Ten Biggest Mistakes Psychiatrists Make

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alone

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi again. In a semi-troll state--

Back in September I wrote a piece called How To Write A Suicide Note which, surprising even to me, is being considered for publication in Psychiatric Times.

So, I wrote another piece called the The Ten Biggest Mistakes Psychiatrists Make.

Enjoy (I hope.)

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com

Members don't see this ad.

:thumbup:

Back in September I wrote a piece called How To Write A Suicide Note which, surprising even to me, is being considered for publication in Psychiatric Times.

So, I wrote another piece called the The Ten Biggest Mistakes Psychiatrists Make.

Enjoy (I hope.)

I love reading your thoughts--the first response that comes to mind is the SNL skit where Shatner addresses the Star Trek convention:laugh: --but the tiny white on black type gives me a headache!!!!

My thoughts on your thoughts: :)
(some points are skipped)

1. I agree completely. Usually less is definately more. I as a psychiatrist are there to evaluate. That means I'll ask the questions that I feel with further my assessment, or clarify issues that will further my assessment. This should ideally have an impact on treatment.

This is not to say that healthy curiousity has no place in the interview. It's one of our innate qualities as humans, and can often lead to the root of motivations and behaviors - which are then treated.

2. Take too much history. This is one of my pet peeves. There seems to be a direct inverse relationship between the strength of the resident/attending, and the amount of copious detail obtained. I'm not interested in where my 62 year old decompensated schizophrenic attended high school, and you're right - I don't trust other peoples' diagnoses when it comes to family history. Attendings, nearly invariably, will push for deeper and deeper histories in hopes that more thorough presentations and history taking (of course not done by them) will somehow get them off the hook, allowing them to return to their faculty practice earlier.

3. Blame lawyers/insurance companies/big pharma.
Lawyers are a problem. I'm not sure how anyone can think they are not. WHile your belief in the American Justice system is stout and utopian, it's also somewhat naive and appears unrealistic. Not all malpractice cases have merit, as you point out, but some do make it to trial that should not have. Even one is too much. Defensive medicine costs the country billions/year. This is a direct product of medical litigation. 10 million dollar settlements from average IQ juries DO happen to mothers whose children are born with MR and CP. It's not right, and it is our reality. It is an adversarial system by definition, and doctors have nothing to gain...they can only lose. Of course, the opposite is true of lawyers, as they incur their own immunity and have mostly to only benefit from outrageous awards.

They have no means of self-regulation, unlike physicians, and they know that easy money can be made in the med-mal business. It's a visciously competitive world for attornies, and this is one way they can maintain their perceived lifestyle. It should not come on the backs of doctors. "Laws" such as "get rid of bad doctors" statutes in Florida are a disgusting example of this.

4. Become social policy analysts. Another pet peeve of mine. We have no business shaping fringe issues such as gay marriage, use of psychiatric techinques in interrogation, etc. YOUR view on morals or the APA's view may not be my view, or even the majority. No one wants to appear cold hearted, and the groupthink mentality is rarely useful.

5. Therapy is important. However, not all patients want, nor do I think they need, in-depth analysis or "rehashing" as one of my patients says of their old issues and hurts. OCD is nearly 100% biological. Some of my patients with OCD function perfectly in the outside world with the benefit of medication. They don't want therapy, and frankly, they don't need it.
The same can hold true for other disorders such as schizophrenia and even bipolar disorder.

6. Sometimes people don't need to know.
Exactly. Another phrase I also use that makes my attending cringe. They feel the need to disclose the 95th possible side effect that occured in on in a sample of 3000 patients due to #3 above. :cool:

7. Polypharmacy. This a difficult one.
I'll be honest. Sometimes it's indicated. It's not just me that thinks that. Some great pharmacologists (Stahl, etc), advocate this. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as "all antipsychotics block dopamine receptors, so why are you adding another one." We're only beginning to see now that there are neurochemical pathways that are not unique to humans as a whole, and that different same class medications have different effect on receptor subtypes, etc. This is why one antipsychotic may cause orthostatic hypotension, while another will rarely do so.

