Temporary hemodialysis catheter size

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leviathan

Drinking from the hydrant
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed we have these 11 French Niagra vascaths lying in our stock room, but I always use the 13 French. Is there any reason to use the 11 French beyond if you're worried about bleeding or ability to get a larger catheter in?

Members don't see this ad.

I've noticed we have these 11 French Niagra vascaths lying in our stock room, but I always use the 13 French. Is there any reason to use the 11 French beyond if you're worried about bleeding or ability to get a larger catheter in?

The only time a smaller french would be better is if the hole configuration were different. Those dialysis catheters that only have an end-hole often have problems clotting. Those which have side holes as well end holes tend not to. So if the 11 French has side holes and the 13 french doesn't, perhaps the 11 french would be reasonable.

As you allude to, your flow charactersitics are going to be better with a larger bore catheter. We used to use 14.5 french and even in little old ladies these went in without issues. We moved to these after repeated issues with the smaller bore catheters clotting or having low flow.