Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Temple University

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by dph201, Nov 22, 2002.

1. dph201

dph201 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Does anyone out here attend Temple medical school? If so, I am trying to find out some information about the school's RAR program. I would like to get a students perspective about both the school and program.
    Here are some questions:
    1) Why Temple?
    2) What do you like about the school?
    3) What don't you like about the school?
    4) Is it a mentoring atmosphere?

Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. williestyle81

williestyle81 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

4. Lara

Lara Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Sorry I missed this post till now! :) I've gone through the RAR at Temple and will write a nice lengthy post once my embryology final is done. So if there are any other specific questions, ask them in the meantime!

5. williestyle81

7+ Year Member

Hey Lara,
    best wishes on your final!!

I have a couple of questions:
    1) How is the campus/neighborhood?
    2) What about the housing? (rent/condition)
    3) How is the patient exposure/clinical experience?

Thanx so much:)
    -EMW

6. dph201

dph201 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks Williestyle81 for bumping my thread up. I really do appreciate that.

Lara,
    Thank you so much for responding. I look forward to hearing what you have to say. And good luck on your final.

7. dph201

dph201 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Bump

Lara how was your exam??

8. williestyle81

7+ Year Member

bump

LOL... dph, looks like it's only me and you :laugh:

EMW

9. ussdfiant

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    We are in the middle of exams.

10. dph201

dph201 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the info.

11. dph201

dph201 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

12. phllystyl

7+ Year Member

we just had our anatomy final today... have to wait until after histo on wed. ;)

13. dph201

dph201 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

That's fine!! Just didn't want you guys to forget us. Good luck on your finals!!!!

14. williestyle81

7+ Year Member

yes, we will patiently wait :)

15. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    haha, since the temple med students are busy, as a philly native, my sister being an alum, and having interviewed at temple already i'll try to answer one and two.

1) Honestly, Temple is in maybe the worst neighborhood of philadelphia, that being north philly. I dont think anyone would argue with that point. But, thats not something really to worry about, temple is on broad street which is well lit, and the campus is ultra safe.

2) There is no oncampus housing by the med school, and you probably wouldnt want to live terribly close anyways. but, temple med is readily accessible by the orange line subway in philly, and i forgot the actualy price from the tour but they have really cheap and well guarded parking lots for students. philly is a lot more reasonable than new york or dc or something. cool areas of the city to live in include olde city, manayunk, fairmount, etc.

and as far patient/clinical exposure, i'm more speculating on this answer and regurgitating stuff i was told on the tour, but i think temple has a very unique clinical exposure due to the population is serves, that being an indigent inner city patient base. i've been led to believe that your clinical years are very "hands on" as opposed to sitting around and watching. just what has been told to me at least :cool:

16. williestyle81

7+ Year Member

17. dguy101

dguy101 New Member

Hey Everyone,

I'm a Temple fourth year hear. So, I will try to answer as many of your questions as I can

1) yes, the neighborhood is really tough. Anyone who has interviewed there knows that its true. About half of the people live in center city. They take the subway line up to N. Philly, 15 min I think. You will pay a lot more in Center City, but most people that live there have roomates. The other half live in the surrounding areas, Germantown, East Falls, Roxborough, City Line Ave. Most of these students have a ten to twenty minute commute. Honestly, I've never heard of any student in my class having a problem around the campus. It is extremely well guarded by security. You wouldn't want to live around the hospital or medical school. However, it's this neighborhood that gives you so much exposure to so many different things.

2)curriculum, I would call their curriculum more traditional. Although, they are working to shift it to more modern. My first two years were basically lectures with some weekly small group work. Each of the subjects were taught separately. Now they are completely integrating the second year into organ based systems. So, you will cover the path, micro, and pathophys of the heart all at the same time. I think this will work well, and really help the student when taking the boards Step 1. Third year is required clerkships, surgery (12 weeks in a row, brutal if you aren't a surgeon) medicine (12 weeks in a row, brutal if you are going to be a surgeon), psych, peds, family, obgyn (all 6 weeks). Fourth year, required clerkships in Neuro and ER (4 weeks), 5 electives (each 4 weeks long) and SUB I (8 weeks). One thing that is important to know is that you won't be doing all of your rotations at Temple Hospital. There is a lottery system before third and fourth years and your lottery number for each clerkship determines the order that you get to pick you clerkship time and hospital. Some are in suburban medical centers around philly, some are up in allentown, scranton, reading. I had to do half of my med rotation in Pittsburgh. However, I think that you must declare if you are interested in doing clerkships in pittsburgh now when you apply, so, students not enrolled in that program won't have to go there.

Bottom Line, I was extremely happy at Temple. The students get along together well and seem to like each other. You do a tremendous amount on your clerkships. As the above poster said it is extremely hands on. You won't leave Temple without knowing how to draw blood, insert IVs, foleys. As far as matching, I think we do pretty well. I'm applying in IM and have interviews all over the country. Temple has a good reputation with PDs. We have people applying in all areas, most commonly IM, Ortho, Fam, Peds, Gen Surg. But also, Derm, Optho. I will say that our Dermatology training is severely lacking. If you really want to go for Derm I would suggest choosing somewhere else. People do match into Derm, but they have to use a lot of outside sources to get there. As long as you work hard, you can go anywhere you want from here.