Let me be clear. I in no way advocate someone being on 3 antipsychotics, 2 antidepressants, and a benzo. That is unreasonable. However, I have seen on dozens of occasions, stabilization that occured only after a second agent was added, with concomitant decompensation when the second agent (or the first) was discontinued some time later.

Thankfully, there is a push to not blindly follow scientific outcome and evidence based medicine. While a core in evidence base is important, there is an important axiom that must be remembered: What works for all "those" patients may not work for my patient. In no branch of medicine is this more true than psychiatry. My job is to get the patient feeling better and to remain stable. If two medications accomplishes that goal while one does not, I'm keeping them on two.

Of course, monotherapy is the strived-for goal if at all possible.

8. His axial diagnosis is "Nothing!"
Again I couldn't agree more. It seems to me that it is the more immature and unsophisticated psychiatrist that feels the need to label anything and everything (including behaviors) that walk into the door. No one is more of a fan of classic descriptive psychiatry than me, but there is an important difference between "diagnosis" and "description." The former is often useless.

Great thoughts.
Keep them up!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting post Sazi, however I disagree with your statement that OCD is nearly 100% biological. I will not ask you to show research that supports this as I know there isn't any, but even the most heavily biologically loaded psych disorders (schizo and bipolar) are not near 100% biological; at the best research shows 60-70%. Also, CBT has been shown to be quite effective with OCD, and does not involve psychodynamic rehashing of possibly tangential information from the past.

7. Polypharmacy. This a difficult one.
I'll be honest. Sometimes it's indicated. It's not just me that thinks that. Some great pharmacologists (Stahl, etc), advocate this. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as "all antipsychotics block dopamine receptors, so why are you adding another one." We're only beginning to see now that there are neurochemical pathways that are not unique to humans as a whole, and that different same class medications have different effect on receptor subtypes, etc. This is why one antipsychotic may cause orthostatic hypotension, while another will rarely do so.

Yeah, and what about antipsychotics that have very little D2 blockade, like quetiapine and clozapine?

Re the policy issues, I do think it's a good idea for psychiatrists to advocate for issues that impact patient care, like more funding for community services, parity for mental health insurance coverage, that kind of thing. But yeah, an APA policy statement on gay marriage is kinda stupid. Perhaps they're trying to compensate for putting homosexuality in the DSM 2 or whatever edition it was...

Anyway, as a naive little intern, I really enjoy reading your blog, so please keep it up. :)

PS Agree with above about the white text/black background.

Interesting post Sazi, however I disagree with your statement that OCD is nearly 100% biological. I will not ask you to show research that supports this as I know there isn't any, but even the most heavily biologically loaded psych disorders (schizo and bipolar) are not near 100% biological; at the best research shows 60-70%. Also, CBT has been shown to be quite effective with OCD, and does not involve psychodynamic rehashing of possibly tangential information from the past.

The gene is nearly isolated and it can be invoked in animal studies. OCD - not the personality disorder. It's primarily biological.

There is no research that can delineate what percentage (bio vs. non-bio) a disorder is. But, we do have genetics and heritability studies. Gene influences and diathesis/stress models make the most sense. But the point is moot in either case. These disorders need pharmaotherapeutic intervention.

Of course, I agree that non pharmacologic interventions can help improve symptoms of OCD and other disorders. It's primarily useless against schizophrenia, recurrence of bipolar episodes and severe OCD. In other words, just because something can improve with therapy or CBT in no way implies that it's not of biological origin. Though I admit we're using the term loosely here.

Therapy can improve subjective symptoms of the common cold. It's still a 'biological' illness.

Enjoy (I hope.)

Interesting piece and site: i have to admit that i found myself agreeing with u on most of ur points but not on the role of psychiatrists as social policy advocates. If psychiatry is about the medical study, assessment, and treatment of the biological, psychological, and social dimensions of mental illness then how could the APsychiatricA not address the issue of social discrimination and is impact on mental health, especially given its influence as a contributing factor in depressive, anxiety, substance use, and personality disorders? I think that the APsychiatricA has moved in the direction of increased social advocacy not because of moral concerns (individual principles based on one's religious and cultural beliefs) but because of ethical ones (common principles based on professional aspirations) that, just like in the rest of medicine, are moving in the direction of complimenting a curative healthcare with a preventive one. By advocating for marriage rights for same sex couples the APsychiatricA is basically providing a preventive intervention strategy that would result in reducing the social discimination that sexual minorities experience and that is a significant stressor against the mental health of many gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender individuals.

