Temple vs U of Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which would you rather go to?

• Temple with scholarship

Votes: 21 38.2%
  • U of Rochester

Votes: 34 61.8%

• Total voters

DeterminedMD

Vacation time yet?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So everyone....whaddya think? Temple with scholarship or U of Rochester?
I figured I would join in on the ___ vs ___ polls ;) .List pros/cons, etc . I guess part of my problem is that I really really disliked the Rochester area.

Members don't see this ad.

For me this question is ridiculous. I loved rochester and if you care about ranking, it's up there. i didn't like temple at all. and it was under probation a couple years ago. Even with the scholarship, which must be significant for such a dilemma, temple is still really expensive.

patrickstarfish said:
For me this question is ridiculous. I loved rochester and if you care about ranking, it's up there. i didn't like temple at all. and it was under probation a couple years ago. Even with the scholarship, which must be significant for such a dilemma, temple is still really expensive.

Im outta state for both schools. Tuition is pretty much the same. So, yeah the scholarship does make a difference. As for Temple being under probation, they have fixed the problems. And those didnt really have to do with the qulaity of education/training received. Hmmmmm...not sure what to do

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like you like Temple more. I say go to where you see yourself being. Don't listen to rankings, past problems. etc. The scholarship money is just icing on the cake for Temple. I gave up Rochester to go to Einstein. Good luck with your choice!

I can't say anything about Rochester, but I would say it seems that you are asking this because you do like Temple, but the majority of this website would make you think that you'd be insane to choose Temple over a ranked school...thus the dilemma. I also gave up a "better" school for Temple, based on gut feeling and other stuff, so don't be scared to listen to your heart. Which do YOU like more?

Call me crazy...but my gut says Temple. So I think I m sticking to it. In the end no matter how good a school is, the amount of effort, etc that one puts into it plays a large factor on what you get out of it.

how significant is the scholarship? By that I mean how much, if it's a whole lot of money, then mind as well go with temple.

I've heard Temple is in a crappy area of Philly that's not that nice and has a high crime rate (if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me; especially the people who replied who said they are at Temple)
my cousin had his apartment broken into while he was home and was held at gunpoint while they were taking his stuff, this was while is was at Temple for dental school around 8-10 years ago, something like that

I went to Rochester for undergrad, just out of curiousity what don't you like about it?
Also, if you're curious about anything, feel free to pm me

as has been discussed in many other threads before ...
cardsurgguy said:
how significant is the scholarship? By that I mean how much, if it's a whole lot of money, then mind as well go with temple.

I've heard Temple is in a crappy area of Philly that's not that nice and has a high crime rate (if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me; especially the people who replied who said they are at Temple)
yes, temple is in a crappy area of philly. thats what happens when you own up to all those times you said "i want to care for people who need it most." if you wanna take a more utilitarian argument, this allows you to do a whole hell of a lot of hands-on learning.
my cousin had his apartment broken into while he was home and was held at gunpoint while they were taking his stuff, this was while is was at Temple for dental school around 8-10 years ago, something like that
right. thats why nobody actually lives by temple med. most of us live in manayunk/roxborough, center city, east falls, etc. your cousin was a cheapskate.
I went to Rochester for undergrad, just out of curiousity what don't you like about it?
Also, if you're curious about anything, feel free to pm me
additionally, she never posts here anymore, but you (the op) should pm karategirl -- she had to decide specifically b/w temple and rochester, as i remember, and had nearly the same dilemma as the op.

rochester has a great underserved pop too. lot of nice trauma too. i did some ems training at strong - what a great ed! has *windows*!!!! clinical rotations start 2nd term MS1 at roch - pretty schweet. very cheap in roch. friends of mine got a nice old 3 bedroom house in nice area for under $80K! take up cross country skiing and the snow wont be so bad. :cool:

u like temple better so go there. i know nothin bout temple, but i did heart rochester.

i ended up chosing affordability & guts over ranking myself.

gluck :luck:

Disclaimer: I have chosen to go to Temple next year over three other schools, so I have a bias.

That being said, I think finances should play a role. In four years, you will be a doctor, regardless of where you went to school. I think graduates do well at both schools, if they want it enough. So, where do you want to put the money? It's your call.

U. roch undergrad here.

I just want to say that I hope you dont think "rochester sucks" compared to Phili.

ROchester is an awesome city and I had a great time as a UG. YOu will also live MUCH cheaper than in phili, but no scholarship, so good luck.

Well yes Philly is in a bad area, but like someone else mentioned, that is why you dont live near the school. And the commuting doesnt bother me. Coming from southern california I am used to it. That being said, I found the weather very depressing. Living anywhere where it snows is a big enough change for me. But the amoun of snowfall per year in Rochester would most likely drive me insane. For othersit may not be a big deal, but I am used to mild weather and a good amount of sunshine. When I was in Rochester I didnt get a sense that I would enjoy being there. As for the school itself....definitely have a unique curiculum which I liked, but I felt more comfortable at Temple. I am not sure why. I just did. Yeah, Temple offered me a scholarship which is definitely nice. But in the end that wasnt what made me go there. I got accepted to NYMC with scholarship as well and I turned them down too. That was before I even knew I had a scholarship to Temple. Again, I just felt more comfortable there. So regardless of school rankings, I am sticking with Temple.

DeterminedMD said:
Well yes Philly is in a bad area, but like someone else mentioned, that is why you dont live near the school. And the commuting doesnt bother me. Coming from southern california I am used to it. That being said, I found the weather very depressing. Living anywhere where it snows is a big enough change for me. But the amoun of snowfall per year in Rochester would most likely drive me insane. For othersit may not be a big deal, but I am used to mild weather and a good amount of sunshine. When I was in Rochester I didnt get a sense that I would enjoy being there. As for the school itself....definitely have a unique curiculum which I liked, but I felt more comfortable at Temple. I am not sure why. I just did. Yeah, Temple offered me a scholarship which is definitely nice. But in the end that wasnt what made me go there. I got accepted to NYMC with scholarship as well and I turned them down too. That was before I even knew I had a scholarship to Temple. Again, I just felt more comfortable there. So regardless of school rankings, I am sticking with Temple.

:thumbup: :thumbup: See you at Orientation! :D