Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Temple Vs. SUNY Buffalo (or Upstate or downstate)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by StPlayrXtreme, Dec 11, 2008.

1. StPlayrXtreme

5+ Year Member

Hi guys...I just got an interview invite from Temple, but I'm already in at three SUNY Schools (Buffalo, Upstate, and Downstate).

Buffalo offered me a $3000 merit scholarship, bringing tuition down to about $16,000 before any need based aid is applied. So, of the three I'm leaning towards Buffalo or Upstate...Downstate was great clinically, but I didn't get warm fuzzy feelings.

Temple would be significantly more expensive, and I spent some time browsing around on both websites. But I don't think I have a very good feel for Temple yet.

Do you think Temple is worth a visit? Or do you think I'm better off sticking with the cheaper in-state tuition?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Tekbright510

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I enjoyed my interview experience at Temple University. For what it's worth, the class of 2013 will get to break in a brand new medical school building.

When I interviewed there, I got the feel that a Temple student would get exposed to a variety of cases during their clinical years as a result of Temple being a Level 1 Trauma center in North Philly. I felt that kind of exposure may get one better prepared to face the rigors of residency. The student body is diverse but seemed to be motivated by a genuine desire to serve.

Tuition and cost of living is expensive and that may eventually be the deterring factor for many applicants to Temple. Hope this helps and good luck in your decision.

4. DarkKnight11087

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Temple does have brand new facilities opening in May, meaning theyll prolly be the most technologically advanced medical school until other one is built. The only downside is that when i interviewed we had a financial aid advisor come and speak to us and she told us the average yearly cost for a temple student including tuition,living,food books and evreything is about 72,000 a year which i thought was insane when compared to the 18,800 tuition of Suny Schools.

5. Tekbright510

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I forgot to mention this in my earlier post but SUNY tuitions have increased partly due to the sluggish state of our economy. I recently read an article about that. I believe tuition starting next year may be 21,000+ for SUNY medical schools.

6. zzeyfzz

zzeyfzz Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hi - I'm a Temple grad, and I would say that the schools that you have gotten into have reputations just as good as Temple. Given that you are going to end up paying a lot less with the SUNY schools, I would choose one of them. Temple is going to have some nice new facilities, but that's just a frill. The education will likely be the same wherever you go . . . I'd go with coming out of school with the least debt. I do think that Temple provides great pathology, but I'm sure that at least Downstate will give you the same experience. Can't say much about the other two because I haven't visited them. I would go with the cheaper tuition for sure.

7. suubchb

2+ Year Member

#6 suubchb, May 5, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011