I assumed we were talking etiology of actual disease states. If this is the case then meta-analyses of MZ-twin studies come pretty close to fleshing out how much nature-nurture contribute to development of specific disorders. Up until the past 5-6 years no study has shown heritability of a psych disorder to be >50% genetic (Rutter et al, and many others). Recent studies have actually broken that barrier up to 60-70% genetic-load for Bipolar and Schizo, but that still leaves alot of variation explained by environmental factors. Just because we have isolated the gene for OCD-full syndrome does not mean everyone with that gene will get it; that is the point I am making. Why genes can lie dormant in some and get expressed in others is fascinating stuff, and some of that variance is explained by life experience.

Why genes can lie dormant in some and get expressed in others is fascinating stuff, and some of that variance is explained by life experience.

That may be true, but I can't assume that life experience can make the difference between gene expression and dormancy of a disease state in every case. To me, 70% expression of a diease state in a mono twin is damn well biological. Our example of OCD is a tough one, as the phenotypic expression of the disorder is still even hotly debated. i.e. relation to Gilles de la Tourette's syndrome, comorbidity with eating disorders, panic disorder, other anxiety disorders, and others. Few to no studies have elucidated, as of this writing, the elucidation of disease state differences.

Backing off the medical model, you can't explain certain phenotype differences in twins, for example, based on life experience (eye color is a simple example). Though I should say that the diathesis/stress model of psychiatric illness seems to have the most face validity when speaking of manifestion of illness in patients.

Recent findings in the genetics of OCD.
J Clin Psychiatry. 2002;63 Suppl 6:30-3

The gene is nearly isolated and it can be invoked in animal studies. OCD - not the personality disorder. It's primarily biological.

There is no research that can delineate what percentage (bio vs. non-bio) a disorder is. But, we do have genetics and heritability studies. Gene influences and diathesis/stress models make the most sense. But the point is moot in either case. These disorders need pharmaotherapeutic intervention.

Of course, I agree that non pharmacologic interventions can help improve symptoms of OCD and other disorders. It's primarily useless against schizophrenia, recurrence of bipolar episodes and severe OCD. In other words, just because something can improve with therapy or CBT in no way implies that it's not of biological origin. Though I admit we're using the term loosely here.

Therapy can improve subjective symptoms of the common cold. It's still a 'biological' illness.

Everytime you learn something--whether it is restructuring a cognitive distortion or reconciling your ambivalence about your toilet training--you are using a biological organ, the brain. Therapy, psychology, even spirituality are all biological functions.

OPD, I totally agree. However by this logic, for this discussion everything is simply biologically based, so what purpose do we have. We know the psyche can and does change the bio quite profoundly, and this is the interesting part for me.

Thanks for the encouraging comments. I have no idea what number ten is. That's ADHD for you.

OCD as biological:Certainly genetic data suggests it's strongly heritable, but in a purely philosophical vein, has anyone noticed that in 3-5 year old kids, a certain amount of compulsive hoarding and exacting rituals are normal? I liken it to a hook; you have to raise your hanger above the hook, to lower it to the resting state, if you don't get it above that hook, it doesn't hold. And with kids, if you don't hook in to the beginning part of the ritual, the rest of the day collapses. And then kids grow out of it. Or maybe they don't... just an observation.

As for Anasazi's point, well, that's the controversy right there. You mentioned eye color; the typical Mendelian model. Except eye color is three genes, not two. So it's not that simple after all.

As for phenotypic expression, the old dichotomy of nature vs. nurture doesn't apply. We know for certain, now, that environment can control not only how genes are expressed (methylation, etc) but even if they are inherited at all. Consider many reptiles: the gender of the offspring is controlled by the temperature of incubation-- AFTER fertilization, and under the decision of the mother.

In psychiatry the current MAO-A controversy is a good example: does having low MAO-A predispose you to becoming antisocial; or does having high MAO-A protect you from it? It's a very important distinction for society.

