Temporary insurance for residency? cheap options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bulldog

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I won't have insurance at my residency program for 60-90 days after I start...really sucks. My current carrier wants $1k for 3 months of coverage...pretty ridiculous. Anyone know where I can get cheaper coverage?

Members don't see this ad.

Just type in "temporary health insurance" or something similar into a search engine and you will get a ton of options. I used ehealthinsurance.com for my wife. This isn't high quality insurance though, I am talking major medical only. Our plan has like a 1500 dedutible and then pays 80%. the only reason we got it was in case of something crazy happening. If you have health issues or need something more than you may have to pay 1K for it. I think we payed 150 for 3 months.

Im in the same boat, one month without insurance, from june to july. Dont want anything crazy to happen in that time period!!!

i'm pretty healthy guy. can't believe that the 1k the student health insurance company charges for graduates for 3 months of gap coverage is nearly halfof what I've been paying as a student for a full year of coverage. terrible.

Cobra is expensive (in my experience about 300 bucks/month) but it ensures that you will have complete coverage for up to 18 mo after the end of your current coverage as long as you pay the bill. This ensures you never have an "uninsured period" where something bad happens and makes you "uninsurable" for the rest of your life. I thought it was worth it to suck it up and pay rather than spend time figuring out which of the cut-rate insurances. Especially if you have ANY preexisting condition...asthma etc. Even stuff that is not giving you much trouble now could potentially give you difficulties with insurance down the line if your policy lapses at all. Good luck.