Temple Update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

majik1213

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
temple was cool!

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, this doesn't really make sense to me. So since I received an interview invite in January, and interviewed in January, I am automatically placed lower than someone who interviews later than me in regards to a waitlist?

I know at my interview they did a pretty concise job of describing how it would work from then on out. They would still accept you if they absolutely could not live without you- this would only apply to like 5% of those they interview after the new year.

If you are put on the waitlist (both the people who would have been accepted in the fall and those that would have always been waitlisted), it is a ranked list. Say you needed a score of 15 (I'm just making up numbers) to be accepted in the fall. Today, you need a score of 20 to get an acceptance. However, if you scored a 17, and were subsequently placed on the waitlist, you would get in before anyone who scored lower than a 17 at any point in the year.

There was no mention of high priority waitlist, and I also don't think you would be told you were at the top since they refuse to divulge your rank. In the letter they mail, they just say they have placed you on the 'continuing candidates list'. It seems like the idea is the same as what I just described, but the wording is different and might seem misleading.

The point of this whole long post is generally this: if you interviewed and were waitlisted in the fall, you are not automatically at a disadvantage. Only if a ton of people scored higher than you are you SOL. The rankings will still take precedence, so it is not necessarily better to get waitlisted tomorrow as opposed to two weeks ago.

not sure where to post this, but I just wanted to let people know that Temple is offering interviews for acceptances. I was told so directly by the asst. dean today, who interviewed me .. unfortunately, they have 300 outstanding acceptances, so a new "decision" category has been added, making a total of four:

1. rejection
2. waitlist
3. high priority waitlist (new category)
4. acceptance

for the most part, only a very select few will get into the acceptance range, but those who would have otherwise been accepted now get into the high priority waitlist range .. if you were WL in fall, then I'm sorry to inform you of this new category.

Just wanted to set the record straight.

I am confused by the fact that they have 300 outstanding acceptances. I thought they do not over accept people. I thought they only gave out 180 seats and then waitlisted the rest, thus contributing to high wait list turn over, I also thought this was the reason why they started interviewing only for the waitlist in January!!!!!!!! :mad::scared::mad::(:eek::idea::thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am confused by the fact that they have 300 outstanding acceptances. I thought they do not over accept people. I thought they only gave out 180 seats and then waitlisted the rest, thus contributing to high wait list turn over, I also thought this was the reason why they started interviewing only for the waitlist in January!!!!!!!! :mad::scared::mad::(:eek::idea::thumbdown:

Keep in mind Temple ends up accepting 450-500 applicants to fill up its class. If only 300 people were accepted outright, it means nearly the entire class comes off the waitlist.

As far as the 4th category- it makes perfect sense. If an applicant interviewed back when they still had acceptances available, but was waitlisted, they are not nearly as desirable as an applicant that would have been accepted earlier in the season, but was waitlisted simply due to a full class.

Keep in mind Temple ends up accepting 450-500 applicants to fill up its class. If only 300 people were accepted outright, it means nearly the entire class comes off the waitlist.

As far as the 4th category- it makes perfect sense. If an applicant interviewed back when they still had acceptances available, but was waitlisted, they are not nearly as desirable as an applicant that would have been accepted earlier in the season, but was waitlisted simply due to a full class.

Yeah it makes sense, Temple does it on a points system so as long as you score in the right range your odds of getting in are great. As the year progresses the points that you need for certain things just changes. You just won't get a letter saying you are on the 'high alternate' list, it just says waitlist so don't get discouraged if you don't get a letter specifying a different category. I wish I could get them to tell me if I am a 'high' alternate or just a regular one, but they won't. I've tried :D

Yeah it makes sense, Temple does it on a points system so as long as you score in the right range your odds of getting in are great. As the year progresses the points that you need for certain things just changes. You just won't get a letter saying you are on the 'high alternate' list, it just says waitlist so don't get discouraged if you don't get a letter specifying a different category. I wish I could get them to tell me if I am a 'high' alternate or just a regular one, but they won't. I've tried :D

If your decision letter mentions 'eventual acceptance,' I think it is safe to assume that you are high on the alternate list. In a nut shell, they do tell you where you are. Also, they pick from this list according to the class needs. If it needs to be more diversified, then certain students are picked. For example, if way more females than males, then more males will be selected and vice versa. This was mentioned at my interview

If your decision letter mentions 'eventual acceptance,' I think it is safe to assume that you are high on the alternate list. In a nut shell, they do tell you where you are. Also, they pick from this list according to the class needs. If it needs to be more diversified, then certain students are picked. For example, if way more females than males, then more males will be selected and vice versa. This was mentioned at my interview

Interesting. Did someone at Temple tell you that this phrase is significant?