I have no doubt that as psychiatrists of the future, one of our chief goals will be to implement environmental maneuvers with the specific goal of modifying gene expression (one we know what these are.)

Lawyers: Getting sued and losing a suit are two different things. Suits come up all the time; but 84% of trials are won by the defense (doctor.) 84% is very, very high, considering that in at least some of those, the doctor did do something wrong. But wrong isn't negligence.

To Anasazi: When I said refer to therapy, I didn't mean to imply everyone needs therapy. I was trying to reconnect with the idea that patients need to learn how to deal with symptoms, because pharmacological methods are not going to be perfect; but your point is well taken.

Thanks for the comments. Discussions like this really are the best way of learning, because inevitably people are going to see something that you could never have thought of on your own. We should start a Wiki or something.

I found this article (an others on your site) to be a disturbing eye-opener, especially your criticism of how we prescribe meds. You're obviously extremely well versed in the psychopharm literature, and I believe that part of the solution your propose is that we all achieve your level of knowledge of (and ability to scrutinize) the literature supporting what we do. Although ideal, I think this is unrealistic, which is why we rely on the "Expert" guidelines you so criticize:

"It is now common practice, as defined in numerous 'Expert' guidelines and consensuses that patients with bipolar disorder need to be on a mood stabilizer, specifically lithium or the antiepileptic Depakote."

As a busy PGY-2 trying to learn psychopharm I rely on basic texts and expert opinions, i.e. the APA guidelines. You place "expert" in quotations – suggesting that they are not valid or trustworthy.

The APA states the following about the APA guidelines:

"Developed by expert work groups, who review available evidence using an explicit methodology. Iterative drafts undergo wide review by experts, allied organizations, and any APA member on request. Every guideline is also reviewed and approved for publication by the APA Assembly and Board of Trustees. The development of APA practice guidelines has not been financially supported by any commercial organization."

So, if I can't trust this process…carried about by the governing body of our profession, then what can I trust? It seems your answer is to become as versed in the literature as you. I find residency challenging and formidable enough. If I can't rely on texts and APA guidelines, and instead have to comb through PubMed and try to make sense of the data myself, then I give up. Isn't that what the APA is already doing in developing the guidelines? Our IM colleagues utilize all sorts of guidelines (e.g. JNC-7) that they seem to trust. What I'm afraid is…is that you're right. And if you're right, then my residency is training me to be another cog in the machine that you fear "will not survive as a medical subspecialty if it continues along this path. It will lose its dignity, and worse, it will become irrelevant."

So, what do you recommend I do? I don't mean this to be sarcastic. I'm a resident working 60-70 hours a week, and I'm trying to read at least a couple hours a week. What should I be reading? It seems that everything I'm reading, according to you, is just teaching me "artificial paradigm(s) which (are) arbitrarily derived from unproven assumptions, justified by inappropriate logic." I'm telling you, I can't start from scratch and start reviewing the literature on every drug, and drug-combination, ever devised. I wish I could. Honestly. If everything you're saying is true, then the solution is not that everyone become as knowledgeable as you, but instead…we need evidenced-based guidelines that you'd find acceptable. Do you think that's unattainable?

Please don't interpret me incorrectly. I don't mean to say that we all shouldn't strive to be well-read on the primary literature. And I agree we should all become better equipped to scrutinize the "research" (see, you've got me using skeptical quotes now) that's paraded before us by the Pharm Reps.

Again, what do you suggest I start reading? I've been studying the APA guidelines, K&S, the APA Board Review Book, and recently, the Janicak Principles and Practice of Psychopharm. (Which, btw, states that "(Depakote) is the best-studied of the mood stabilizers and is emerging as a highly effective alternative treatment to lithium for acute mania," which is in direct contrast to your contention that "there has never been a study that found that Depakote is a mood stabilizer" and that "few studies have been done show no benefit over placebo for this purpose.")

If my reply to all this sounds contentious, it's not. I am frustrated that everything I'm reading turns out to be wrong.

You don't have a link to your other piece, How To Write a Suicide Note, do you?

