Temple vs. UMDNJ-RWJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theunderdog

Medical Student (Slave)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I liked both programs, but having trouble deciding between the two. One thing that sticks out about Temple is that their vacation time is 2 weeks total.

Can anyone contribute their opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

I liked both programs, but having trouble deciding between the two. One thing that sticks out about Temple is that their vacation time is 2 weeks total.

Can anyone contribute their opinions?

I dont know much about RWJ, but if you search SDN for Temple, you will find some rather interesting things, that you may/may not have confirmed on your interview date.

RWJ is a solid reputable program on the Northeast. Not yet on the level of Cornell, Columbia, MGH, and the big dogs, but it is mid-tier. Strongest program in NJ however. I did a backsearch on Temple a few weeks ago, and on the interview trail impressions, there was only a single review of Temple. To summarize, Temple's location in north philly is the program's drawback, but the residents seem happy. I don't know much about Temple, but I heard from another program director that it is solid. Fellowship matches, as shown at its website, are excellent.

The backsearch on the interview trail impressions surprised me on a few programs. One particularly was Penn. There is a thread pertaining to 5 interns leaving Penn, and the entire thread is largely devoted to the malignancy of the program. This was a shock for me to read, but I guess it opened my eyes a bit.

Sorry to digress, but frankly OP, there isn't much on Temple or RWJ on the backsearch.

Can anyone else comment on these two programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
RWJ is a solid reputable program on the Northeast. Not yet on the level of Cornell, Columbia, MGH, and the big dogs, but it is mid-tier. Strongest program in NJ however. I did a backsearch on Temple a few weeks ago, and on the interview trail impressions, there was only a single review of Temple. To summarize, Temple's location in north philly is the program's drawback, but the residents seem happy. I don't know much about Temple, but I heard from another program director that it is solid. Fellowship matches, as shown at its website, are excellent.

The backsearch on the interview trail impressions surprised me on a few programs. One particularly was Penn. There is a thread pertaining to 5 interns leaving Penn, and the entire thread is largely devoted to the malignancy of the program. This was a shock for me to read, but I guess it opened my eyes a bit.

Sorry to digress, but frankly OP, there isn't much on Temple or RWJ on the backsearch.

Can anyone else comment on these two programs?
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=645672
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=475900
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=507854

I already saw all three of those threads. I had contributed to both of the first two threads you listed back in the day. Those compare mainly Philly programs, but not much information. The third thread was started by a person who is now banned. None of the three provide any info on RWJ.

Thanks for your help, but I'm looking for somebody else that can contribute in a more significant way. I've already exhausted the search engine.

I already saw all three of those threads. I had contributed to both of the first two threads you listed back in the day. Those compare mainly Philly programs, but not much information. The third thread was started by a person who is now banned. None of the three provide any info on RWJ.

Thanks for your help, but I'm looking for somebody else that can contribute in a more significant way. I've already exhausted the search engine.

Sure thing bro...keep looking ;)

Hey theunderdog,
I'm a 4th year at RWJ and just interviewed at Temple, so maybe I can help!
Basically the programs seem very similar. Let me start by saying that I LOVE RWJ and would probably stay here except that I'm super-interested in GI and am couples matching so would like to stay in the same area for fellowship - and they don't usually take a lot of their own for GI. They do match very well though - in GI as well. The main things I like about RW are the residents are all really nice and very verrry supportive of each other. Both RW and Temple have great didactics programs, RWJ has the unique "board review" every morning for seniors. The computer program at RWJ is very modern, vs. temples was MS-dos based. (no progress notes on computers yet at RWJ but we're getting there!). The location would probably be a big deciding factor for a lot of people - they're pretty different (city vs suburban) so you may want to consider where you want to live). I love living in new brunswick - there's a ton of bars/restaurants and it's like the nexus of all the major highways in the area so very easy to get places. I'm actually interviewing at RW soon so I'll let you know if they give a fair picture of the place :) That's all I can think of now, but feel free to PM me with specific questions because I know this was really short and basic. All in all I would say I far preferred RWJs program to Temples when taking the GI match out of the equation, and I still may stay here regardless because it's a very friendly program with a pretty diverse population and great teaching.

Thanks Pepper. I'm going to PM you. But the info you provided so far has been very helpful!