Temporary nationwide suspension of CRNA physician supervision requirement effective immediately

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2.0%

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
"The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services is temporarily removing regulatory requirements to give hospitals a greater ability to treat an influx of patients with COVID-19 while also treating those needing other care. The changes apply immediately for the duration of the emergency declaration.
CMS is waiving the requirements that a certified registered nurse anesthetist is under the supervision of a physician. This will allow CRNAs to function to the fullest extent allowed by the state, and free up physicians from the supervisory requirement"

Members don't see this ad.

Does that make sense!?! I see you guys are getting laid off or down to reduced hours and now crnas are getting incr hours? What? Are these guys going to swan into icu and save dying patients with their icu knowledge of ards, vent, fluid balance, pocus etc?

Hiw do crnas know and can do that if ye guys aren't doing it?

I'm guessing they want them as mobile tube squads for Emerg and some kind of PA in ICU that can't do much but easier to redeploy and cheaper than you

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm thinking this is due to the critical shortage of ICU personnel, considering CRNA's are former critical care nurses. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense. I mean, there's hardly any OR volume at all.

I'm thinking this is due to the critical shortage of ICU personnel, considering CRNA's are former critical care nurses. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense. I mean, there's hardly any OR volume at all.

Along those lines I'm guessing it's so that they can intubate or do other ICU midlevel stuff without needing a physician to supervise or cosign their notes.

However, even given this emergency I think it sets a terrible precedent, and they shouldn't have done it unless anesthesia departments in the hot zones under the current supervisory model aren't meeting the needs of the ICU (which I cant imagine is the case given the low OR volume)

Last edited:
Physician Services. CMS is waiving requirements under 42 CFR §482.12(c)(1)–(2) and
§482.12(c)(4), which requires that Medicare patients be under the care of a physician.
This waiver may be implemented so long as it is not inconsistent with a state’s emergency
preparedness or pandemic plan. This allows hospitals to use other practitioners to the
fullest extent possible.

• Anesthesia Services. CMS is waiving requirements under 42 CFR §482.52(a)(5), §485.639(c)
(2), and §416.42 (b)(2) that a certified registered nurse anesthetist (CRNA) is under the
supervision of a physician in paragraphs §482.52(a)(5) and §485.639(c)(2). CRNA supervision
will be at the discretion of the hospital and state law. This waiver applies to hospitals,
CAHs, and Ambulatory Surgical Centers (ASCs). These waivers will allow CRNAs to function
to the fullest extent of their licensure, and may be implemented so long as they are not
inconsistent with a state’s emergency preparedness or pandemic plan.

This country is soooooo stupid beyond comprehension. Midlevels going to use this to finally get independence.

Reactions: 1 users
I file this under the administration relaxing/suspending almost every rule they can find.

But it still does not remove state laws that are applicable or (what is usually more relevant) hospital policies/bylaws that require physician supervision.

Word to the wise....new and graduating residents - you're phucked.

• Hmm
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Just a temporary change. Things will go back to normal once all this calms down?

LOL CRNAs are not going to let this one go, this is what they've been fighting for all along and now handed to them on a golden platter. Death of medicine, death of Anesthesia. Same way like EPA's regulatory capacity is now "temporarily" suspended with no timeline, ain't coming back if big corporate can help it.

Reactions: 2 users
I wouldn’t worry about this in the immediate period. There is minimal cases going on right now we have plenty of physicians to cover them and no reason to let anesthetists step out of their lane. If we were at war and our hospitals were packed with injured soldiers maybe it would be different. Even when it gets horrendous, the same will be true. I expect anesthetists will get drafted into ICU nursing or something similar to ICU NPs if places are desperate enough. I don’t see anywhere allowing them to be a makeshift “intensivist”

The KEY to all of this will be to ensure this is reversed going forward. I think it will be along with everything else - you can’t have hospitals going rampant and operating without much oversight during good times. It’ll create ridiculous monopolistic markets if they aren’t there already.

This is truly a red herring. Focus on the problem at hand. Or say the sky is falling, but I’ll note it’s the same ol’ crew saying the same crap.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here you go....
head_up_your_ass2.jpg

Word to the wise....new and graduating residents - you're phucked.

AMC CEO- “Should we lay off the $400k a year Anesthesiologist or the $200k a year Anesthetist??? Oooh, I know!!!.....”