Again, what do you suggest I start reading? I've been studying the APA guidelines, K&S, the APA Board Review Book, and recently, the Janicak Principles and Practice of Psychopharm. (Which, btw, states that "(Depakote) is the best-studied of the mood stabilizers and is emerging as a highly effective alternative treatment to lithium for acute mania," which is in direct contrast to your contention that "there has never been a study that found that Depakote is a mood stabilizer" and that "few studies have been done show no benefit over placebo for this purpose.")

Please somebody correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think he's talking about maintenence therapy. While it's been shown to work for acute mania, Depakote doesn't actually have an FDA indication for bipolar maintenence.

I agree with you though - it's frustating to try and keep straight supported info vs lore when you are still trying to learn the basics (I'm a PGY1). I don't think other specialties have this problem so much. But on the other extreme, if psych were to become like internal medicine where you risk stratify everyone and assign them points and stick them into an alogorithm, that may be good for the patients, but I'd be bored out of my skull.

Anyway, right now our didactics are more survey type stuff, and I hear we get into hardcore psychopharm next year, which I'm looking forward to. In the meantime, I really enjoy lastpsych's blog because it motivates me go and do a pubmed search when he says something that challenges the basic assumptions I've picked up as a med student (such as the lack of evidence for SSRIs inducing mania). Please, keep up the subversion :)

The biggest ones (at least in my area) seem to make...

1)Completely overlook medical problems when admitting pts to the inpatient unit.

E.g. pt has broken legs...medically cleared and admitted, all the while nothing was done for the legs. The ER doc made no mention of the broken legs, the crisis staff & psychiatrist did not address the issue at all.
E.g BUN of 32, Cr of 1.0, medically cleared & admitted, no one checked up on it for 3 days, until I took the case over because I was on call. So then I have to do a repeat BMP, make sure the patient is hydrated and look up the past med hx. Turned out to be just simple dehydration but it could've been acute renal failure.
E.g. Pt has chest pain, doesn't speak English, so the ER thinks he's psychotic because he's not making sense. The idiot crisis Psychiatrist doesn't bother to use a translator---> he gets into the inpt unit. I use a translator and he was c/o chest pain which has now resolved.

2) When psychiatrists do pay attention to medical problems, they consult too much--overkill
E.g. pt coughs (1 time, no fever, does not smoke, no med hx)-med consult
e.g. pt has athlete's food/tinea pedis: order: medical consult: reason: pt has B/L gangrenous feet
e.g. pt has a potassium of 3.4: order: medconsult: reason: hypokalemia

3) Because psychiatry often treats patients who are medically stable, the psychiatrist doesn't do his/her homework and just gives the same meds to everybody.
e.g. depressed-lexapro
manic: risperdal & depakote
psychotic: risperdal
anxious: lexapro & prn ativan
This is the same thing given to EVERYBODY!---like you needed 4 years of medschool and another 4 years of residency to just do this to every single patient you see.

When you got patients with dangerous med problems, the doc usually does the most up to date, state of the art therapy and do it carefully, and often double checks him/herself. A lot of psychiatrists I see just get lazy and throw the same thing at everyone and don't give 2 hoots on staying up to date.

The biggest ones (at least in my area) seem to make...

1)Completely overlook medical problems when admitting pts to the inpatient unit.

E.g. pt has broken legs...medically cleared and admitted, all the while nothing was done for the legs. The ER doc made no mention of the broken legs, the crisis staff & psychiatrist did not address the issue at all.
E.g BUN of 32, Cr of 1.0, medically cleared & admitted, no one checked up on it for 3 days, until I took the case over because I was on call. So then I have to do a repeat BMP, make sure the patient is hydrated and look up the past med hx. Turned out to be just simple dehydration but it could've been acute renal failure.

I see this a lot when I'm on the inpatient unit or on call. The problem is, the ER is quick to say "medically stable", they don't even do a complete exam on some of the psych patients, just check off the PE on their one page H&P.

And if there is a problem such as the BUN/Cr as you say they just look blankly at me and shrug saying "well, he/she isn't symptomatic".

This board is great, and I've gotten some great ideas for posts lurking around here. BTW, cafepharma.com is the drug rep equivalent of this board, and you can learn a lot about the business of pharma there, and I think that goes a long way to understanding how we get "pushed" certain info and meds over others (e.g. why Ambien over sonata?)

