Temporary License after graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jacqs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I just wanted to know your thoughts on obtaining a temporary license. I graduate May 2014, but unable to take the NPTE until late July 2014. With finances as an issue I can't just wait 2.5 months and study the whole time (nor will working as a tech cut it out). I have a 10 week rotation as part of my capstone prior to graduating and I plan on using that time to continue studying for the exam (I've already started during my consecutive three 10 weeks rotations that I am currently in - we go back to class in January, and then one more rotation before May). Just wanted to know your thoughts and advice on this issue. I am confident to get a temp but a few from the last graduating class at my school chose that route and the majority decided to wait until testing time in July.

Help!

Members don't see this ad.

It has been done and done successfully. Totally up to you. I am doing my NPTE for my first try in Oct. so I cannot say for certain if I was successful, but I have friends who worked and passed in July.

Does Texas not have temporary licensure? I know Florida just passed it in 2012 and not every state has it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, Texas has temp licensing. I personally used that time to just study, but plenty of my classmates started working right away and did just fine on the test. Go for it.

DPTErudition, do you by chance have an idea of the types of settings/companies your classmates went into during their temp? I would ideally like to work in a large hospital acute setting.

I actually got my PTLA (e.g. temp license) in CA while I was studying for the NPTE, b/c of the exact reasons you stated (can't sit around for 3 months without making money)! Personally, it worked out great for me... the main thing for me was to come up with a plan on how to manage my time in the clinic with study/practice test time. I ended up working approximately 3 months as a temp (which also gets paid much better!) by time all of my licensing paperwork processed. So for me, I was able to make significantly more money with a temp license (rather than a PT tech/aid). And, yes I did pass the boards, once again, just make sure you manage your time well.. which you should be an expert on now :). I ended up taking 7 practice tests (on the weekends) while working with a temp license. 2 scorebuilders, 3 O'sullivan, and 2 PEAT. I usually took the practice test on Saturday, and reviewed it on Sunday. Best of luck to you!!!

Most of them worked in outpatient, but a couple of them work at large hospitals in Dallas. You should ask your potential employer if you could have a couple of half days so you can study also.

2 things to consider:
How are you at taking tests?
Would you be working in a setting where you have done an affiliation?
I took the exam in July and elected not to go for the temporary license mainly because I wanted a break before I started working for the next 30 years. Because I know that test taking comes easily to me and I retain information well I took a couple of vacations and then dedicated about 3 weeks to full time studying. I did quite well on the exam. I have a friend who got a temp license and took a job in an acute rehab setting where she had not previously worked or done an affiliation. She was incredibly stressed out because on top of seeing a full caseload she wound up staying late at work most days to complete her documentation/familiarize herself with their systems and policies and therefore was not able to keep up with her study schedule. She passed the exam, but just barely.
Just be sure that you are going to be able to meet your needs in terms of studying. An extra 2 months of pay is not worth failing the exam over, but if you feel confident in your knowledge and abilities, by all means, go get paid!

I definitely think it is a personal decision. For me, I graduate in December (so close!!) and take the boards at the end of January, so the temporary license isn't worth it for me. I would rather spend my 8 weeks studying for the boards without interruption (Although, I do have a potential job offer that they may want me to start at an aid rate prior to getting my license... will have to see how that all works out). But, I think that if I had more time between graduation and taking the boards I would consider it. You definitely need to make sure you have excellent time management so that you can work and study at the same time!

Hi guys, I just wanted to know your thoughts on obtaining a temporary license. I graduate May 2014, but unable to take the NPTE until late July 2014. With finances as an issue I can't just wait 2.5 months and study the whole time (nor will working as a tech cut it out). I have a 10 week rotation as part of my capstone prior to graduating and I plan on using that time to continue studying for the exam (I've already started during my consecutive three 10 weeks rotations that I am currently in - we go back to class in January, and then one more rotation before May). Just wanted to know your thoughts and advice on this issue. I am confident to get a temp but a few from the last graduating class at my school chose that route and the majority decided to wait until testing time in July.

Help!
Jacqs -- I recently graduated in May 2013 and took boards in July. I'd say about 75% of our class were working prior to the exam on the temporary license. I started working in late August and was still under a temp license for a week or two because it takes forever (in some states) to get the license mailed to you. People worked in all the various settings prior to taking the board exam. Many people got lucky and were working part-time prior to the exam; however many were forced to work full-time shifts if they wanted to stay on board. It's very likely the place that hires you under the temporary license is looking at you in the long-term too, so make that a selling point during the interview. Everyone in my class passed with flying colors. Obviously with a job plus studying, you take the sacrifice of reduced social/entertainment time. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!

I got my temporary license and was able to work PRN in the same clinic where I had just finished my last rotation. They had a need, and I was 100% familiar with the setting... and most of the patients. It worked out great, but it was really low stress because I was comfortable there. Additionally, I had the option of saying 'no' to hours as my test date got closer or if I just wanted a break. It was nice to have income, and it's good to not stay in to study all day everyday!

While I'm sure it varies by state, it took a few weeks between graduation and arrival of my temp license too. So keep in mind that you may have to wait a bit anyway. It's not immediately available to you after graduating.