Ten easy ways to get into international dentist program in usa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deep100

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are they????????

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
We already know NYU is going to take off the AS program. Heard news that Tufts is taking off the International program sometime in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are they????????

I would say Keep trying actively with improved application every time. I have seen all students getting in if they are sincerely working to get in.

I think luck matters too...........

The First one should be GET A NON-INDIAN PASSPORT. :laugh:

hahahahaha fantasticccccccccccccccc, looks like u r an indian fed up with ur own fellows at the battleground

I dont have time to get fed up because competition is so high:laugh:

Last edited:
Come to think of it, I am sure the schools know that there are a lot of indians, but come on we do have the second highest population in the world, so I am sure they are not stupid to realize that there will be more indian students applying. In the end of the day, it depends on you as a person, your qualifications etc. Make your application the best in the pool :)

What are they????????

1) Remember it is getting easier and easier to get a license here!

- Economy is bad and most schools are desperate for money. That means a lot more schools are starting to offer the program or opening more spots.
- SDN can be good and bad. Great way to get information, but also a great way to compare yourself with those who are bragging about their stats making you lose motivation

2) Work hard on your resume and its content
- Pick a good presentation and format, make sure you review the grammar with someone proficient in English and who also understands dental terms. We do not need to make ourselves look like " FOBs" even though we are :p
- Make your resume rich. Make sure your describe your experiences the right way. In case you had a lot of clinical experience in your school add NUMBERs there. that might impress them. Say you extracted more than 500 teeth while in dental school, did gingival grafts surgeries or placed implants... That is something most students are not exposed to in Dental School in America
- If you have no experience: volunteer as a dental assistant. Shadow an American dentist. Volunteer in a Dental school. Take CE courses
-Read samples of good resumes from people who got accepted

3) Get Good recommendation letters.
-By following the previous recommendation on getting experience you might meet some faculty or American Dentist who can write you a good letter
-If your letters come from a foreigner, make sure you help him/her by correcting grammar is possible and offering samples of how Americans write letters of recommendation

4) Write a good letter of intent
-Get it reviewed by many people. Dentists and non dentists. Ask them to correct grammar and give suggestions
-Read samples of good letters from people who have been accepted

5)Practice hand skills
-Either buy yourself a compressor on ebay or go use someone's office or dental lab to practice...

6) Practice interview..
-Learn all you can about it. Questions, how to behave, what to wear, etc

7) Do not be picky...

If you really wanna get in, apply everywhere! Every school available...even if that means you will live away from your husband/wife. It is just for 2 years !

8) Be persistent

If you got rejected.. Start all over again. Dont give up on your dreams

9)Make sure that is the path you want. Have you ever looked into getting licensed by taking an specialty program?? Why not trying both??

10) Finally, be optimistic. If you shoot for the starts you will at least reach the moon , right ;)

Reactions: 2 users

- Economy is bad and most schools are desperate for money. That means a lot more schools are starting to offer the program or opening more spots.
- SDN can be good and bad. Great way to get information, but also a great way to compare yourself with those who are bragging about their stats making you lose motivation

- Pick a good presentation and format, make sure you review the grammar with someone proficient in English and who also understands dental terms. We do not need to make ourselves look like " FOBs" even though we are :p
- Make your resume rich. Make sure your describe your experiences the right way. In case you had a lot of clinical experience in your school add NUMBERs there. that might impress them. Say you extracted more than 500 teeth while in dental school, did gingival grafts surgeries or placed implants... That is something most students are not exposed to in Dental School in America
- If you have no experience: volunteer as a dental assistant. Shadow an American dentist. Volunteer in a Dental school. Take CE courses

-By following the previous recommendation on getting experience you might meet some faculty or American Dentist who can write you a good letter
-If your letters come from a foreigner, make sure you help him/her by correcting grammar is possible and offering samples of how Americans write letters of recommendation

-Get it reviewed by many people. Dentists and non dentists. Ask them to correct grammar and give suggestions

5)Practice hand skills
-Either buy yourself a compressor on ebay or go use someone's office or dental lab to practice...

6) Practice interview..

7) Do not be picky...

If you really wanna get in, apply everywhere! Every school available...even if that means you will live away from your husband/wife. It is just for 2 years !

8) Be persistent

9)Make sure that is the path you want. Have you ever looked into getting licensed by taking an specialty program?? Why not trying both??

10) Finally, be optimistic. If you shoot for the starts you will at least reach the moon , right ;)
Great post, I agree with most.

5)Practice hand skills

6) Practice interview..

7) Do not be picky...

8) Be persistent

Hey I really thank you for putting in useful information for many like me...
I also wanted to ask you this that I have some research experience in the Oral Pathology department back in my dental school in my home country...it was not published though coz it was volunteery out of my interest to get an experience...Will it work someway? How can I highlight this experience? My HOD oral path has also added encouraging words in my letter of evaluation regarding this interest of mine for research and I also have related synopsis n details regarding the project. Will it help?
Please guide...

Last edited:
Hey I really thank you for putting in useful information for many like me...
I also wanted to ask you this that I have some research experience in the Oral Pathology department back in my dental school in my home country...it was not published though coz it was volunteery out of my interest to get an experience...Will it work someway? How can I highlight this experience? My HOD oral path has also added encouraging words in my letter of evaluation regarding this interest of mine for research and I also have related synopsis n details regarding the project. Will it help?
Please guide...

I am sure it counts! Add a field " Research experience" on your resume and add the tittle of the research, the department and school where you developed it, and a brief summary of what the research consisted of (sort of like if it was a quick abstract )
And it is a smart idea to add that to your letter of intent... anything is better than nothing!

Obviously, it is not the same as doing a big project and publishing it on a respected Oral Path magazine or something, but it sure shows you were interested and involved while in Dental school

I am sure it counts! Add a field " Research experience" on your resume and add the tittle of the research, the department and school where you developed it, and a brief summary of what the research consisted of (sort of like if it was a quick abstract )
And it is a smart idea to add that to your letter of intent... anything is better than nothing!

Obviously, it is not the same as doing a big project and publishing it on a respected Oral Path magazine or something, but it sure shows you were interested and involved while in Dental school

Thanks For the information...
1) I was a practicing dentist for five years in my home country before I came to the US on a student visa. I had enrolled in an MS Cell Biology program in a well known university here but due to some personal reasons I had to leave the course... Can I include this anywhere in my profile?
2), I had a teaching experience at a dental school in my home country which is of a short duration... I have a written letter stating it... Again I wanted to know where Can I include this experience in the entire application process?
It wud be great to know your views....

Hi....Ilovegoldens,,thank you so much for sharing great information.!!

Great post there Golden!!!

I have a question about the recommendation letters. In some schools it talks about getting a recommendation letter from an dentist that you worked under. Is that applicable to when we worked in our former country or when we worked in the US? Because I have an experience certificate from my home country. .. will that be enough?

Thanks again. Expecting your reply soon!!!