracuda:

"Did the people you mentioned at temple that placed into the specialties have to do a year of GPR of did they place straight out of dental school? Where else are you interviewing in the coming weeks?"

A: those 4th year dental students got accepted into their choice of specialty will start next year after their graduation, NO GPRs, they are absolutely brilliant dental students! GPR and AEGD acceptees are in another category and has their own respective acceptance percentages.

Q from tinker bell:

"Did temple wait for your DAT and then invited you for an interview? When did you hear from them? Any more interview coming?"

A: yes, TUSOD had my new DAT scores before I was invited for an interview, I heard directly from the Dean of Admissions, Dr. Lisa Deem, for my invite on Jan. 30th and my interview was scheduled on Feb. 8th (a week later)! No further interviews are forth coming at this point from other slow schools, but possibly one from Nova soon according to Su-Ann, Nova's admissions coordinator!

I want to thanks everyone who shares my excitment and shared with me their TUSOD interview experiences! It is these reasons why I find this site not only useful, but also extremely supportive!

Y,
all i have to say is: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: