Temporary dental registration in Boston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lasjy

Mr. Data
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey people,
i have heard news....or rumours.....that in boston foreign trained dentists can get temporary registration to practice in dental community centers until they obtain admission into dental colleges. is this true ??? does it apply only to permanent residents and citizens only??? anyone with information on this please reply :confused:

thanx
lasjy

Members don't see this ad.

Section 45A. An applicant for limited registration under this section who is eighteen years of age or over and of good moral character who shall furnish the board with satisfactory proof that he has received a diploma from the faculty of a reputable dental college as defined in section forty-six and who shall furnish the board with satisfactory proof that he has been employed as a member of the faculty of a dental college accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Dental and Dental Auxiliary Educational Programs of the American Dental Association or that he has been appointed a dental intern in a hospital or other institution maintained by the commonwealth or by a county or municipality thereof, or in a hospital or dental infirmary incorporated under the laws of the commonwealth, may upon payment of a fee to be determined annually by the commissioner of administration under the provision of section three B of chapter seven be registered by the board as a limited registrant for one year; provided, however, that practice under any such original or renewal limited registration so issued by the board shall be limited to no longer than five years unless said applicant passes a clinical examination administered by the board or is a full time faculty member. Such limited registration shall entitle said applicant to practice dentistry only in the hospital or other institution designated on his registration and under the direction of a registered dentist employed therein. Limited registration under this section may be revoked at any time by the board and a holder of such a limited registration shall not practice dentistry in a private dental office or private dental clinic; provided, however, that a full time faculty member may participate in, and only in, an intramural group dental practice which is operated, managed and physically located within a nonprofit dental educational or research institution and their affiliated hospitals in which the full time faculty member is employed.

?????????????
section 46 :confused: :confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think any recognised Dental college in India would qualify under this section. They are not asking for ADA recognised schools (obvoiusly, if you are from a ADA approved school, you dont have to apply for Limited registration)

Chapter 112: Section 46 Reputable dental college; definition

Section 46. A dental college shall be considered reputable which possesses the following qualifications:

First, It shall be incorporated and authorized by its charter to confer degrees of doctor of dental medicine, doctor of dental surgery or doctor of dental science.

Second, It shall have a competent faculty and corps of instructors. The teaching staff shall deliver a comprehensive and satisfactory course of lectures supplemented by adequate clinical and laboratory exercises in all subjects pertaining to modern dentistry.

Third, It shall give a course of not less than four separate academic years to matriculants who are graduates of accredited high schools or who present proof of equivalent training, or a course of not less than three separate academic years to matriculants who present satisfactory proof of having successfully completed two years of appropriate pre-dental training in a college or university authorized to grant degrees. Each academic year shall consist of not less than thirty-two weeks.

The administrative policy of the dental college shall be such as to accomplish the requirements of this section.

Now the question is if the Massachusets dental board ACTUALLY puts this theory onto practice?

meggs said:
Now the question is if the Massachusets dental board ACTUALLY puts this theory onto practice?

excellent question

From where did you hear this lasjy?I think the BU students should be knowing better....hope some one replies... :)

Hi
I got accepted to the BU MSD in dental Public Health program and I was told that with this program I will get a temporary licence to practice dentistry in community services which is allowed by the MA state(renewal 5 yrs). But the pay is very low and the amount I would end up paying at BU will not be recovered.

Cheers
Princess

princess said:
Hi
I got accepted to the BU MSD in dental Public Health program and I was told that with this program I will get a temporary licence to practice dentistry in community services which is allowed by the MA state(renewal 5 yrs). But the pay is very low and the amount I would end up paying at BU will not be recovered.

Cheers
Princess

when u say low pay how much do u get payed by the hour

do u have to be an MA resident and / or dental public health student to get this opportunity ? :confused:

hey pinktooth,

i heard about this from one of my batch mates. she is US citizen and she is writing her part 1 in july. she wanted to work somewhere until she gets admission into dental school the next year. one of her relatives in boston had told her about something like this so she asked me to find out.

lasjy

princess said:
Hi

Cheers
Princess

I knew somewhere had to be a catch! I bet there's even more of those hidden somewhere in the process. You'll only have to start it to find out the catches! :p

hi!
I did inquiry in Mass board before 6 month . They told me that you have to find out position by your self in any school , gov hospital or at any community service hos. & then with the position in hand you have to apply for limited liscence registration. then they will approve it .Before that you have to pass a law exam. you can order a book for it from there library. & they also provide a book that has list of all gov. clinic, hospital where we can call up for position. I tried that but half of the number were changed or dissconected & also half of clinic from that list doesnt have dental clinic. finally i drop the plan to do so. If any one has idea how we can get the position then plase reply.

thanks.
ivshah.

Hi, Ivshah. Can you sell me the book with " list of clinics". I want to try this too. Let's do this together. Maybe we can find out something. My email: [email protected]

Hello, i lived in boston what you gays looking is limited licence in dentistry in mass are in the web but is very dificult to get this now?

hi!
I have books but its in boston & i am not in boston right now. but u can call board to find out name of books. ask them to send whole packet of info for this liscence. in that they have name of book, phone no & other info about which exam u have to pass & all..........

thanks.

Thanks, pendejodo and ivshah. So what are you guys doing or plan to do before you get into school. I really want to get to some places to practice, even though they pay you low. As long as you can practice and gain more experience, it's good.

dental assisting is a good option now those day pay 20$ an hour.....va agency rdh

I know RDH. But they don't have too many long-term job. They only call you whenever they have a job. Usually just one day or two days.