Temple v. Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medhap

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am trying to decide between the two...any advice on better residencies, more student support, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

This post isn't for real is it?

On the off chance that it is real - Tulane.

I don't know much about Temple, but I am going to Tulane in just 6 weeks (yippee!!). Here's what I think:

Pros:
Tulane is a very student-friendly, laid back, not very competitive place. The clinical experience is top of the line: you get Tulane's Hospitals, Charity Hospital (2nd busiest in the USA), Pineville (no interns or residents, just you!). The reputation seems to be pretty strong (I worked at a place where I'd see a lot of professionals, and they always were impressed to hear I was going to Tulane), and the matchlist is pretty darn good (it's online). The weather is great (if you like it hot, hehe), and the city is of course a blast. Everything just felt right there, and the students were way cooler than I expected.

Cons:
IMHO, the facilities kind of suck, and the library is pretty shabby. The curriculum seems pretty archaic, but the Foundations class seems pretty cool (the mandatory community service is a great idea, I think). It's almost entirely lecture based, and the two kids I stayed with never went to class - that concerns me, because I am paying sooo much money to go there. And that's another thing, Tulane is damn expensive and they hardly give any gift aid (I got 3k in scholarship, the rest was all loans). Oh, and I guess some people just don't like New Orleans or the 'Dirty South' in general. That is something I have no answer for, because I've been dying to move South for a long time.

I am basically going because of the climate and the clinical experience. The only other urban schools that would be comparable (Emory, Vanderbilt, Baylor ...) I had no shot at, so I'm pretty happy with my choice.

I'm sure you'll make the right decision...
Simul

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't been to Temple, but I loved Tulane. I've heard so much good stuff about it from everyone who's gone there. I was going to go there over a number of higher ranked schools. In my eyes there's no comparison. Unless you want to be in Philly for family or something, I'd pick the green wave.

Mikado, why wouldn't you think this post is real?

As for the question, I didn't apply to Temple, but for what it's worth, I loved my interview experience at Tulane, and had a very tough time saying no to them. They do seem to match well, and I've heard that their clinical training is pretty well thought of. Maybe try searching around on interviewfeedback.com for the two schools -- it seems like current med students sometimes check those surveys out and respond about the pros and cons of the schools.

I lived in philly for awhile and I have to say it is a pit compared to New Orleans. I also absolutely loved my interview experience there and up until a few days ago, I too was headed to Tulane.
One word of advice, if you are struggling with the financial aid package, CALL DEAN PISANO. That's what I did when I was trying to decide between Tulane and BU and he offered me a $10,000 per year scholarship on the spot.
One thing I learned this year is if you want something, wheel and deal a little. Good luck, you'll be just fine in either place but I think your lifestyle will be better at Tulane.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I just wanted to hear general opinion on the matter. I am struggling w/ issues mentioned above - finance and family. Deciding on someplace for four years is not easy!

Mikado- this was not in fact a joke!!!!