I have to reply specifically to Teufelhunden, who essentially asks: how is a clinician supposed to know what's best practice without relying on thought leaders, etc? If we can't trust those writers, what are we supposed to do, re-learn everything from scratch?

The point is well taken. Here are two answers:

philosophical: Aren't you describing, exactly, politics? The people in the know aren't completely forthcoming or unbiased, and that includes media? So now what? Who watches the watchmen?

Practical: Two part answer. First, there are people you can trust as teachers, obviously. But a quick screen, in my mind, is anyone who treats a disease state and not a person is probably not the guy you want to learn from. Certainly patients have similarities of sx, history, course that make some educated predictions possible. But dogma has no place in psychiatry, simply because we're not there yet.

Every time any attending ever teaches you something, politely ask, "how do we know that?" If they are making it sound like there are studies about it, ask him to quote one. And clinical experience is fine-- but they have to disclose that.

Second, and the real answer to your question: 30 minutes of reading a day is all that's necessary to become as "well versed in psychopharm" as I am (and thanks for the compliment.) Residents find it hard because they don't know where to start, so the learning isn't actually easy (i.e. it doesn't build on itself.) Simply being aware of the number of studies is great information. (e.g. how many studies show Depakote is a preventative of mania? Answer: zero.)

Check out the thread about important articles here on SD. Also, read the package inserts: trust me on that one. Skip the side effects parts, focus on the clinical studies.

Ask the drug reps about their competition. The Zyprexa rep is going to know every study that shows Risperdal doesn't work. The studies. You want a quick breakdown of Catie? The reps had hours of training on it. Of course they are biased, etc, you don't have to accept it blankly, but it's a starting point to read on your own. ("Did that Geodon rep tell me more than half dropped out?")

Finally-- and this is what got me into the questioning mode-- in any review article you read, look up the references used for the introduction. When someone writes, "it is known that...", check out that reference to see if, in fact, it is known. On my blog under the subject "WRONG" there are a few examples of that, but part from being astounded that this can actually happen, it really accelerates your learning.

Finally finally, I think medicine is an art more than science, but there is one maxim that is inviolable: if the benefits do not outweigh the risks, you shouldn't do it.

Sorry, one last thing:

the absence of a financial relationship does not suggest objectivity. Having links to pharma also don't imply lack of objectivity-- you have to go deeper than that. CATIE was government funded-- any surprise the generic came out on top? (I'm only making a point here.)

A bias that goes deeper than money is personal prejudice. Does a psychiatrist have a personal belief that bipolar is strictly biological? Then the idea of maintenance therapy is going to be very, very important for them, and they will cling to it. If you believe it is more environmental, perhaps the idea of a chemical used to "prevent" reactions to the environment is an anathema. etc, etc.

I am treating a 32 year old borderline. What race is she? Why did you pick white? A second example: In the area I practice, if the patient comes to me on Lamictal and Seroquel, I know who treated him. Is that person bought by Glaxo and AZ, or does their bias make them "see" bipolar depression all over the place? I'm not saying it isn't the right treatment-- I'm pointing out that if I can predict what doctor they went to, then that means that doctor has a bias that is predictable.

Money is a source of bias, but it doesn't mean the data is bad-- it simply means the "Discussion" section needs to be taken with a grain of salt. But personal bias is very hard to predict. For example, personal bias would affect whether or not to even study a given question. Anyone read any recent studies that poor parenting may have a role in the development of X or Y?

Finally, articles are written by academics, not in the field clinicians. You're an associate prof trying to make it, you're going to study the questions that get you where you want to go. Funding is either pharma, NIH, or university. If you're mentor is working on Abilify for OCD, guess what? So are you. Now PubMed has TWO different researchers on this question, whereas had you been independently wealthy, maybe you would have investigated something else. But Pubmed is now stacked towards Abilify for OCD. I think you follow my point. And NIH is worse, as anyone who does NIH funded work will tell you. If NIH decides it's the season of the intron, then intronic research gets more play AT THE EXPENSE of the exon. (Metaphor.)