I hope that this answered some of your questions. I know that the first years are finishing up their exams. They can probably give you a more recent impression of first year. If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to answer them. Good luck.

18. dph201

dph201 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks so much dguy101. And good luck to you. But the way it sounds I don't think you need luck. Looks like you pretty much got in the bag.

Also thanks to DW for answering the previous questons. Although I didn't post them myself, I still was interested.

19. Lara

Lara Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm so sorry, I got sidetracked after embryo and then had no time between behavioral, anatomy and finally histo (plus today's optional shelf exams)! And now I'm packing to head up north home for Christmas vacation. :D But my post will come, I promise. Thanks DW and dguy for giving some input in the meantime!

20. dph201

dph201 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Take your time Lara. I understand things are kind of hectic. Just post when you are ready. Happy Holidays

21. sunflower79

sunflower79 Plays well with knives
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    what is RAR?

22. dph201

dph201 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hope this answers your question sunflower

Minority Recruitment and Support

The Recruitment, Admissions and Retention (RAR) Program at Temple University School of Medicine is meeting the challenge of providing opportunities for the medical education of minority and other socially disadvantaged students. The primary purpose of our RAR Program is to help the Medical School identify, enroll and graduate physicians from those backgrounds underrepresented in the profession of medicine: African-American, mainland Puerto Rican, Mexican-American and Native American. The year 1996 marked the RAR Program's 25th year of ongoing support services to hundreds of minority applicants and medical students.

Temple is concerned with more than the facade of equal opportunity. It is devoted to its substance - the effort to help minority and other socially disadvantaged students overcome the academic and economic obstacles that are the reasons for their underrepresentation among our nation's physicians.

Since 1971, nearly 500 underrepresented African American and Latino physicians alone completed their medical training at Temple. Of the 126 medical schools in the United States, Temple has been among the "top 10" medical schools to enroll and graduate very large numbers of minority physicians for many years. Over 120 minority medical students attend Temple each year, representing 17% of its total student enrollment. Temple is committed to this leadership role in securing diversity in our student body as well as maintaining excellence in our academic programs.

The RAR Program has staff of full-time Counselors responsible for: increasing the number of minority applicants to our Medical School; maintaining a high level of minority enrollment; and helping promote students' academic successes

23. dph201

dph201 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

24. dph201

dph201 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

25. ussdfiant

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  26. dph201

dph201 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

bump and thanks ussdfiant for bumping me before

27. dph201

dph201 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

28. williestyle81

7+ Year Member

29. Lara

Lara Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Here I am again, finally! Better late than never, sorry. :oops:

I'll start by saying that Temple is a very supportive school for minorities (who make up around a quarter of the class). The RAR has it's own office on the health science campus where you can check out donated textbooks, see old exams, make free photocopies (if the machine works lol), faxes, phone calls, etc. There are also a few computers. The staff's nice and they really do get to know you. If you have any problems they'll want you to come ask for help.

One of the best things the RAR offers is a prematriculation summer program called SERA (summer educational reinforcement activity?) Unless you have some great travel plans I'd definitely go, especially if you're not from Philly. The main advantages are having time to find a place to live, getting a good preview of anatomy and getting to know a group of students from your class. I'm not a particularly outgoing person so this really helped. :) You stay in dorms on the main campus at no charge and are given a stipend for the weeks you are present. I should add that this program isn't totally restricted to URMs, so anyone interested can at least ask about it.

So why Temple? Well, I wanted to be in an East Coast city first of all, and Temple has a pretty great reputation in Philadelphia. The clinical instruction in particular is said to be excellent, but the basic sciences isn't bad either - I'd put up our anatomy class against any school, including Ivys. :) A nice thing is that the students on the whole are pretty laid back, so while the pressure *is* there it could definitely be a lot worse. I'm sure I could think of more stuff to say later!

Disadvantages...well, straight pass/fail rather than H/HP/P/F grading would probably be better. I could have done without a couple of profs, but I'm sure that's the case at any med school. The facilities aren't fancy, and research here isn't top priority (not a problem for me, but something to keep in mind). Probably what would keep most applicants away though is the neighborhood. I'm from Canada, and I think if I could adjust anyone can...but just be aware that this is a poor, predominantly African-American area. It *is* safe if you don't take unecessary risks (ie going off Broad St. after dark because you parked your car in a side street).

I'd say that students typically pay in the $600-800 range for a one-bedroom apartment and $800-1000 for a double. Center city and the suburbs are popular picks, and most of the common choices for apartment complexes can be found in the Philadelphia Apartment Guide (try apartmentguide.com).

That's as much as I can do now, but I think I can finally take the time to go online (I had limited access over the holidays, and have been working on fixing up my place for the last two weeks!) And I know I have a PM to check, but hopefully this post will answer. So I'll be glad to add more info as I can. :)

30. dph201

dph201 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks Lara :)

31. Deuce 007 MD

Deuce 007 MD license to ill
    7+ Year Member

What about the electives during year 1 & 2? Would taking Diagnostic Imaging Techniques year 1 and Intro to Diagnostic Radiology year 2 help me get a rads res. more then going to a school that doesn't offer these electives? Has anyone taken an elective during years 1&2 that helped them match, if so tell us about your experience.