I wouldn’t worry about this in the immediate period. There is minimal cases going on right now we have plenty of physicians to cover them and no reason to let anesthetists step out of their lane. If we were at war and our hospitals were packed with injured soldiers maybe it would be different. Even when it gets horrendous, the same will be true. I expect anesthetists will get drafted into ICU nursing or something similar to ICU NPs if places are desperate enough. I don’t see anywhere allowing them to be a makeshift “intensivist”

The KEY to all of this will be to ensure this is reversed going forward. I think it will be along with everything else - you can’t have hospitals going rampant and operating without much oversight during good times. It’ll create ridiculous monopolistic markets if they aren’t there already.

This is truly a red herring. Focus on the problem at hand. Or say the sky is falling, but I’ll note it’s the same ol’ crew saying the same crap.

Eyes Wide Shut!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That honestly makes the most sense, they’re highly experienced in intubation and do fine with the straightforward surgeries these patients are going to need (appys, etc) while you are a highly trained physician with skills that transcend the OR. This minimizes your exposure to the higher risk procedures and potential transmission and maximizes physician level care to those that need it. I’d rather see a CRNA knocked out of commission due to transmission than an anesthesiologist.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

You sound like him.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ha, death isn’t what I meant, I mean ‘out of commission’ as in can’t work for a period of time. Of course I don’t want anyone to get sick, particularly my coworkers. I was looking at it as a systems approach to a limited resource problem in a threat-level-midnight scenario that is being rapidly approached in many areas.

That honestly makes the most sense, they’re highly experienced in intubation and do fine with the straightforward surgeries these patients are going to need (appys, etc) while you are a highly trained physician with skills that transcend the OR. This minimizes your exposure to the higher risk procedures and potential transmission and maximizes physician level care to those that need it. I’d rather see a CRNA knocked out of commission due to transmission than an anesthesiologist.

Let’s be honest. As we are learning In my practice very quickly, most anesthesiologists (myself included)are nowhere near ICU docs in terms of skill and knowledge. I’m not seeing anybody swoop in and save the day with our “highly trained physician skill”. Just vent management, lines, and drips.

Reactions: 1 user
Let’s be honest. As we are learning In my practice very quickly, most anesthesiologists (myself included)are nowhere near ICU docs in terms of skill and knowledge. I’m not seeing anybody swoop in and save the day with our “highly trained physician skill”. Just vent management, lines, and drips.
Let's be honest. There is no "swoop in and save the day" with this disease.

Reactions: 3 users
I would love to go back and do a critical care fellowship but my income is my prison. The future of this specialty seems bleak without some refinement.

Why can a law get passed letting CRNAs get free practice, but we can’t get a law protecting physicians from lawsuits when they can’t take care of the COVID pts due to shortages (of icu nurses, PPE, vents) and when they start triaging care and pulling plugs from grannie so grandson can get a vent?

Why can a law get passed letting CRNAs get free practice, but we can’t get a law protecting physicians from lawsuits when they can’t take care of the COVID pts due to shortages (of icu nurses, PPE, vents) and when they start triaging care and pulling plugs from grannie so grandson can get a vent?
Because there are more lawyers than doctors in Congress?

Reactions: 3 users
And I thought having Jerome Adams in a high position would be of some benefit. I guess not

At least it's temporary and goes back to what it was once the "crisis" is over. Except for Arizona - their governor totally caved.

Why isn't this getting more attention besides this one website? Seems like a big enough deal that more people should be talking about this.

Why isn't this getting more attention besides this one website? Seems like a big enough deal that more people should be talking about this.

Because you aren’t writing your politicians or the asa. Devise a letter a post it on here and we will sign it and send it off. Include addresses with your post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least it's temporary and goes back to what it was once the "crisis" is over. Except for Arizona - their governor totally caved.

does it have a specific end date?

Knocked out of commission? You are a disgusting human being.

Knocked out of commission? You are a disgusting human being.
What’s disgusting are the midlevels/ their organizational representatives who used a pandemic/ people dying to expand their scope and to personally profit off of it. Absolutely repulsive.

What’s disgusting are the midlevels/ their organizational representatives who used a pandemic/ people dying to expand their scope and to personally profit off of it. Absolutely repulsive.

Ambulance chasers in their finest moment, these are the people clamoring to be psuedo docs, wonder how eager they are to manage Covid and critically ill patients without recourse. But hey, when there's a crisis, some see opportunity, like bears to honey

Putting politics aside for one moment...wishing harm on another is still f_cked up.

Furthermore, the "let the nurse go intubate the super infectious critically ill hypoxic pt if they want to play doctor so bad" approach isn't good from a medical, ethical, or frankly even a PR standpoint.

• Hmm
Status
Not open for further replies.