Temple Vs. Rush (new curriculum)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent#55

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been lucky enough to be accepted to both of these programs and would like to hear any insight from current/past students. I love both cities and am fully aware of Temple being in not so desirable of a location (I would live center city and take public transport to school). My "feel" of both of the schools on interview day was great. Cost is nearly identical. Both schools seem like they offer great clinical exposure starting early on and into third/forth year. Where I would like some further input would be regarding the new curriculum at Rush and research opportunities at both programs. I have always been an independent learner but don’t mind the idea of a “flipped” curriculum if its executed efficiently. I never went to class in undergrad and always just read on my own, so I’m leaning more towards Temples traditional style curriculum where lectures aren’t mandatory, but am open to any and all opinions!

Any input regarding either of these programs would extremely helpful!

Temple

Pros
  • Facilities
  • Clinical exposure
  • Love the city
  • P/F, established curriculum
  • Great feel from students/faculty
Cons
  • Cost

Rush
Pros
  • Clinical exposure
  • RUMC/Cook county
  • Love the city (More so then Philly)
  • P/F
Cons
  • Cost
  • New curriculum (Maybe not a con but more of a question)
  • Mandatory Lecture

Members don't see this ad.

Mandatory lecture is a death sentence

Reactions: 4 users
When I interviewed at Rush a few months ago, we were told that they are getting rid of lectures entirely. When did you interview and who told you lectures would be mandatory?

When I interviewed at Rush a few months ago, we were told that they are getting rid of lectures entirely. When did you interview and who told you lectures would be mandatory?

Sorry, I should have clarified. You are correct, there are no lectures with the flipped curriculum but all of the group activity is mandatory

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I should have clarified. You are correct, there are no lectures with the flipped curriculum but all of the group activity is mandatory
Yes. And from what I remember they meet from noon-4 or 5pm four times a week, which leaves little time for other activities such as research and volunteering. I've been offered a significant scholarship from Rush, but the mandatory group activities make me very hesitant to attend. Also, I don't like that lectures have been done away with entirely.

I have been lucky enough to be accepted to both of these programs and would like to hear any insight from current/past students. I love both cities and am fully aware of Temple being in not so desirable of a location (I would live center city and take public transport to school). My "feel" of both of the schools on interview day was great. Cost is nearly identical. Both schools seem like they offer great clinical exposure starting early on and into third/forth year. Where I would like some further input would be regarding the new curriculum at Rush and research opportunities at both programs. I have always been an independent learner but don’t mind the idea of a “flipped” curriculum if its executed efficiently. I never went to class in undergrad and always just read on my own, so I’m leaning more towards Temples traditional style curriculum where lectures aren’t mandatory, but am open to any and all opinions!

Any input regarding either of these programs would extremely helpful!

Temple

Pros
  • Facilities
  • Clinical exposure
  • Love the city
  • P/F, established curriculum
Cons
  • Cost

Rush
Pros
  • Clinical exposure
  • RUMC/Cook county
  • Love the city (More so then Philly)
  • P/F
Cons
  • Cost
  • New curriculum (Maybe not a con but more of a question)
  • Mandatory Lecture
If i May ask what was your gpa ? And mcat ? I’m too a pre-med

YOU DO NOT WANT TO GO TO A SCHOOL TRYING TO ESTABLISH A NEW CURRICULUM.

I say go to temple. I was also accepted to Rush and the new Rush curriculum sounds SO risky. I also fell in love with DT Chicago, the facilities, and the people, but it's not worth it for a miserable mandatory flipped classroom preclinical years imo. Also at the interview, it sounded to me that they were having many hiccups with it.

YOU DO NOT WANT TO GO TO A SCHOOL TRYING TO ESTABLISH A NEW CURRICULUM.

I say go to temple. I was also accepted to Rush and the new Rush curriculum sounds SO risky. I also fell in love with DT Chicago, the facilities, and the people, but it's not worth it for a miserable mandatory flipped classroom preclinical years imo. Also at the interview, it sounded to me that they were having many hiccups with it.

I don't mind the idea of a flipped classroom at all, but mandatory attendance is something that I am concerned about. I also got the impression that they were having hiccups but imo thats to be expected with a new curriculum. Hopefully a majority of them will be worked out by next year.

Any input from current Temple students?