I just recieved an interview invite today(almost 5 months after I sent in my secondary) and am wondering if it is for a real acceptance, or just for a spot on the waitlist?

I just recieved an interview invite today(almost 5 months after I sent in my secondary) and am wondering if it is for a real acceptance, or just for a spot on the waitlist?

i don't know .. all I know is that I was told that, as an IS I stand a good chance .. you might have a harder time .. temple takes 50% IS and 50% OOS so i'm not in your applicant pool, sorry

if you just received an interview you will interviewing for the waitlist. i interviewed 1/31 and made the waitlist. If you have the money and time, go for it. It cant hurt to gain more interview experience and broaden your acceptance chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting. Did someone at Temple tell you that this phrase is significant?

Yes, this is waitlist that matters. These are the applicants that would have been accepted in the fall. One of the admissions rep. said they rarely pick from the other waitlist.

Yes, this is waitlist that matters. These are the applicants that would have been accepted in the fall. One of the admissions rep. said they rarely pick from the other waitlist.

That's strange, because my waitlist letter mentions the "eventual acceptance" and I interviewed in the fall.

Yep, mine mentions 'eventual acceptance' as well. This is the quote from my letter, the first sentence of the second paragraph:

We realize that you are anxiously awaiting our final letter of selection, and that this anxiety may increase as the interval lengthens between the interview and an eventual acceptance.

I figured this was just their stock way of saying it, to be nice. Can anyone else confirm this phrase, has it or doesnt have it? If everyone has it, I think we can assume it's meaningless...

Majik, why did you go back and edit your original posts?? And can anyone else throw in any speculation as to the phrasing of the waitlist letter??? I'm really hoping that I can get taken off the waitlist and added to the actual class, plan on getting a letter out to them this week since I have it off from school and interviews (finally, a few days freeeeeeee!).

Majik, why did you go back and edit your original posts?? And can anyone else throw in any speculation as to the phrasing of the waitlist letter??? I'm really hoping that I can get taken off the waitlist and added to the actual class, plan on getting a letter out to them this week since I have it off from school and interviews (finally, a few days freeeeeeee!).

because i told the adcom guy, my interviewer at Temple, about SDN forums he wrote it down and said he would check out our forum when he got the chance because he had never before heard of it .. you can PM me

Hi...not sure if this is the right post, but it's the first one with Temple that caught my eye...

I was wondering how long it took for any of you to hear back from Temple after your interview? Also, does your online status change from "Interview Complete" once a decision has been made? Thanks:)

Hi...not sure if this is the right post, but it's the first one with Temple that caught my eye...

I was wondering how long it took for any of you to hear back from Temple after your interview? Also, does your online status change from "Interview Complete" once a decision has been made? Thanks:)

check the acceptance thread for time lags .. usually within a month.

If you're accepted, status will change from Interview Complete to something new (not sure)

If you're waitlisted/rejected, status will change from Interview Complete to Correspondance Mailed

Thanks for the info and quick reply Majik :thumbup:

if you just received an interview you will interviewing for the waitlist. i interviewed 1/31 and made the waitlist. If you have the money and time, go for it. It cant hurt to gain more interview experience and broaden your acceptance chances.

be careful .. they aren't actually interviewing exclusively for the waitlist for two reasons:

1) IS and OOS are in completely different applicant pools, and so they each have different waitlists / present quotas
2) they're offering significantly fewer acceptances for book-keeping purposes, but they're still accepting outstanding applicants (my tour guide said last year the same situation happened but that he got accepted during this so-called WL-only time)

I received an email and my status page was changed to read something like, "Congratulations, etc etc." They seemed to happen at the same time, for what it's worth. And I was notified of this about 10 days after my interview. Good luck.

Thanks annndyr and Congrats!!:D

Ok, so I have a somewhat spazzy question: I am getting a LOInterest ready to send over to Temple, and plan on using the electronic version of 'mailing' it to them using the status page. Would it be overkill to have a transcript from last semester sent over as well? I sent an update letter before I got an interview invitation with my classes and grades listed (I got a 3.91, so it's a nice update), but during my interview my interviewer didn't have that info. I'm not sure if he just didn't read the update letter, or if it didn't make its way into my file. Regardless, is sending both a separate official transcript and LOInterest in one week overkill? Now is just when I know I'll have the time to do these things the right way...

Ok, so I have a somewhat spazzy question: I am getting a LOInterest ready to send over to Temple, and plan on using the electronic version of 'mailing' it to them using the status page. Would it be overkill to have a transcript from last semester sent over as well? I sent an update letter before I got an interview invitation with my classes and grades listed (I got a 3.91, so it's a nice update), but during my interview my interviewer didn't have that info. I'm not sure if he just didn't read the update letter, or if it didn't make its way into my file. Regardless, is sending both a separate official transcript and LOInterest in one week overkill? Now is just when I know I'll have the time to do these things the right way...

