Ten things I learned in medical school (Other than, you know, the medical stuff)

This is a wonderfully written piece. While still giving full credit to the rigors of this path..... I wanted to say that I especially like her inclusion of the coffee truck workers. It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that any part of your journey with medicine is more 'challenging' than someone else's life journey (part of that is likely due to the pedestal that society places Physicians on and a fair amount of being intimidated by your own goal) but it can be calming to know that others go through challenges as well that may be just as difficult, you just have to approach things from the right perspective. It's all manageable if you have the right mind set =)

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the most helpful articles/posts for a MS3 on this forum.

It should be linked/offered to anyone who asks "What can I do to do well in clerkship/MS3?" or similar questions.

My best/worst medical students seemed to have followed this/went against it.

The best 2 medical students I had in family medicine inpatient service were not interested in family medicine, yet they still stand out in my mind years later. They would come early without even asking "whats the latest I can come in"(I have been asked this). They would start helping interns or looking up labs or getting a radiologist to read an xray before rounds without me even asking or demanding (which I have also had to do). They were always present, always on rounds on time, always active in conversations. When I asked if they wanted to do/see something they would not only answer "yes" but they seeemed enthuastic about it. I gave these two the best evaluations I could think of with statements which would look great on a deans letter.

My 2 worst medical students WANTED to do family medicine. They would come in late, sometimes missing ALL of prerounds. They would never be prepared, in prerounds we often would get a sudden admission that must be done before we started rounds - even though it wasn't planned - these medical students were NEVER prepared to see this patient. I consider admissions one of the most important parts of learning during inpatient service yet they constantly "did not have enough time" to do it. They would never do anything unless I specifically named them and told them exactly what to do. They never volunteered. They would often magically "disappear" after rounds or when we had a discussion.

Following this article you can be part of a team where you actually valued - which will make our experience more enjoyable and more useful to your education!

Following this article you can be part of a team where you actually valued - which will make our experience more enjoyable and more useful to your education!

Great endorsement, Dr. Styphon. I notice that intelligence/acumen didn't factor directly into these exceptional evaluations--interesting to note that it's all about what you can do for the team.