Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Temple vs. Jefferson???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Parrothead123, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Parrothead123

Parrothead123 Junior Member

I believe I've made my decision, but I would love to hear what some of you think. Thanks for replying!

2. Doctora Foxy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I interviewed at Temple, but not Jefferson. I heard that Jeff has one the best clinical exposures out of all med schools, and they are ranked on USNews if that means anything to you.

I really like Temple when I was there. The student body seemed happy, their anatomy professor is famous and wrote the book that they use (and he teaches the other professors in PA), their professors write some questions on board exams and wrote one of the famous review books, they have a very diverse patient population, their hospital sees all or most of the gunshot wounds in Philly (I belive). Although the area is ghetto, the hospital area is very well lit and has a ton of security. There are shuttles that go to student residences, so you don't even have to drive to class if you don't want to. They are affiliated with the undergrad campus, so you can use their facilities as well. The gym is awesome and they have daily aerobics classes :D

I don't know anything about Jeff--it might have all of the same positives as Temple. I just know that Jeff has the better reputation, and that I loved Temple when I visited.

Hope this helps :)

3. Zack90

Zack90 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'd choose Temple - based on the clinical experience in years 3 and 4. Also, I'd want to avoid Jeff's grading scheme and competitiveness my friends their tell me about.

4. PunkRockDoc

PunkRockDoc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Both schools are great. I'm choosing Temple, based largely on the fact that speaking to doctors around here, they recommend Temple over Jeff for overall experience. Temple's reputation for the clinical years is impeccable. And even though it is in a more run down part of the city, the university hospital sees a lot of action, and there are numerous free clinics where students can work (needle exchange programs and counseling and such).

I was also impressed with the fact that the students at Temple seemed a lot less stressed than those at Jefferson.

5. Dr. Kermit

Dr. Kermit Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was accepted to Temple and MCP. I was placed on hold at Jefferson, but did not wish to remain on that list. IMHO, I would choose Temple over Jefferson. Although it is not ranked, the clinical training is excellent at Temple. The hospital is one of the most highly trafficed hospitals in the area after UPenn. It receives 50-55% of the gunshot victims in Philly, more than Penn. In addition, they have one of the most highly regarded cardiac units in Philly.

I chose not to stay on Jefferson's hold list because they were just ironing out their new grading system. My friend there told me that although it will be H/P/F, the classes will still be ranked. In addition, the location is great for a social life, but the hospitals do not see as much trauma and "special" cases. They are more specialty oriented.

Both of the matchlists were comparable and had I not been accepted to my number one choice, I would have been at Temple this fall.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Parrothead123

Parrothead123 Junior Member

Thanks again for the replies. I am heading to Jefferson after thinking long and hard. I spoke with a doc who went to Jeff and is on the faculty at Temple and he pretty much steered me towards Jeff. I spent time at Temple a few summers ago and was very impressed with it, but what I saw was the residency program, not the med school. I think it's important to differentiate between the two, because lets face it, most of our time as med students are going to be in the books, and our clinical experience is what the residency is for. I was all about Temple since my acceptance letter seven months ago, but I think the best decision is at the school with the better education, which is why i'm going with Jeff. Both schools have excellent clinical educations so I guess I can't go wrong, but Jeff just seems to have their s&%t together. In the past seven months, i have heard nothing from Temple. In the last two weeks, I have gotten about 5 letters from Jeff with info from financial aid to housing, to a congratulatory letter from the dean.

Any more comments would be greatly appreciated!