If you have a copy of your transcript, I would scan it and upload it to their website with your LOI.

My interviewer had me do that.

If Temple is where you want to be in August, then I don't think you could ever reach overkill with showing the school that you're interested. I'd send it all and then call after a few days to make sure they have it. This is the time of year when schools drop people for lack of interest (IMO).

i actually got the acceptance 4 days after my interview.. they were really quick about it!

i actually got the acceptance 4 days after my interview.. they were really quick about it!

Wow that's great! Congratulations!! I'm still waitin' ;)

I know that for most of us who have interviewed since the new year, it seems like they are sticking pretty close to 2-2.5 weeks to get your letter in the mail. There have been a few exceptions (but they took longer, not shorter) that I know have been posted, but it seems like that is a reasonable time frame to expect at this stage in the game.

I interviewed on 2/12, and still not a peep.

I know that for most of us who have interviewed since the new year, it seems like they are sticking pretty close to 2-2.5 weeks to get your letter in the mail. There have been a few exceptions (but they took longer, not shorter) that I know have been posted, but it seems like that is a reasonable time frame to expect at this stage in the game.

I've got that "eventual acceptance" phrase in my letter, but until I hear of someone that doesn't have it...I won't believe all this commotion about two separate waitlists.

Does anyone out there have a waitlist without that phrase? Or....does anyone out there have a friend that knows a guy whose sister got the waitlist letter without that phrase?

I've got that "eventual acceptance" phrase in my letter, but until I hear of someone that doesn't have it...I won't believe all this commotion about two separate waitlists.

Does anyone out there have a waitlist without that phrase? Or....does anyone out there have a friend that knows a guy whose sister got the waitlist letter without that phrase?

Haha, I agree here. I would like to think that I am special and on a 'better' waitlist, but until someone can confirm that they have a waitlist letter WITHOUT that phrase, I'm believing it's their encouraging phrasing aimed at keeping us from withdrawing from the list...

Hello all,
I wanted to know if anyone who interviewed in the new year has heard anything from Temple?
I checked the acceptance thread and the last person to list an acceptance was in late December.
I interviewed on Feb. 7 and my status is still "interview complete"...any comments?

Hello all,
I wanted to know if anyone who interviewed in the new year has heard anything from Temple?
I checked the acceptance thread and the last person to list an acceptance was in late December.
I interviewed on Feb. 7 and my status is still "interview complete"...any comments?

People have been hearing back...they are only waitlisting and rejecting post-interview now, so that's why there aren't any new acceptances posted. It only took me 2 weeks to the day to get my letter in the mail, but it seems like they have gotten a bit backed up since then (I interviewed back on Jan 17). Your status will change from 'interview complete' to 'correspondence mailed'. Then you know to camp out by the mailbox because your decision is on it's way! Good luck!

Hello all,

this is just a guess, but if you were meant to be rejected or accepted, you would have been notified by now. In general, if you look at the acceptance threads, people who do get into temple find out much faster then the rest of the bunch.

Ever since temple has stopped interviewing for acceptances, some people get waitlisted ultra quick and some do not. I got the waitlist 4 days after my february 28th interview, so I'm assuming I would have otherwise been accepted. Because you interviewed so long ago, I'm assuming you're going to get a low priority waitlist or a rejection when they finally decide. best of luck.

i don't think that's the reason for delays and discrepancies between people. When I called Temple, they told me that I hadn't heard back after 3+ weeks because my interviewer hadn't submitted his/her review yet. She said this is common and they often have delays with some interviewers as they are practicing physicians/researchers and can get caught up. The woman I spoke with said the delay in notification is largely dependent on this, and once the interviewer submits his/her review, it usually doesn't take more than a week or two to get a decision.

Thanks for all the replies! We'll see what happens...;)
Best of luck to everyone!!:)

i don't think that's the reason for delays and discrepancies between people. When I called Temple, they told me that I hadn't heard back after 3+ weeks because my interviewer hadn't submitted his/her review yet. She said this is common and they often have delays with some interviewers as they are practicing physicians/researchers and can get caught up. The woman I spoke with said the delay in notification is largely dependent on this, and once the interviewer submits his/her review, it usually doesn't take more than a week or two to get a decision.

ah yes correct, I remember .. you can disregard my original post .. although i'm tempted to believe that if you really knocked their socks off even the lazier interviewers would want to file their report on you quickly

ah yes correct, I remember .. you can disregard my original post .. although i'm tempted to believe that if you really knocked their socks off even the lazier interviewers would want to file their report on you quickly

i don't know. my whole interview was my interviewer telling me how great my app was and i didn't hear anything back for at least 2 weeks. it just depends.